Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Need 1 shotgun to 'do it all'

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    W.R.Buchanan
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2008
    • 3391

    Two completely different animals.

    The Tactical Guns are setup up short so you are more square with the target.

    The Hunting Guns are set up with a longer LOP and thus use a more bladed stance which is similar to Trap and Skeet shooting.

    The Magpul Stock is VERY adjustable for both LOP and Comb height, so you should be able to fit the gun to you for either purpose.

    One thing I do on mine is get the Magpul Recoil Pad Adapter for the Remington Synthetic Recoil Pads which have a much larger surface area than the stock Magpul Pad. This cuts down on the "Perceived Recoil" alot.

    As far as caring about what someone might think about how your gun looks in the field,,, Who cares.

    I have thought about shooting Trap with my M500 Tac gun as it has a Vang Comp Barrel which will probably pattern shot well enough for Trap. I'd be laughed off the range.

    Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-26-2018, 2:10 PM.
    Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
    Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
    Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
    Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

    It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

    Comment

    • #77
      fishnbeer
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2010
      • 777

      Okay I had a couple beers and have been looking more at semi-autos. The A300 really does look like a great shooter, but I do want a camo finish and option for a rifled slug barrel.

      So I ended up looking more at the Mossberg 930s. In terms of price, they are a touch less than the A300, and you can get a camo finish, and there are a ton of barrel options. They offer a Deer/Waterfowl combo, but I think for the rifled slug barrel I would want the ability to mount a 4x or 7x scope on a cantilever mount.

      So I was thinking of starting off with the 930 turkey model. Comes in camo, 24" vent rib barrel with fiber optic sights, I would be good to go for this fall

      And then I could get the 28" barrel for trap/duck and eventually slug barrel.

      When it comes to chokes in terms of shooting non-lead, most likely steel, I know I should not go for a super small choke. What choke should I choose for steel turkey loads, and are those chokes available for a 930?

      Other automatic option would be an 11-87. Anyone have experience with remy 11-87's?

      Barrel options also available for the 11-87s ...

      Any other automatics I should consider?

      Comment

      • #78
        W.R.Buchanan
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2008
        • 3391

        I think everybody has Extended Turkey Choke Tubes which are probably pretty close to full or extra full.

        Turkey shooting is more like slug shooting in that you are aiming at the bird's head and you want as tight a patern as possible to remove as much of his head as possible. This requires a tight pattern.

        The Rifled Slug barrel would look like the 3rd from the top in the Mossberg picture above in post #81 IE: cantelever scope mount. I'd be looking at a 1-4X scope for that purpose.

        Randy
        Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
        Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
        Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
        Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

        It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
        www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

        Comment

        • #79
          pennstater
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2010
          • 4671

          OP, the 930 you linked above can be had for $474.00 at budsgunshop.com.
          Find your other/optional barrel and you should be good.

          Comment

          • #80
            Novak77
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 632

            I know someone else mentioned this but...... Get whatever fits the best. Pick up everything you can and swing it around. You'll know when its right. A well fitted shotgun can make a world of difference. That being said I believe the A300 comes with shims and I'm sure they're available for the 930 as well.

            Comment

            • #81
              fishnbeer
              Senior Member
              • Sep 2010
              • 777

              A question on plugging the tube so reduce capacity... The 930 holds 5 rounds, so I need to reduce that for hunting.
              Looking at parts listed on their site they do show a dowell to put in to reduce capacity : http://www.mossberg.com/store/930-93...wel-16818.html
              Is a wooden dowell good enough solution for DFG? I thought a mag plug had to be more of a permanent kind of thing. . .

              Comment

              • #82
                MJB
                CGSSA Associate
                • Sep 2010
                • 5925

                So your getting a tactical 930 for hunting?
                One life so don't blow it......Always die with your boots on!

                Comment

                • #83
                  fishnbeer
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 777

                  Originally posted by W.R.Buchanan
                  I think everybody has Extended Turkey Choke Tubes which are probably pretty close to full or extra full.

                  ...

                  I'd be looking at a 1-4X scope for that purpose.

                  Randy
                  ok so full and extra full are ok for shooting steel? i thought steel through full choke was a no-no...

                  And yeah for slug barrel I agree, 4x should be sufficient as I would most likely be shooting slugs at less than 150 yards. I would probably look for a fixed 4x for that

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    Ducky's Dad
                    Senior Member
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 737

                    There is a lot of goofy info and opinion in this thread, so be cautious about what you believe.

                    ok so full and extra full are ok for shooting steel? i thought steel through full choke was a no-no...
                    Steel and other harder-than-lead shot can be shot through SOME Full and X-Full chokes, but not all. You need to consider the size of the pellets, the weight of the shot charge, and the actual constriction of the choke. If the gun has removable choke tubes (as yours almost certainly will), you also need to consider the steel alloy used for the tubes. If the chokes are marked for steel, then you should be OK for steel shot up to most sensible sizes. For example, I wouldn't shoot steel or tungsten alloy T-shot through an extra full choke, even if it's marked for steel. Older guns with fixed full chokes are generally not a good idea for steel. The newer tubes that are sold as Full or X-Full or Turkey chokes for steel have less constriction than the older tubes. They have less constriction so that the steel pellets can get through the choke without damaging the choke or the barrel. This is necessary because steel pellets don't compress like lead when they are forced through the choke. Another reason for reduced constriction is that steel pellets pattern more tightly than lead. So, you can shoot steel through older guns and chokes that were not necessarily built for steel, but you need to be aware of the limitations and characteristics. The usual advice it to not shoot steel through anything tighter than modified, and to step down one constriction from what you would use for lead. Example, if you shoot pheasants with a modified choke using lead, use an improved cylinder choke for similar patterns with steel. Seems like you need to start reading up on sporting shotguns, loads, chokes, reliability of various guns, etc. Not all the advice you are getting here is necessarily good advice for you and your needs.

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      BarrettM99
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • 2199

                      Camo is only a rattle can away. I would consider a good deal if one comes along. Painting camo is really simple...just a thought.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        ysr_racer
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2006
                        • 12014

                        OP, have you considered an H&H as a do all? There's another thread about them.

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          NapalmCheese
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 5958

                          Originally posted by fishnbeer
                          A question on plugging the tube so reduce capacity... The 930 holds 5 rounds, so I need to reduce that for hunting.
                          Looking at parts listed on their site they do show a dowell to put in to reduce capacity : http://www.mossberg.com/store/930-93...wel-16818.html
                          Is a wooden dowell good enough solution for DFG? I thought a mag plug had to be more of a permanent kind of thing. . .
                          As long as you can't pure more than 2 rounds in the magazine, you're good to go.

                          Why the AR people get worked up about what 'permanent' is and decide they need to epoxy, solder, weld, rivet, and cement fill their magazines is beyond me.
                          Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            NapalmCheese
                            Calguns Addict
                            • Feb 2011
                            • 5958

                            Sounds like you're settled on a 930, cool. If you're not settled:

                            I can tell you from my experience that the Benelli Nova works well, is extremely easy to clean, takes rattle can camo like a champ, and shoots 2-3/4 to 3-1/2 inch shells. Why the need for 3-1/2 inch shells? Because when you buddy buys a box and decides he doesn't want to shoot them you can finish off the box for him. It's a little rattly, and feels super chunky (not unlike the proverbial 2x4).

                            The Remington 870 fits and swings better for me, but is harder to clean. The 870 express and the wingmaster use the same parts from the same assembly line, but I think the people assembling the guns pay more attention to the wingmaster and cherry pick the nicer parts during assembly kicking the rest down the line for the express assemblers. The finish on the wingmaster is leagues better than the finish on the express which is a rust magnet. Truth be told I haven't handled a new express or wingmaster for years so I could be completely wrong.

                            The finish on the Nova's barrel is also a rust magnet.

                            Get a 26-28 inch barrel, I prefer 28 in the Nova, I don't remember what I prefer in the 3 inch 870.
                            Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              pennstater
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2010
                              • 4671

                              I'd like to think that most "field grade" shotguns, A300, 939, 870's, Nova's, etc, come with the plug already installed. Of the four shotguns I own, they all came with one already there. I can't say for "tactical" style shotguns. Many choices out there, but, that Moss 500 Flex looks promising for the pumps. Have more questions OP? Ask away.

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                pesty3782
                                Member
                                • Jul 2007
                                • 377

                                Well I guess I am a Remington lover since I have (3) 870's and (2) 11-87's....I also have a Beretta Extreme II, but shoot the Remington's much better....

                                I have been shooting 870's for over 30 years so the 870's and 11-87's shoulder very nicely for me after all those years.

                                tony P.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1