Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Home Defense Shotguns?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    CaliforniaLiberal
    #1 Bull Goose Loony
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Jan 2008
    • 4690

    GottaRollWithIt please don't say "shottie" any more. That's worse than "Frisco".

    Like Clint Smith says, it's way more important to be able to run your gun well than what particular gun you choose. I prefer the Mossberg 500 without any accessories. Simple, reliable and after some hundreds of rounds, the gun likes me. It's all about the training and correct practice not the right gun.

    It's better to turn on the lights in your house and be certain what you're shooting at than to point your shotgun at an unidentified target in order to get the installed flashlight into play. You never point your gun at anything you're not willing to destroy and you can't decide that until you can see them.

    What if your dad had the worst fight of his life with your mom and was really, really stupid drunk trying to quietly sneak into your house to sleep on your couch without waking you? Are you going to shoot at a noise and some movement?

    Sorry if I'm rude about not saying "shottie". It's like fingernails on a blackboard.

    CaliforniaLiberal
    Better Way to Search CalGuns - https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...78:pzxbzjzh1zk
    CA Bill Search - https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov
    California Rifle and Pistol Association - http://crpa.org/
    Sacramento County Sheriff Concealed Carry Info - Search 'Concealed Weapons Permit Information Sacramento'
    Second Amendment Foundation - http://www.saf.org
    Animated US Map Showing Progress of Concealed Carry Laws 1986 to 2021 http://www.gun-nuttery.com/rtc.php

    Comment

    • #47
      Z ME FLY
      Calguns Addict
      • Mar 2008
      • 6590

      Originally posted by CaliforniaLiberal
      GottaRollWithIt please don't say "shottie" any more. That's worse than "Frisco".

      Like Clint Smith says, it's way more important to be able to run your gun well than what particular gun you choose. I prefer the Mossberg 500 without any accessories. Simple, reliable and after some hundreds of rounds, the gun likes me. It's all about the training and correct practice not the right gun.
      Good info here. K.I.S.S (keep it simple stupid) Hell my favorite shotgun right now is my winchester 37 that was cut down. It's a single shot with a hammer. It's short but legal limit and I can use it as a club too. I have a butt cuff on it. I think thats what it is called, I have 3 rounds of 00 and 2 hp slugs. I leave it with the action open and unloaded so it pretty much ready to go quickly and quietly. I'm not with the if you rack your shotgun everyone will go running crowd. Get something simple first like a mossberg, winchester, norico 987 (winchester clone with grs). Once you have a basic one and you shoot it for awhile, you can get an idea of what you want. I thought at one time I wanted a pistol grip only shotgun, got a hogue grip and thought, what was i thinking? Put the old wood stock back on and I am still happy with it.

      and btw my mossberg only costed $150 and my winchester was the same amount.
      Last edited by Z ME FLY; 05-30-2009, 7:09 AM.
      Originally posted by 69Mach1
      The virgin requires more work (don't they all )

      Originally posted by 69Mach1
      Z gets around. lol

      Comment

      • #48
        BunnySlayer
        Senior Member
        • May 2009
        • 992

        I am of the firm belief that the best home defense gun is the first loaded one you can lay hands on when you need it. Now having said that, yes I have a "tacticool" 870, an EBR and lots of other toys. But if all I could lay my paws on in an emergency was my Browing or Beretta o/u I'd be happy and somebody else wouldn't.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #49
          an actual gun
          Calguns Addict
          • Jun 2007
          • 5423

          Originally posted by Semperpluris

          Whoa, never seen a rear sight like that. I'm pointing to the thing that appears to be a ghost ring sight mounted forward of the safety on the top of the receiver. It's at 3 o'clock in the photo (right hand side, right above the trigger group).

          Anyone have any idea who makes that one?

          Comment

          • #50
          • #51
            Futurecollector
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Oct 2008
            • 11562

            Originally posted by RetroPhit
            Saiga 12


            That has no relevance in this thread!


            OT
            EHhhh, If you have the "Victim" there to tell his side of the story about how he just wanted a glass of water for the poor burning cat next door and you pulled out your EVIL BLACK Baby killing shotgun and shot him, then yeah I think the Prosecutor may have your *** in a sling.
            None of my posts are serious or real, nothing I post is legal advice.

            Originally posted by SanDiego619
            I am a complete idiot

            Comment

            • #52
              gottarollwithit
              Member
              • Aug 2006
              • 461

              Well, i dunno what that last post was in reference to, but regardless i think i need to visit a gunstore and get some training. Maybe even rent a gun before buying in. You guys have outlined a lot of good options. As that there are sooo many different ways to go, i'll play with a few that you've mentioned next time i'm at the store.
              It seems recoil can be dealt with by using Vang Comp mods, Knoxx stocks, or downgrading to 20ga. However, overall weight and control is a bit more difficult to overcome....
              The dude abides...

              Comment

              • #53
                vintagedude88
                Senior Member
                • Feb 2009
                • 2034

                Originally posted by futurecollector


                That has no relevance in this thread!


                OT
                EHhhh, If you have the "Victim" there to tell his side of the story about how he just wanted a glass of water for the poor burning cat next door and you pulled out your EVIL BLACK Baby killing shotgun and shot him, then yeah I think the Prosecutor may have your *** in a sling.
                Funny. Your comment is typical of a Kalifornian gun owner. My sentiments are the same. However I have an S12. I also have a Mossberg 500. Guess which one is my home defense gun? ding ding ding You guessed it, the Mossberg. The S12 is too evil looking to bring out for home defense but its an awsome gun to bring to the range.

                The funny part is, outside of Kalifornia, the S12 is seriously considered as a viable home defense shotgun. Thats because our laws are F'd up and theirs are not. Plenty of people out there have an S12 sitting near their door jam except none of them are in Kalifornia.

                When it comes to home defense shotguns its basically Mossberg or Remington. Its like Ford vs. Chevy, either one will do depending on which is your liking. Both have plenty of accesories available on the market. Just make sure not to get those "other" shotguns often offerred at your local gun/ sporting goods store for an attractive lesser price. Two names come to mind, Escort & Charles Daly. Theres also another one which I don't know the name but it is a cheap Chinese knockoff of a Remington. Stay away!

                Usually there's often a sale on either Mossberg or Remington home defense models for just under $300. Look for those sales. The Spec-ops stock is a definite must have and are available for both Remington and Mossberg.

                Comment

                • #54
                  BunnySlayer
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2009
                  • 992

                  Originally posted by gottarollwithit
                  Well, i dunno what that last post was in reference to, but regardless i think i need to visit a gunstore and get some training. Maybe even rent a gun before buying in. You guys have outlined a lot of good options. As that there are sooo many different ways to go, i'll play with a few that you've mentioned next time i'm at the store.
                  It seems recoil can be dealt with by using Vang Comp mods, Knoxx stocks, or downgrading to 20ga. However, overall weight and control is a bit more difficult to overcome....
                  Training is more important than even gun selection IMHO. Try Firearms training Assiciates. www.ftatv.com.
                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • #55
                    Futurecollector
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2008
                    • 11562

                    Originally posted by vintagedude88
                    Funny. Your comment is typical of a Kalifornian gun owner. My sentiments are the same. However I have an S12. I also have a Mossberg 500. Guess which one is my home defense gun? ding ding ding You guessed it, the Mossberg. The S12 is too evil looking to bring out for home defense but its an awsome gun to bring to the range.

                    The funny part is, outside of Kalifornia, the S12 is seriously considered as a viable home defense shotgun. Thats because our laws are F'd up and theirs are not. Plenty of people out there have an S12 sitting near their door jam except none of them are in Kalifornia.

                    When it comes to home defense shotguns its basically Mossberg or Remington. Its like Ford vs. Chevy, either one will do depending on which is your liking. Both have plenty of accesories available on the market. Just make sure not to get those "other" shotguns often offerred at your local gun/ sporting goods store for an attractive lesser price. Two names come to mind, Escort & Charles Daly. Theres also another one which I don't know the name but it is a cheap Chinese knockoff of a Remington. Stay away!

                    Usually there's often a sale on either Mossberg or Remington home defense models for just under $300. Look for those sales. The Spec-ops stock is a definite must have and are available for both Remington and Mossberg.
                    If I lived in Texas, I would have a S12 with a 50 rd mag in it for my HD gun, right next to an AR, AK, a Glock with a 100rd drum mag, and an MG42, but thats if I lived in Texas, snice I dont I have a red ryder, a sling shot and a Spit wad straw!
                    None of my posts are serious or real, nothing I post is legal advice.

                    Originally posted by SanDiego619
                    I am a complete idiot

                    Comment

                    • #56
                      tacticalcity
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Aug 2006
                      • 10929

                      Remington 1100 18" is my favorite to date! The wife won't panic and forget to pump it if she misses on the first shot!

                      Comment

                      • #57
                        lunde
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2005
                        • 1036

                        An AOW built from a Remington 870 receiver:



                        California Penal Code 12020(b)(8) explicitly states that AOWs (except pen guns) are exempt from Calfornia's short-barreled shotgun law, but must otherwise be legally owned, meaning on an ATF Form 5320.4 (aka, Form 4) that requires the $5 AOW stamp.

                        Comment

                        • #58
                          mountaindweller
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 528

                          Originally posted by gottarollwithit
                          Hi Folks,

                          So i've been contemplating buying a home defense shotgun for a while now. I might have more of a need for one soon so now's the time to start thinkin about it...

                          Currently for A-holes at my front door, bumps in the middle of the night, etc my .45 accompanies me. As it goes, i'm pretty good with it. However, i've been thinking about a shotty for a huge upgrade in short range stopping power. Having used a Mossberg 500 - as in the big ol 20" with the 7, or maybe it was 8 rd capacity mag tube, it was just too much gun. The thing weighs a ton and it is just too big for me. It's a beast and can make a hell of a racking noise, but all that's good for is scaring people off.

                          I'm looking for stopping power and maneuverability. I need to be able to swing it around easily, use full powered 00 12ga loads, and must be reliable as all heck. Relatively tight patterning would be nice as well, but not absolutely required.

                          I'm on the fence between a Vang Comp 870 or a Benelli M4, what do you guys think? Both are excellent weapons and i've never tried either on. If there are better alternatives, please say so.

                          Thanks!
                          Winchester 1300 Defender....to bad they don't make it anymore.

                          Comment

                          • #59
                            josh4mc
                            Member
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 164

                            Originally posted by lunde
                            An AOW built from a Remington 870 receiver:



                            California Penal Code 12020(b)(8) explicitly states that AOWs (except pen guns) are exempt from Calfornia's short-barreled shotgun law, but must otherwise be legally owned, meaning on an ATF Form 5320.4 (aka, Form 4) that requires the $5 AOW stamp.
                            That is a beautiful Remington! Form 4 you say???

                            I need a law degree to understand California Penal code. Is this not saying that you can only retain it for up to a year and then must be transfered?

                            (8) Any other weapon as defined in subsection (e) of Section 5845
                            of Title 26 of the United States Code and which is in the possession
                            of a person permitted to possess the weapons pursuant to the federal
                            Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90-618), as amended, and the
                            regulations issued pursuant thereto. Any person prohibited by Section
                            12021, 12021.1, or 12101 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the
                            Welfare and Institutions Code from possessing these weapons who
                            obtains title to these weapons by bequest or intestate succession may
                            retain title for not more than one year
                            , but actual possession of
                            these weapons at any time is punishable pursuant to Section 12021,
                            12021.1, or 12101 of this code or Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare
                            and Institutions Code. Within the year, the person shall transfer
                            title to the weapons by sale, gift, or other disposition.
                            Any person
                            who violates this paragraph is in violation of subdivision (a). The
                            exemption provided in this subdivision does not apply to pen guns
                            Last edited by josh4mc; 05-31-2009, 8:33 AM.

                            Comment

                            • #60
                              vintagedude88
                              Senior Member
                              • Feb 2009
                              • 2034

                              Originally posted by lunde
                              An AOW built from a Remington 870 receiver:



                              California Penal Code 12020(b)(8) explicitly states that AOWs (except pen guns) are exempt from Calfornia's short-barreled shotgun law, but must otherwise be legally owned, meaning on an ATF Form 5320.4 (aka, Form 4) that requires the $5 AOW stamp.
                              FAT chance of finding ANY CLEO willing to sign your Form 4. If you do let us know who the guy is. I'm next in line.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1