I'd say if you're lugging it around (hunting etc) then consider that the Mossberg 500 is lighter. However, that doesn't mean it can't be done w/ the 870. Everyone else seems to have mentioned the other pros and cons. Good luck!
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Benelli Supernova vs Remington 870 vs Benelli Nova
Collapse
X
-
I picked the 870 due to the safety being on the trigger guard. I use a Knoxx Specops, which isn't as user friendly with Mossberg's safety on the tang.Originally posted by G. Michael HopfHard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.Comment
-
This.I own both, a 500 combo from big 5 and a 870.
2 main things I like my 500 over my 870.... 1 is that the 500 is lighter with its aluminum receiver so it's easier to go hunting with and 2nd is that there is no metal thing covering where to load shells into the tube. When I first got my 870 I would always get my thumb caught on it but now that I'm more proficient with my 870 it doesn't happen as much.
The actions/racking of the slide is equally smooth on both shotguns, only pump action shotgun that I've racked that felt smoother was my buddy's browning BPS. Both guns have been reliable and I did not experience and extraction problems on my 870 with the Winchester value pack birdshot that many people on here experience.
I would go with the Big 5 Mossberg 500 combo...you can't beat it for the price. 2 barrels, I put the 28in on for hunting and when I get back home, take the plug out and put the 18.5in one on and it gets placed by my bed for HD duties.
Keep an eye out for Big 5's coupons. I remember I used a 20% on my Mossberg 500 Combo about 2 years ago, and it came out to be cheap on top of the sale.
Kind of an old pic; have added a 3GG side saddle and Meprolight front night sight for HD setup, and I use my 28" barrel w/ HiViz fiber optic bead for dusting clays.
Comment
-
TaggedComment
-
Forends on Mossbergs rattle... I have a 590A1, which is probably their best-built shotgun, and the forend rattles. Does not affect functionality in any way, you could beat a cow to death using it as a club and it'll still work just fine.~ El Frito
Are you a Fascist and don't even realize it? Find out! https://www.idrlabs.com/8-values-political/test.phpComment
-
"If you want to use a pistol grip, go with an 870.
If you want to use a traditional stock, go with a 500."
As someone who just purchased a 500 w/ a pistol grip, I'm interested in hearing why.Comment
-
Palestine is a fake country
No Mas Hamas
#BlackolivesmatterComment
-
Pistol grips can be fun/useful, but personal preference, I would go with a shorter 12" LOP stock from Hogue. You could always fire from the hip.
Comment
-
If you're looking to maximize the efficiency of your movements, it can be a factor worth considering. It's not make or break by any means, simply another thing to consider when making your choice.
On a Mossberg with a traditional stock, you have immediate control to the safety, trigger and slide release simultaneously without changing your grip on the gun.
This is no longer the case if you install a pistol grip, as you need to change the position of your hand and reach upward to manipulate the safety. When doing this, there is about a one second gap where you have to release the pistol grip, reach up, manipulate the safety, then re-position your hand back onto the pistol grip and then you're ready to fire.
Now if we're talking pistol grip only that's different... you can still manipulate all the controls simultaneously, but you don't have a full stock to assist with absorbing recoil and for proper aiming.~ El Frito
Are you a Fascist and don't even realize it? Find out! https://www.idrlabs.com/8-values-political/test.phpComment
-
Everyone talk about this stock. So I bought one.Pistol grips can be fun/useful, but personal preference, I would go with a shorter 12" LOP stock from Hogue. You could always fire from the hip.
http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Mossberg.../dp/B001TED2PG
No clue how you people shoot with it unless your midgets or under 5 foot. I'm average build, 5'10, normal length arms and my hand punches my nose. Tried several different grips. If it was 13" it would be better. Stock buttstock is going on asap"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas JeffersonComment
-
I think the "tactical" way is they don't wrap their thumb over the stock...but yeah, I had the same issue. Have a Speedfeed pistol grip on now and like it. One hand pointability when needed (trained on BG while dialing cops, opening a door, assisting loved ones, etc.).Everyone talk about this stock. So I bought one.
No clue how you people shoot with it unless your midgets or under 5 foot. I'm average build, 5'10, normal length arms and my hand punches my nose. Tried several different grips. If it was 13" it would be better. Stock buttstock is going on asapPalestine is a fake country
No Mas Hamas
#BlackolivesmatterComment
-
Weird. I'm about 5'11"... what are you shooting? 12/20, buck, slugs, or bird? Maybe just need a bit more practice? You don't really aim when it comes to shotguns unless you're shooting slugs at longer distances.Everyone talk about this stock. So I bought one.
No clue how you people shoot with it unless your midgets or under 5 foot. I'm average build, 5'10, normal length arms and my hand punches my nose. Tried several different grips. If it was 13" it would be better. Stock buttstock is going on asapComment
-
I don't know how I feel about the rattleWTS AR-15 Parts: BCG, CH, Buffer tube kit, M4 Stock, Blackhawk! Stock
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=785154Comment
-
I have a coupon for the combo to be 339.99. Don't know whether or not to capitalize on itThis.
Keep an eye out for Big 5's coupons. I remember I used a 20% on my Mossberg 500 Combo about 2 years ago, and it came out to be cheap on top of the sale.
Kind of an old pic; have added a 3GG side saddle and Meprolight front night sight for HD setup, and I use my 28" barrel w/ HiViz fiber optic bead for dusting clays.
WTS AR-15 Parts: BCG, CH, Buffer tube kit, M4 Stock, Blackhawk! Stock
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=785154Comment
-
You can always sell the 18.5" barrel if you're not going to use it (for either). Sorry, just realized in your original post that you had no intentions of using it for HD.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,452
Posts: 25,147,902
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,927
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 22115 users online. 144 members and 21971 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment