Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need 1 shotgun to 'do it all'

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #91
    ysr_racer
    Banned
    • Mar 2006
    • 12014

    Any shotgun you buy, is going to be way more fun than one you just talk about on the internet.

    Comment

    • #92
      shotcaller6
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2009
      • 677

      Lot of foolish posting here!

      Comment

      • #93
        therealnickb
        King- Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Oct 2011
        • 8957

        Originally posted by shotcaller6
        Lot of foolish posting here!
        Not sure that's helping the OP decide. Any opinions?

        Comment

        • #94
          fishnbeer
          Senior Member
          • Sep 2010
          • 777

          Alright I made my decision. Big 5 had 4th of July sale on Rem 870s. I figured what the heck. Went down there to check one out, liked it enough and pulled the trigger. Its an 870 express 28" barrel wood stock.

          Some guys on here were saying the express is not as clean or smooth functioning as the Wingmaster, which is probably true, but the ones that I handled in store felt just fine. The wood on the stock and fore end look and feel good, maybe not as good as the Wingmaster but its definitely not a broom handle.

          I don't plan on replacing stock or anything like that, before this fall I may pick up 1 extra barrel and a couple chokes just for Turkey. But for the time being I want to go bust some clays. The express comes from factory with modified choke. I was thinking of picking up a couple more chokes, Remy has a 2 pack IC + FULL on sale for $25 right now. The full is rated for steel, the IC is not. I am not sure if I should even bother getting one not rated for steel...

          I am excited! My only shotgun is my Fathers old Charles Daly side by side. Its a beautiful gun, and I always worry every time I take to to the range it is going to get dinged up or scratched. As a result I have only been shooting trap maybe once a year.

          That is about to change

          Comment

          • #95
            W.R.Buchanan
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 3397

            Good for you! Always like to hear about new gun purchases.

            Randy
            Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
            Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
            Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
            Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

            It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
            www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

            Comment

            • #96
              etwinam
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2016
              • 3223

              Congrats on the 870, enjoy it and shoot the crap out of it.
              God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

              Comment

              • #97
                Thefeeder
                Calguns Addict
                • Jun 2007
                • 5007

                Originally posted by fishnbeer
                Alright I made my decision. Big 5 had 4th of July sale on Rem 870s. I figured what the heck. Went down there to check one out, liked it enough and pulled the trigger. Its an 870 express 28" barrel wood stock.

                Some guys on here were saying the express is not as clean or smooth functioning as the Wingmaster, which is probably true, but the ones that I handled in store felt just fine. The wood on the stock and fore end look and feel good, maybe not as good as the Wingmaster but its definitely not a broom handle.

                I don't plan on replacing stock or anything like that, before this fall I may pick up 1 extra barrel and a couple chokes just for Turkey. But for the time being I want to go bust some clays. The express comes from factory with modified choke. I was thinking of picking up a couple more chokes, Remy has a 2 pack IC + FULL on sale for $25 right now. The full is rated for steel, the IC is not. I am not sure if I should even bother getting one not rated for steel...

                I am excited! My only shotgun is my Fathers old Charles Daly side by side. Its a beautiful gun, and I always worry every time I take to to the range it is going to get dinged up or scratched. As a result I have only been shooting trap maybe once a year.

                That is about to change
                Its all about getting out there and learning while you're having fun.

                Useful info -- All Rem chokes are Steel shot rated. IC and a Skeet (SK) or Cyl will be much more useful then a Full......I can't remember the last time I used a Full for Trap, SC's or long shots at Geese.

                Enjoy your 870

                Comment

                • #98
                  DArBad
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 3002

                  Originally posted by fishnbeer
                  Alright I made my decision. Big 5 had 4th of July sale on Rem 870s. I figured what the heck. Went down there to check one out, liked it enough and pulled the trigger. Its an 870 express 28" barrel wood stock. ...........
                  Congrats, OP!

                  I was at my local Big 5 three days ago, and I saw the Remington 870 Express on sale. Wood stocked and forend with a 28 inch vent rib barrel. I was enticed to get another Express, but I have to hold back.

                  I have a Remington 870 Field Security Combo that I bought last year from Sportsmans Warehouse on sale. It has the 28 inch vent rib barrel with 3 Rem chokes and an 18.5 inch barrel for home defense.

                  Comment

                  • #99
                    BigPimping
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Feb 2010
                    • 21485

                    Originally posted by fishnbeer
                    I am just getting into hunting, recently completed hunter ed course. I only have permission for 1 more gun and I need a (good) shotgun. I plan on using this gun for (1) Turkey, (2) Duck, (3) Feral pigs - firing slugs.

                    Prefer action to be pump and/or semi auto. Price range +/- $750

                    With these things in mind I am probably looking a a barrel length of 24" - 26". I am not sure if I would need it to take 3-1/2" shells, I think up to 3" would cover it. I would prefer camo finish, a good bead and possible mounting for a red dot or scope.

                    I have not looked at new shotguns in a long time. Could someone point me in the right direction

                    Thanks
                    Mossberg 500 combo pack. Then use the rest of money on shells.
                    sigpic

                    PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                    When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                    Don't let your history be a mystery

                    Comment

                    • BOBGBA
                      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 2400

                      Originally posted by Thefeeder
                      ...All Rem chokes are Steel shot rated....
                      Are you sure?

                      I've owned several Remington 12 and 20 gauges with Rem Chokes and:
                      1) I thought the older full Rem Chokes that don't mention either steel or lead were for lead only.
                      2) It's obvious that the newer full Rem Chokes that are marked "Steel or Lead" are steel shot rated. These chokes also seem to have a yellowish tint to them, which I thought (but don't really know) might be some type of hardening.

                      Not that they are the Gospel, but cheaper than dirt shows both the 12 & 20 gauge Rem Chokes that only say Full on them are for lead only.
                      Cheaper Than Dirt! is America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter, and we live up to that title. Expect bulk ammo deals, discounts, gun care accessories and more
                      Last edited by BOBGBA; 07-08-2018, 12:57 PM.
                      God Bless America - My iTrader rating - https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...2-transactions

                      Comment

                      • Thefeeder
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 5007

                        Originally posted by BOBGBA
                        Are you sure?

                        I've owned several Remington 12 and 20 gauges with Rem Chokes and:
                        1) I thought the older full Rem Chokes that don't mention either steel or lead were for lead only.
                        2) It's obvious that the newer full Rem Chokes that are marked "Steel or Lead" are steel shot rated. These chokes also seem to have a yellowish tint to them, which I thought (but don't really know) might be some type of hardening.

                        Not that they are the Gospel, but cheaper than dirt shows both the 12 & 20 gauge Rem Chokes that only say Full on them are for lead only.
                        https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...ategory=120342
                        Manufactures recommend to not use Steel Shot thriugh Full chokes....hence the different marking on the Full chokes.

                        Comment

                        • Ducky's Dad
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 737

                          Any steel-marked choke tube that is nominally "full" will not be as tight as a full choke from the same manufacturer that is/was used for lead. Easy to eyeball constriction difference between old and new Rem "full" choke tubes. Or just measure I.D. with a cheap bore caliper ($30 from Enco when I got mine).

                          Comment

                          • Thefeeder
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Jun 2007
                            • 5007

                            Originally posted by Ducky's Dad
                            Any steel-marked choke tube that is nominally "full" will not be as tight as a full choke from the same manufacturer that is/was used for lead. Easy to eyeball constriction difference between old and new Rem "full" choke tubes. Or just measure I.D. with a cheap bore caliper ($30 from Enco when I got mine).
                            Correct it will mic out close to lead MOD. Steel shoots ~one choke tighter then lead. MOD lead = Full steel, Full lead = Not recommended with steel shot

                            Comment

                            • MJB
                              CGSSA Associate
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 5925

                              Express?

                              Oh well it's your first.....always get one you can afford lots of parts around
                              One life so don't blow it......Always die with your boots on!

                              Comment

                              • deckhandmike
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Jan 2011
                                • 8325

                                So I use one shotgun as well and it’s an 870. For lead free slugs you NEED a rifled barrel. Sure, most manufacturers make one but several charge more than a new 870 for just a extra barrel. I’ve never felt the need for 3.5” and if you buy quality ammo it really helps. I got a 18” barrel with chokes for HD, coyote and turkey depending on how far I plan on hiking (short barrel is light). I use the standard 28” for anything that flies. Even with a pump I can drop two quail out of covey by working the action quick. If you get the 870 100% get a used wingmaster as the finish is higher quality. It doesn’t effect the function but my express rusts every time I even look at it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1