Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Bean bag or rubber bullet shell?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    ZombieTactics
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2010
    • 3691

    Originally posted by aippi
    I am sure you don't see anything but your narrow point of view. And I don't need schooled on what this is about. I advised the OP to think about it and if he is an intelligent person he can find some very good reasons on his own. I did not invite a debate with you are anyone else on here as I gave no input other then to the OP. So sad you can't come up with one advantage of this munition when there are so many. Says much about the way you think. ...
    JD: We've batted it back-n-forth before, and whether you care or not, you have my respect as a former LE and current builder of high-quality shotguns. You seem like a decent enough guy and I have no reason to believe otherwise. The difficulty I see with much of what you tend to write on this subject is that you yourself seem incapable of seeing anything but your narrow point of view.

    Your experience is all well and good and respected, but the attitude of "just trust me, 'cuz I know ..." (as though anyone disagreeing or debating the actual merits is somehow unworthy of your time/consideration) really comes off as just a bunch of self-aggrandizing posturing. I find it difficult to believe that you actively want to come off as pompous and unprofessional, so I have to consider that you just aren't aware of how it comes across.

    For my part, I have to admit I have never been an LE nor have I served in the military. I do however come from a family which is absolutely teeming with all manner of LE and military at almost every possible rank and level you'd be likely to think of. That's not even close to an exaggeration, by the way. My circle of friends and family includes current/former SWAT cops, HRT and SERT team members, Navy SEALs, SeaBees, Marines, National Guardsman, bona-fide TLA types serving covertly, Army Rangers ... take your pick.

    In my own ignorance I tend to lean on their advice quite heavily on matters of weapons and tactics.

    I've asked most of them at one time or another about how I should load an shotgun for HD purposes, and not one of them has ever even hinted at bean-bags or rubber shot ... not one. On the few occasions I've suggested it, I've universally gotten the "are you a complete idiot" look, or an extended lecture amounting to the same thing. In the process, I've unintentionally learned quite a bit about how less-lethal shotgun techniques are used and why. In my home I'm not on riot duty or crowd control, so those notions really don't apply.

    Now, you may have access to specialized knowledge unavailable to the vast array of LE and military folks I've spoken to. You may be the world's greatest shotgunner ever, and the smartest tactician and legal expert on the use of force in existence, but nothing in your bearing really supports this notion other than your continued assertion that you are THE expert in all such matters.

    You can see why I might tend to discount your opinion, considering that of those unquestionably more qualified and experienced, and most especially the width and breadth of their perspectives. To do otherwise would be holding to a demonstrably narrow point-of-view.
    Last edited by ZombieTactics; 01-15-2011, 8:03 AM.
    |
    sigpic
    I don't pretend to be an "authority." I'm just a guy who trains a lot, shoots a lot and has a perspective.

    Check the ZombieTactics Channel on YouTube for all sorts of gun-related goodness CLICK HERE

    Comment

    • #47
      FatalKitty
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 2942

      one last thing I will say:

      I have personally witnessed many things in my short time a Marine in the 1st.
      one of those things I happened to see many times was people getting shot by all manner of deadly firearms and still alive, still breathing, and many times, still shooting.
      While I have utmost respect for many members on here and especially JD for all the helpful info he gives us Commiefornians and for his service in as a Marine - I just can't imagine any reason an untrained civilian would want to fuss around with a less lethal round. People get shot with real bullets and still fire back, hell - they get shot with real bullets and fire back and win and go home... That fact is why I still have several friends living and breathing at my BBQs every month, because they lived through the hell of getting shot.

      are you really going to give a bad guy that's threatening you with great bodily injury or death a warning shot? you're pretty much giving him the opportunity to shoot you first.
      you don't rise to the occasion,
      you just fall back on your level of training.

      Comment

      • #48
        TheKlawMan
        Senior Member
        • Dec 2010
        • 512

        Originally posted by Mikeb
        No I don't agree. The second rule is "don't point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy". If you can discourage the threat by saying boo or what ever fine. But the whole "wing 'em, fire a warning shot" I'm not buying it. The only time one has the right to use deadly force is to defend life or great bodily harm.
        I wish you luck
        Mike
        I should have realized what I wrote about one warning would be misunderstood. I don't believe in warning shots and by a warning I mean the sound of chambering a round as I take aim at the uninvited's chest. If they are lucky I may give them the option to get the hell out of my home but it wouldn't be time for an intervention. And when I rack and point I am willing to destroy if need be. I am not as trigger happy as those that think the fact that a 17 year old junkie breaks in to steal a TV and the family silver either justifies or is worth executing a human being on the spot.

        Comment

        • #49
          eccvets
          Banned
          • Jul 2008
          • 1243

          the op should start playing corn hole cuz that is what the intruder is gonna do to him, his wife, and his daughters! haha what a corn hole!

          Comment

          • #50
            eccvets
            Banned
            • Jul 2008
            • 1243

            Originally posted by TheKlawMan
            I should have realized what I wrote about one warning would be misunderstood. I don't believe in warning shots and by a warning I mean the sound of chambering a round as I take aim at the uninvited's chest. If they are lucky I may give them the option to get the hell out of my home but it wouldn't be time for an intervention. And when I rack and point I am willing to destroy if need be. I am not as trigger happy as those that think the fact that a 17 year old junkie breaks in to steal a TV and the family silver either justifies or is worth executing a human being on the spot.
            by the time you figure out he is just a 17 year old junkie breaks in to steal a TV, he could have a knife in your chest or a bullet in your head! oh and everyone knows that a 17 year old junkie will never hurt you... good lord what a jackwagon!

            Comment

            • #51
              CSACANNONEER
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Dec 2006
              • 44094

              Originally posted by Steve1968LS2
              Wow.. let's play the semantics game... weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
              That's like saying the difference between self defense and cold blooded murder is just semantics.

              I will do whatever it takes to stop a threat but, I will not go into an altercation planning on just killing anyone.
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
              California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
              Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
              Utah CCW Instructor


              Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

              sigpic
              CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

              KM6WLV

              Comment

              • #52
                TheKlawMan
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2010
                • 512

                Originally posted by eccvets
                by the time you figure out he is just a 17 year old junkie breaks in to steal a TV, he could have a knife in your chest or a bullet in your head! oh and everyone knows that a 17 year old junkie will never hurt you... good lord what a jackwagon!
                You are right cowboy. Just surround your house with claymores and spring guns, don't waste a split second identifying your target, but execute anyone so foolish as to enter your home uninvited. Then explain to a jury, perhaps a criminal jury and a civil one, how you were in "imminent" danger of death or great bodily harm from the unarmed 122 pound son of the widow women living down the block, you were in imminent danger all the time he was never nearer to you than seven feet from the bottom of the stairs and you remained behind partial cover on the upstairs landing.

                Comment

                • #53
                  Cokebottle
                  Señor Member
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 32373

                  Originally posted by TheKlawMan
                  I should have realized what I wrote about one warning would be misunderstood. I don't believe in warning shots and by a warning I mean the sound of chambering a round as I take aim at the uninvited's chest.
                  Another bad move that gives the bad guy time to kill you first.

                  The gun should already be chambered... if not before he breaks in (IOTW, it is stored chambered and on safe), then before you enter the room where he is located.
                  - Rich

                  Originally posted by dantodd
                  A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Cokebottle
                    Señor Member
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 32373

                    Originally posted by TheKlawMan
                    You are right cowboy. Just surround your house with claymores and spring guns, don't waste a split second identifying your target, but execute anyone so foolish as to enter your home uninvited. Then explain to a jury, perhaps a criminal jury and a civil one, how you were in "imminent" danger of death or great bodily harm from the unarmed 122 pound son of the widow women living down the block, you were in imminent danger all the time he was never nearer to you than seven feet from the bottom of the stairs and you remained behind partial cover on the upstairs landing.
                    The law favors "in fear for my life and the life of my family" when there is forcible entry.

                    Cowboy?

                    Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. This isn't TV where you get the "drop" on the intruder, yell "drop it", and he surrenders.
                    He may be on his 2nd strike and knows that he has three options... be killed, kill you and get away, or go to prison for life.

                    You don't have to know that the intruder is armed. You have to be in fear for your life, with would include the belief that he is armed.
                    If he has broken in, he most likely has done so with some kind of tool that could be used as a deadly weapon. You don't know that he doesn't know martial arts.

                    Sorry about the widow losing her son. She should have done a better job raising him.
                    - Rich

                    Originally posted by dantodd
                    A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      CSACANNONEER
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Dec 2006
                      • 44094

                      Originally posted by TheKlawMan
                      You are right cowboy. Just surround your house with claymores and spring guns, don't waste a split second identifying your target, but execute anyone so foolish as to enter your home uninvited. Then explain to a jury, perhaps a criminal jury and a civil one, how you were in "imminent" danger of death or great bodily harm from the unarmed 122 pound son of the widow women living down the block, you were in imminent danger all the time he was never nearer to you than seven feet from the bottom of the stairs and you remained behind partial cover on the upstairs landing.
                      There are not many places in a home where one can see another person more than the magical 21 feet. If someone breaks into my home, I have to assume that he/she is there for no go and probably has a weapon of some sort. Even if I don't see one, I'll be afraid that he/she has at least a knife. Therefore, if I'm within 21' of the potential attacker, I'll be in immediate danger and will stop the threat any way I can. There may or may not be any kind of warning before I stop the immediate threat. I don't understand why you think that anyone needs to warn an intruder at all? The mere fact that they broke in and are a potential threat to me is all the warning they need.
                      NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
                      California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
                      Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
                      Utah CCW Instructor


                      Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

                      sigpic
                      CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

                      KM6WLV

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        TheKlawMan
                        Senior Member
                        • Dec 2010
                        • 512

                        Originally posted by Cokebottle
                        Another bad move that gives the bad guy time to kill you first.

                        The gun should already be chambered... if not before he breaks in (IOTW, it is stored chambered and on safe), then before you enter the room where he is located.
                        Is storing a sg with a round chambered a good idea, even it the safety is on?

                        If you are talking about chambering a round while in another room, you not only gave away your presence but did so before you could draw a bead on the BG.

                        I don't know if this is the best, but given the fact I have children in the house, I keep the mag full of 00 except for the first one up, which is bird shot. I may switch to rubber. I keep the action open, which allows me to hand load an extra round, if there is time. If it is clearly an armed bg and there are no innocents in or shortly beyond the line of fire, I can load with 00.

                        To be ready to fire, I need only slide the rack forward so as to bring the bolt into battery, saving time. This gives me 6 in the tube and 1 in the gun.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Cokebottle
                          Señor Member
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Oct 2009
                          • 32373

                          Originally posted by TheKlawMan
                          Is storing a sg with a round chambered a good idea, even it the safety is on?
                          Circumstances are different for different people.
                          I have no children left at home. Just me and my wife.
                          When one of us is home, the guns are unlocked, loaded, and cocked.

                          Children in the home complicates the issue, but so long as the gun is secured so that children don't have access, there is nothing wrong with storing it ready to fire.
                          If you are talking about chambering a round while in another room, you not only gave away your presence but did so before you could draw a bead on the BG.
                          Depending on the situation. If someone breaks into my home at night, we're going to be upstairs.
                          We will REMAIN upstairs.... but I will be at the top of the stairs. I'm not going to attempt to move through the fatal funnel and clear the 1st floor, and there is nothing on the 1st floor worth my life.
                          Instead, I am going to force him to move into the fatal funnel and come up the stairs. At that point, he is dead.
                          - Rich

                          Originally posted by dantodd
                          A just government will not be overthrown by force or violence because the people have no incentive to overthrow a just government. If a small minority of people attempt such an insurrection to grab power and enslave the people, the RKBA of the whole is our insurance against their success.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            jackandblood
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 1125

                            Use nerf projectiles. badguy "Ouch, That Really Really hurt *Austin Powers voice*"
                            Dont go against the grain if you cant handle it - Wu Tang

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              FatalKitty
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 2942

                              Everyone thinking about defending themselves and their homes with firearms is going to seriously think about how they are going to do this in their vert specific situation.
                              There are guys I work with that have been to frontsight and have some rediculas input on use of deadly force and what to do in a violent home invasion... that is what you get from cookie cutter training. Nothing beats experience... and I've knocked down plenty of doors. Ill take my hard approach over nearly anything anyone can say.
                              you don't rise to the occasion,
                              you just fall back on your level of training.

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                TheKlawMan
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2010
                                • 512

                                Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6. Those that think in bumper sticker slogans may want to think about what they mean. If there is no need to fire, neither is an alternative. I apologize if it was wrong to refer to someone as a cowboy. As for breaking down doors, you are talking about something very different than hd. Just remember the test is are you in "reasonable" fear of "imminent" danger and that depends on circumstances. If the BG is just across a 14 foot room, he is likely in the Zone. If there are 2, you are in extreme danger. If it is a skinny kid who is well lit up and obvioulsly is unarmed, while you are on an upstairs landing with drawing a bead on him with a 12 gauge from 25 feet away, I would prefer not having to live with the consequences of blasting him to hell.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1