Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

A good guy shot dead a robber, interesting things.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    laurelpark
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2011
    • 1013

    Wow. I certainly hope I never have to shoot anyone - but I hope even more that I'm armed and ready if a situation like that confronts me...

    Comment

    • #17
      beanz2
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Nov 2008
      • 12032

      I think the guy was misunderstood, he was trying to sell Ted some heirloom gun he found in the back alley for college expenses. Ted fired indiscriminately at him as he started to say "Good afternoon, Mr. Jeweler, I'm quite pleased to see you . . . . " as he fits the stereotype. This man is actually a gentle giant and would not harm anything, a father to 5 children and good companion to their mothers. His 45-year old grandma, four aunts and his seven stepsisters would attest to his wit and kindness. He had planned to turn his life around by attending Harvard University, after he gets his high school GED in two years.

      </sarcasm>
      sigpic
      The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.

      Comment

      • #18
        INCINR8
        Member
        • Dec 2012
        • 276

        Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
        Why fire more shots? The suspect was stopped. You said he went to the floor. If you shoot someone on the floor, they will be able to tell, particularly if shots go tnt and end up in the floor.
        If the suspect has or is near the gun and is still moving, He may be percieved a threat, no matter his position. Shot him on the floor or in the back, no problem as long as he is a threat. IMO.

        Comment

        • #19
          bigbearbear
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2011
          • 5378

          Originally posted by sidelock
          So, my conclusion is fire more shots.
          Don't. You shoot to stop the threat, once the threat is gone your right to use deadly force ceases. If you walk up to some dude bleeding on the floor faced down and empty your gun into him, you'll end up in jail for sure.

          I think I want a .357mag revolver now after reading this thread.

          Comment

          • #20
            bigbearbear
            Calguns Addict
            • Jun 2011
            • 5378

            Originally posted by 1911su16b870
            This is friggin funny.

            Comment

            • #21
              S.A.
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2009
              • 2114

              Op, did Ted get his gun back?

              Comment

              • #22
                SoCalPI
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2003
                • 1994

                Originally posted by bigbearbear
                Don't. You shoot to stop the threat, once the threat is gone your right to use deadly force ceases. If you walk up to some dude bleeding on the floor faced down and empty your gun into him, you'll end up in jail for sure.

                I think I want a .357mag revolver now after reading this thread.
                To inflict maximum pain and suffering? Shot at point blank range in the chest and head and leaves the guy squirming? I guess he was incapacitated and died a justified death. If it had been a .45, he would have been dead before Ted pulled the trigger.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Cokebottle
                  Seņor Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 32373

                  Originally posted by MrOrange
                  4. If the assailant is on the floor and out of the fight, you don't get to execute him with more shots while he's on the ground. This isn't Fallujah, and you ain't a soldier.
                  This.

                  As stated, this is not the movies. You aren't going to drop a bad guy "dead in his tracks" with one, two, or possibly even 5 bullets.

                  You are going to kill a man through bleed-out, or by a CNS hit that causes paralysis to the heart and respiratory system.
                  You may also stop the threat with one shot even though it is not a hit on a critical area when the bad guy realizes that you WILL kill him and decides to retreat. This is an advantage against human attackers that we generally do not have against animals.

                  Yes, it was one shot to the body and one to the head.
                  Either COULD have been fatal... lung to kidney to liver could cause enough damage to cause bleed-out... but the brain remains alive for 4 minutes after the loss of blood flow.
                  That "moving" bad guy could possibly have already been "dead".

                  The head shot, it depends on what it passed through. Passing through only one hemisphere there is a good possibility of survival (Gabby Giffords, Jim Brady....)

                  Also, even on the CNS hit, there was a video of a robbery a couple of years ago where a jewelry store owner shot two robbers. One ran out the door and bled out a few doors down. The 2nd was a direct hit to the spine, 100% paralysis... yet he was still able to crawl out the door to the sidewalk.

                  The human body is a remarkably resilient machine.
                  - Rich

                  Originally posted by dantodd
                  A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    BigPimping
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 21487

                    I have seen a lot of people who have been shot after the fact. I hope I never have to do this. I am prepared to if need be,
                    sigpic

                    PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                    When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                    Don't let your history be a mystery

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      1911su16b870
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 7654

                      Originally posted by bigbearbear
                      This is friggin funny.
                      Thanks BBB! There are a bunch of shooting memes out there with the Dalai Lama...(one duplicating Black Hawk Down Howe's this is my safety Sir, etc.)
                      "Bruen, the Bruen opinion, I believe, discarded the intermediate scrutiny test that I also thought was not very useful; and has, instead, replaced it with a text history and tradition test." Judge Benitez 12-12-2022

                      NRA Endowment Life Member, CRPA Life Member
                      GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Sig P365, Beretta 90 series, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
                      Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger, Hudson H9 Armorer, just for fun!
                      I instruct it if you shoot it.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sidelock
                        Member
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 407

                        Let me clarify couple comments I made in my original post,

                        1) What I said about the LE really doesn't give a sxxx about preserving the crime scene, it was about they drag the suspect by the legs and throw him in the parking lot. Not removing his gun and cuff him.

                        2) What I mean fire more shots means while shooting, not after he went down on the floor.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Cokebottle
                          Seņor Member
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 32373

                          Originally posted by sidelock
                          2) What I mean fire more shots means while shooting, not after he went down on the floor.
                          Pray that this statement is never presented to a jury to show premeditation
                          - Rich

                          Originally posted by dantodd
                          A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            417atty
                            Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 271

                            Originally posted by Cokebottle
                            As stated, this is not the movies. You aren't going to drop a bad guy "dead in his tracks" with one, two, or possibly even 5 bullets.

                            You are going to kill a man through bleed-out, or by a CNS hit that causes paralysis to the heart and respiratory system.
                            You may also stop the threat with one shot even though it is not a hit on a critical area when the bad guy realizes that you WILL kill him and decides to retreat.
                            ^ ^ ^ so true!

                            I recently posted some details about my shooting in the CCW discussion on Winchester Ranger ammunition. The suspect took almost 20 rounds before he went down. And it took a while for him to bleed out...
                            sigpic

                            KMA-628 RETIRED
                            U.S. Army Veteran
                            Calif. POST-certified Firearms Instructor
                            Southwestern Law School Alumni

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              417atty
                              Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 271

                              Originally posted by sidelock
                              A small jewelry store's owner in city of Torrance, L.A. county, California shot dead an attempted robber inside the store.
                              I'm glad the store owner will be alright... At least the suspect died doing what he loved.
                              sigpic

                              KMA-628 RETIRED
                              U.S. Army Veteran
                              Calif. POST-certified Firearms Instructor
                              Southwestern Law School Alumni

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Cokebottle
                                Seņor Member
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 32373

                                Originally posted by 417atty
                                ^ ^ ^ so true!

                                I recently posted some details about my shooting in the CCW discussion on Winchester Ranger ammunition. The suspect took almost 20 rounds before he went down. And it took a while for him to bleed out...
                                Wow... insane experience!
                                - Rich

                                Originally posted by dantodd
                                A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1