Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

DOJ APPS agents seize 500+ guns from Clovis resident

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    BAJ475
    Calguns Addict
    • Jul 2014
    • 5211

    500+ guns seized

    Originally posted by roostersgt
    Not really seeing the problem here. The guy was placed on a "mental hold" against his will by either police or medical professionals, therefore, he is a PROHIBITED" person, period. What's the beef?? You really want crazy people to have firearms???
    NO! But a determination by police or doctors is not the same as a trial where your have to right to confront and cross-examine your accusers and produce your own evidence. Besides, I am totally opposed to the Govt. taking his property without paying for it, especially when there appears to be no evidence that he harmed or threatened anyone. Assuming for sake of argument that he is mentally ill to the point that it is unsafe for him to possess firearms (a point that I do not see has been proven), how does that justify the taking of his property with paying for it? While I do not want mentally ill people carrying firearms, how is punishing them by taking there property fair or just?

    Comment

    • #77
      leadchucker
      Senior Member
      • Apr 2009
      • 622

      Originally posted by AreWeFree
      Returning to your statement, the entire point of being individually armed is that you can defend yourself. Every individual should be free to protect themselves. Why should a person, who isn't committing a crime, be denied the right to preserve their life?
      Exactly. Unless this man has violated another individual's right, why are his being violated?

      Comment

      • #78
        Librarian
        Admin and Poltergeist
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2005
        • 44689

        Originally posted by BAJ475
        NO! But a determination by police or doctors is not the same as a trial where your have to right to confront and cross-examine your accusers and produce your own evidence. Besides, I am totally opposed to the Govt. taking his property without paying for it, especially when there appears to be no evidence that he harmed or threatened anyone. Assuming for sake of argument that he is mentally ill to the point that it is unsafe for him to possess firearms (a point that I do not see has been proven), how does that justify the taking of his property with paying for it? While I do not want mentally ill people carrying firearms, how is punishing them by taking there property fair or just?
        Your argument is with the Legislature.

        RickD247 posted the relevant part of WIC 8103.

        Most folks who get that 5-year or lifetime ban are clearly informed of that, and of what they must do. (It seems occasionally such clear notification is missed or misunderstood, but that is another reason to have a lawyer.)

        Failure to do what is allowed/required is, by law, a crime. No compensation is required for seizing things that are illegal for that person to have.

        Since the story so far is missing a number of Significant Events, how all this applies to the person in the news report I cannot say.
        ARCHIVED Calguns Foundation Wiki here: http://web.archive.org/web/201908310...itle=Main_Page

        Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!

        Comment

        • #79
          Shoot-it
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2005
          • 5165

          Originally posted by TeddyBallgame
          if a judge ordered him to sell them it seems he had some sort of due process concerning his mental state

          if he went in for evaluation 3 times in one month, maybe we need to find out a little bit more about what that is all about

          guy could be going through a really bad period, hard to say
          I know Albert I went wild hog hunting with him once.He is a really nice guy he talked about his family and about his gun collection I knew it was vast.He could afford them and had his ffl so he collected them.I do not know how he got the mental hold but I knew about it months ago.
          I asked him if he was ever on calguns and he said he is so he might be a member.
          Last edited by Shoot-it; 11-19-2015, 10:10 PM.
          Originally Posted by olhunter View Post
          I prefer to not mount the fat ones.
          Nice racks are much better. You can grab both sides of the rack to help stabilize while mounting.
          ProShooter's
          You'd never guess that human beings are apex predators reading some of the weepy vaginas in this thread, it's a moose people, who cares.

          Comment

          • #80
            bjungx007
            Junior Member
            • Apr 2015
            • 29

            Can I has one?

            Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

            Comment

            • #81
              stix213
              AKA: Joe Censored
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Apr 2009
              • 19002

              Originally posted by Bangzoom
              This gives me a headache


              The above mentioned headache by no means indicates any mental illness or tumors that may or may not cause violence by me now or in the future..The pain from said headache is completely manageable and in no way will cause me to become infuriated or lash out at any person.I hereby declare that if above mentioned headache persists for more than 48 hours that I will seek medical attention
              Your disclaimer says to me your trip to the hospital is going to be.... involuntary.

              Comment

              • #82
                ke6guj
                Moderator
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Nov 2003
                • 23725

                hmm, article I read on my phone said that the firearms were locked in a safe and that he voluntarily sought treatment. two sides to every story with truth usually in the middle somewhere...
                Jack



                Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                Comment

                • #83
                  nedro
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2014
                  • 4130

                  Originally posted by Sapperforward
                  I don't know maybe im in the minority here but this guy was on a 5150 3 times in less than a year. Had more than 6 months to transfer these guns out of his name. As an FFL he knew he was prohibited. And if the press release was accurate these guns were not really secured that well.

                  I'm not seeing a problem here. He had to know this was coming at some point. He should have transferred the guns that he could to his son and sold off the rest, but than again we're talking about a guy who was put on three 5150 holds in less than a year so maybe he couldn't comprehend the situation. Which would be all the more reason for him to be prohibited.

                  The real question here is, What was his Calguns username?
                  That would be two of us. If he's to far gone to see that he had time to sell them, go through whatever he's dealing with, then start reacquiring them, He's too far gone to be left alone with that arsenal.

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    nedro
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2014
                    • 4130

                    Originally posted by ke6guj
                    hmm, article I read on my phone said that the firearms were locked in a safe and that he voluntarily sought treatment. two sides to every story with truth usually in the middle somewhere...
                    Guess what? They weren't locked to him. Kind of the point, isn't it?

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      easyPZ
                      Member
                      • Nov 2010
                      • 156

                      Originally posted by hermosabeach
                      That's racist

                      Showing off the evil blacks for the press conference.

                      The classic rifles are hidden away
                      I noticed that too. All the "assault" rifles to the front. All the sporters in the back.

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        FresnoRob
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2013
                        • 2133

                        More of his side of the story:
                        A licensed federal arms dealer from Clovis is claiming the Department of Justice wrongfully took away his guns.

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          ke6guj
                          Moderator
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Nov 2003
                          • 23725

                          Originally posted by FresnoRob
                          that was the article I saw when I was browsing on my phone,
                          thanks for posting the link.
                          Jack



                          Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                          No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            ke6guj
                            Moderator
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Nov 2003
                            • 23725

                            Originally posted by Librarian
                            Agents say Sheakalee was once a federal arms dealer, but he lost his license last year. And this year, he lost his right to own any firearms after he was institutionalized three times in June. "Obviously when a person is admitted into a hospital for a mental health hold it's because he's believed to be a danger to himself or to the public," Haroldsen said.
                            ...
                            In this case, they say Sheakalee still had about 150 registered in his name five months after he was ordered to give them up.
                            If accurate - and might be, since it seems he did start getting rid of some - the application of existing law really isn't that controversial (the existence of the WIC 5150 law might be).
                            as of today, ATF EZ-check still shows him having a valid FFL.
                            Jack



                            Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

                            No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              JDay
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 19393

                              Originally posted by ke6guj
                              as of today, ATF EZ-check still shows him having a valid FFL.
                              In that case I'd have to say the DOJ is full of you know what.
                              Oppressors can tyrannize only when they achieve a standing army, an enslaved press, and a disarmed populace. -- James Madison

                              The Constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms. -- Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87 (Pearce and Hale, eds., Boston, 1850)

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                RickD427
                                CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                                • Jan 2007
                                • 9276

                                Originally posted by JDay
                                In that case I'd have to say the DOJ is full of you know what.
                                JDay,

                                Please keep in mind that the 5150 based firearms prohibition is under California state law only.

                                FFL's are issued under provisions of federal law. A 5150 commitment does not produce a firearms disability under federal law.
                                If you build a man a fire, you'll keep him warm for the evening. If you set a man on fire, you'll keep him warm for the rest of his life.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1