Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need 1 shotgun to 'do it all'

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    RandyCat
    Banned
    • Mar 2018
    • 286

    Originally posted by Fizz
    Used VersaMax. Might be able to get them cheap since Remington is going under.

    Can shoot 3.5 in shells and quite a few barrel options.
    Rifled BBL available?

    Comment

    • #47
      RandyCat
      Banned
      • Mar 2018
      • 286

      Originally posted by ScottB
      Google is your friend.
      Siriously?,
      If you are so smart and have such a great friend, please educate me, show me rifled BBL for Maxus 3.5" chamber(not 3"), A300 or Benelli
      Last edited by RandyCat; 06-25-2018, 2:45 PM.

      Comment

      • #48
        RandyCat
        Banned
        • Mar 2018
        • 286

        Originally posted by Ducky's Dad
        Are there any factory 3-1/2" non-tox slugs? Lead, yes, but I don't recall any non-tox slugs or sabots in that length.

        .
        Plenty of sabots in non lead 2-3/4 and 3". You do not need 3.5 with slugs
        For years i use 2-3/4 for pigs and it is more than enough. Never felt need for more.

        ..
        Last edited by RandyCat; 06-25-2018, 2:46 PM.

        Comment

        • #49
          -hanko
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          CGN Contributor
          • Jul 2002
          • 14174

          Originally posted by RandyCat
          Rifled BBL available?
          Originally posted by RandyCat
          Siriously, It is a very smart a.. answer
          and you think i never used it?
          Originally posted by RandyCat
          Plenty of sabots in non lead 2-3/4 and 3". You do not need 3.5 with slugs. For years i use 2 3/4 and it is more than enough. Never felt need for more.
          Try learning how to multi-quote...find the posts you want to quote, and hit the little "-sign until you get to the last quote...on that one hit the "Quote" button and everything gets posted.

          BTW, a spell-checker might be something to konsidderr.
          True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

          Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

          Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

          A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

          Comment

          • #50
            W.R.Buchanan
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2008
            • 3391

            Originally posted by Ducky's Dad
            OP wants a gun that he can also use for pigs with slugs. How much would he have to spend for a rifled barrel for a 37? I grew up shooting a 37, gave it to my brother because 870s fit my needs a lot better.
            What do you need a rifled barrel for? Slugs from a smooth bore are just fine for 50-100 yards.

            Here's a pic of my 50 yard slug target shot offhand. It's a 2.5" group.

            Randy
            Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 08-18-2018, 11:08 AM.
            Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
            Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
            Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
            Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

            It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
            www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

            Comment

            • #51
              Ducky's Dad
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 737

              Plenty of sabots in non lead 2-3/4 and 3". You do not need 3.5 with slugs
              For years i use 2-3/4 for pigs and it is more than enough. Never felt need for more.
              I don't want or need 3-1/2" slugs, I was responding to ScottB's suggestion that those would be good for pigs, and that 3-1/2" loads would be good for turkeys. Not necessary, and that long chamber screws up the gun's dynamics. Hell, a 3" copper 20 gauge sabot at 100 yards will put down most pigs.

              Comment

              • #52
                RandyCat
                Banned
                • Mar 2018
                • 286

                Originally posted by ScottB
                I used it before I made that post and saw many barrel options. With all respect, I am not your research B***h
                Nope, you are not my research b...h, you just state misleading info, and as soon as you got caught, you became aggressive. No one wants to be caught lying, right? especially on public.
                Last edited by RandyCat; 06-25-2018, 3:36 PM.

                Comment

                • #53
                  RandyCat
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2018
                  • 286

                  Originally posted by -hanko
                  Try learning how to multi-quote...find the posts you want to quote, and hit the little "-sign until you get to the last quote...on that one hit the "Quote" button and everything gets posted.

                  BTW, a spell-checker might be something to konsidderr.
                  One more\... smart...so, i canno be a hunter if i do not know ingliss, rate?

                  Just curious, what makes you feel that you can tell me what to do and how to do?

                  ...
                  Last edited by RandyCat; 06-25-2018, 3:30 PM.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    -hanko
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Jul 2002
                    • 14174

                    Originally posted by RandyCat
                    One more\... smart...so, i canno be a hunter if i do not know ingliss, rate?

                    Just curious, what makes you feel that you can tell me what to do and how to do?

                    ...
                    Not sure why you don't want to help lower bandwidth here, multi-quoting is one way to help.

                    Remember that "ignorant" can be fixed if you want, but "stupid" is for life.
                    Last edited by -hanko; 06-25-2018, 3:41 PM.
                    True wealth is time. Time to enjoy life.

                    Life's journey is not to arrive safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "holy schit...what a ride"!!

                    Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in. Mark Twain

                    A man's soul can be judged by the way he treats his dog. Charles Doran

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      RandyCat
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2018
                      • 286

                      Originally posted by W.R.Buchanan
                      What do you need a rifled barrel for? Slugs from a smooth bore are just fine for 50-100 yards.

                      Here's a pic of my 50 yard slug target shot offhand. It's a 2.5" group.

                      Randy
                      Great, but most pigs i killed on public land were well over 75 yard shots, i'd say 100+
                      Rifled BBl gives me 1.5-2" group @ 100 yard. and i'm far from being a great shoot.
                      besides, as it was mentioned before, there are very limited number of regular slugs in non-lead. You cannot shoot sabots from smooth BBL

                      Any spelling mistakes?

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        RandyCat
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2018
                        • 286

                        Originally posted by -hanko
                        Not sure why you don't want to help lower bandwidth here, multi-quoting is one way to help.

                        Remember that "ignorant" can be fixed if you want, but "stupid" is for life.
                        Nope, i want to understand why you feel you can tell me what to do and how to do and if i can be a hunter/member here not having A++ in ingliss grammore
                        and also, how is it related to the OP.
                        I guess your comments help greatly reduce the bandwidth,

                        OK, i'm done here, thanks for the attention and your time.

                        OP, the invitation is standing, you can come anytime. I'm retired old poop most of the time home
                        Last edited by RandyCat; 06-25-2018, 3:46 PM.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Fizz
                          Senior Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 1473

                          Originally posted by RandyCat
                          Rifled BBL available?
                          Yes.

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            ysr_racer
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2006
                            • 12014

                            OP, what have you learned? There's a bunch of choices out there. Pick one, and have fun.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              fishnbeer
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 777

                              what the heck just happened in here

                              Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Things were brought to my attention that I had not considered, and I also was not aware how easy a barrel change is on some of these pump guns. That gives me the option of a Turkey/Duck barrel, and for slugs I could purchase one of these super trick cantilever scope mount rifled shotgun barrels. The only reason I want slug capability is for certain shotgun only hunting areas for pig/deer. Realistically I probably wont be going to those places too often, but I still want the option.

                              The main priorities are Turkey and Duck which I plan on hunting this fall. The A300 looks like a strong contender for that, and an automatic would be great for both of those. But I have not yet found a rifled barrel for the A300. I have not decided if that will be a deal breaker yet, but it makes the 870 more attractive.

                              I have been looking at all the used 870s and 500s for sale on here, and pretty much all of them have short barrel with extended tubes which I would have to replace so that pretty much defeats the purpose of buying used.

                              Much to think about ....

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                etwinam
                                Veteran Member
                                • Mar 2016
                                • 3223

                                Originally posted by fishnbeer
                                what the heck just happened in here

                                Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Things were brought to my attention that I had not considered, and I also was not aware how easy a barrel change is on some of these pump guns. That gives me the option of a Turkey/Duck barrel, and for slugs I could purchase one of these super trick cantilever scope mount rifled shotgun barrels. The only reason I want slug capability is for certain shotgun only hunting areas for pig/deer. Realistically I probably wont be going to those places too often, but I still want the option.

                                The main priorities are Turkey and Duck which I plan on hunting this fall. The A300 looks like a strong contender for that, and an automatic would be great for both of those. But I have not yet found a rifled barrel for the A300. I have not decided if that will be a deal breaker yet, but it makes the 870 more attractive.

                                I have been looking at all the used 870s and 500s for sale on here, and pretty much all of them have short barrel with extended tubes which I would have to replace so that pretty much defeats the purpose of buying used.

                                Much to think about ....
                                Barrel change on a semiauto is actually easier than a pump. My A300 is a simple twist and set. But like you said the rifled barrel doesn't exist for it.

                                In terms of hunting with a shotgun barrel. I know your wife said only one more gun but I believe you would be amiss to assume you will only own one more gun, maybe that's just me haha. I have a bolt gun for hogs and deer. Shotgun for duck and rabbits etc.

                                Often when you try to make one gun do everything you may end up miserable in all things is what I'm saying. Perhaps define what your primary use will be, then your 2nd and 3rd... Then prioritize those options. Buy the gun that fits your top two primary needs the best like bird and clays or home defense and deer slug, etc.
                                God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1