Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Felt recoil reducing stocks - 590a1

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Fherot
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2012
    • 920

    Felt recoil reducing stocks - 590a1

    What are some good stocks / Recoil pads for a Mossberg 590? I really like the sound of the Mesa Tactical hydraulic system for an M4 stock but I don't like pistol grips on my mossbergs since the controls hate them.

    I've heard the segmented knoxx stocks can have bind issues.

    Do the Hogue stocks with a Limbsaver make a big difference?

    I'm not recoil sensitive at all I've been firing 12 gauges since I was 15 but with this 590a1 I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible for a full day of slugs and buckshot.

    Thanks for any input.
  • #2
    Legasat
    Intergalactic Member
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Mar 2009
    • 4151

    I put a limbsaver on my 590 and it helped a lot. I use mostly 00 buck and various bird shot, not very many slugs.
    ..

    .........STGC(SW)


    SAF Life Member

    sigpic
    NRA Benefactor

    Comment

    • #3
      BigfootHunter
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Sep 2009
      • 770

      I like my Hogue setup as well.

      Comment

      • #4
        CK_32
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2010
        • 14369

        In before the fan war.

        I say look into a recoil pad before anything. Factory stocks are great and do their job and people run out and buy a whole new stock for recoil.. Just try a recoil pad like Remington's super cell or what ever pad and see how that works.

        I always wear thick sweatshirts for colder weather and am thinking of putting a dr shooed or something slim and small in one of my back up shirts or polo's and see how that works.. Recoil from bird shot doesn't effect me until around 50 60 shots. But I say try a recoil bad before you go new stock all together..

        And with the knoxx even with the 870 where people say it works great with the controls I still had to take my cheek off role the rifle muzzle over to manipulate it safe or not and it wasn't as smooh and easy and most say. Never tried any other recoil stocks tho.

        My $.02
        For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

        What's Your Caliber??


        My Youtube channel

        Comment

        • #5
          Fherot
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2012
          • 920

          I love the hogue stocks but not enough to replace the factory stocks unless they helped reduce recoil a bit. Recoil doesn't bother me enough to have some big elaborate setup and I'd like to keep it to a standard looking stock.

          Thanks for the input I'll just start with an aftermarket recoil pad and go from there. Getting slugs to feel like birdshot would be great though...

          Comment

          • #6
            CK_32
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Sep 2010
            • 14369

            Originally posted by Fherot
            I love the hogue stocks but not enough to replace the factory stocks unless they helped reduce recoil a bit. Recoil doesn't bother me enough to have some big elaborate setup and I'd like to keep it to a standard looking stock.

            Thanks for the input I'll just start with an aftermarket recoil pad and go from there. Getting slugs to feel like birdshot would be great though...
            Not sure if it will feel like bird but it will help a lot. Not saying the aftermarket stocks will either.. Best thing I suggest is see if you can go out with some other members or friends with after market stocks or pads and see if you can try them out a few times. Cause from what I've seen it's either hit or miss with that stuff.

            I liked the look and idea of the knoxx but for the most part wasn't impressed with how everyone else talked about it. But it's all personal preference. But again I think the recoil pads is the easiest to start out with. Might not eliminate everything but it can only help.

            GL.
            For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

            What's Your Caliber??


            My Youtube channel

            Comment

            • #7
              MXRider
              Banned
              • Feb 2010
              • 2927

              I run the Hogue 12" LOP stock on my 500. I found the best thing for me was to run a shorter LOP stock so I could improve how the weapon shouldered, and also allows me to run the stock closer to the center of my chest. This greatly makes felt recoil less noticeable and helps with follow up shots.

              I have never tried the other recoil absorbing stocks personally.

              Comment

              • #8
              • #9
                BigDogatPlay
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2007
                • 7362

                Originally posted by CK_32
                In before the fan war.

                I say look into a recoil pad before anything. Factory stocks are great and do their job and people run out and buy a whole new stock for recoil.. Just try a recoil pad like Remington's super cell or what ever pad and see how that works.
                To add a bit more to that thought, I say look into mounting the gun properly to the shoulder before even buying a recoil pad or a gimmick stock. Make sure the gun is something of a fit for you before starting to tinker with doo-dads. The reason is because if you don't mount and hold the gun properly no amount of stock work is going to keep you from getting beat up.

                Learn to use the gun properly before investing more cash in aftermarket stuff that may not work well for you.

                My $0.02
                -- Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun

                Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

                Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

                Comment

                • #10
                  CK_32
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 14369

                  Post above is true. Many shotgun or any firearm shooters don't have the proper gun mount or grip and blame the gun. When all that's needed to be fixed is the shooter. Ask a experienced actual proven shotgun shooter or someone you know knows how to shoot a shotgun and ask them to teach you properly.

                  Makes the world of differance in felt recoil when properly shouldering the gun and having proper technique.
                  For Sale: AR500 Lvl III+ ASC Armor

                  What's Your Caliber??


                  My Youtube channel

                  Comment

                  • #11
                    scootle
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 2702

                    A proper mount is critical and will solve most recoil issues with shotguns. For the 1% due to the times you make errors in mounting up...

                    When I took Louis Awerbuck's shotgun class, he had a simple and effective bit of advice for a recoil pad -- a woman's MaxiPad tucked under your shirt and taped into place.

                    As an aside, Louis also pointed out that if you are getting bruised at all repeatedly by the shotgun, you need to be very very careful, as serious injuries and complications can occur over the long run. Proper technique/mounting critical to prevent serious injury.
                    SCC CCW *326 Days, $1051.29*
                    Application: 2/27/2023 ($72.33)
                    Original Interview: 12/21@1030|Actual: 4/13@0900
                    'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
                    Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
                    Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
                    LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
                    LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
                    Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
                    Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030

                    Comment

                    • #12
                      Thefeeder
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2007
                      • 5007

                      ><

                      Proper mount.....Proper fit.

                      Were going to keep repeating it until it sinks in.

                      Comment

                      • #13
                        Fherot
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2012
                        • 920

                        I mount to my shoulder well as I never having bruising or pain, as I said I was firing a 12 gauge Remington 870 since highschool.

                        I just want to maximize comfort to speed up following shots and control of shotgun, I do like the suggestion of holding the shotgun in closer to my chest instead of shoulder. I saw this on the preview for Magpul Dynamics - Shotgun dvd. (I have the handgun one and if anything enjoyed it thoroughly).

                        I'm 6'4 so I usually stick with the 14" LOP stocks but trying this different hold I will see if I would do better with a 12" LOP after I pick up the 590a1 and hold it for a while.

                        I appreciate all the $0.02 flowing in!

                        Comment

                        • #14
                          stilly
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jul 2009
                          • 10685

                          I put a Mesa TACTICOOL recoil reducing stock with hydraulic buffer onto my 590 but I also have a bayonet and laser on it too. (the laser just for laughs, but it never misses). I did all that about 3+ years ago and THEN I never shot it. I actually HAVE used it a few times though and I recall it feeling like a decent setup. EXPENSIVE so maybe it was a placebo effect but Hmm, I will take it out tomorrow and check it out and see how it shoots again. IF I recall correctly it felt not that bad... (yes I meant to say it that way.)
                          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

                          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



                          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

                          Comment

                          • #15
                            Thefeeder
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 5007

                            ><

                            "I just want to maximize comfort to speed up following shots and control of shotgun"


                            Errrrrr......try proper mount and proper gun fit.

                            Your 6' 4" and your going from a 14" to try a 12" LOP....your going the wrong way


                            Here is a post that will help you

                            Last edited by Thefeeder; 07-27-2012, 10:48 PM.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            UA-8071174-1