Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Maverick 88 - Pros/Cons

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    sanjoseskater
    Senior Member
    • Jan 2014
    • 597

    Originally posted by TS77
    I recommend getting the combo version, both short and long barrels, in case you want to bust some clays
    I have both the 500 combo silver 18.5/28 from big 5 $299 and the 7+1 20inch barrel maverick 88 $199 From big 5. I personally don't like the balance of the 20inch barrel 7+1. If I only wanted a self defense 18.5 barrel or a clay busting 28 inch barrel I would get the maverick 88 from dicks sporting goods for under 200. If you want both the 18.5 barrel and the 28 barrel get a 500 combo silver on sale from big 5 for 299. The maverick 88 and mossberg 500 are the exact same gun IMO with a different safety. I know some of the parts for the maverick 88 are made in Mexico.... I have shot, field striped and cleaned both and IMO they are the same.

    Comment

    • #17
      akjunkie
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
      • Jan 2005
      • 3497

      Comment

      • #18
        mitch1
        Member
        • Aug 2016
        • 469

        Safety on the maverick is on the trigger guard. On the 500 it is on the top.
        Most things interchange between the two,
        the 20 inch it is rumored that it will hold 13 Aquila mini shells.
        I drilled and tapped for the picatiinny rail.
        personally I would skip the side saddle shell holder. I have the Ar stock with the folding adapter and pistol grip. I repurposed the maverick/mossy stock with a exile machine headbutt adapter and I now have a really fugly featureless AR

        Comment

        • #19
          Greg B
          Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 295

          image.jpg

          11 in the tube, 1 in the chamber. Maybe if the mag spring were just a bit shorter, 12 would fit.
          Minis are just too expensive though, so I cast my own slugs and make shortys at around .25 cents a pop.

          Comment

          • #20
            meno377
            ?????
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jul 2013
            • 4911

            For me best bang for the buck. $190 at big 5 when on sale. 8+1 with 20" barrel.
            Last edited by meno377; 01-11-2018, 2:49 AM.
            Originally posted by Fjold
            I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
            Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
            -Milton Friedman


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #21
              johnthomas
              Calguns Addict
              • Mar 2009
              • 7001

              Two barrels 239.00
              I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

              Comment

              • #22
                pennstater
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2010
                • 4671

                For OP's intended purpose, the Big 5 deal looks good.

                Comment

                • #23
                  KahrMan
                  Member
                  • Aug 2016
                  • 458

                  Good fun gun
                  My God, even the Conservatives are liberal in the messed up State

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    FalconLair
                    Veteran Member
                    • Apr 2012
                    • 3989

                    so, i won the auction with my bid https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/736403337

                    wasn't too hard, i was the only bidder

                    won it at $269.95, when you consider the six position stock with shell holder runs about $75 bucks i'll chalk it up as a wash for the slightly higher price

                    i figure that as long as i don't play hot potato with it and keep it in my hands where it belong i should be gtg

                    if i get desperate i can always cover it with some bubble wrap

                    bothers me though, won the bid on the 7th and they still haven't shipped it - sigh
                    Originally posted by Barang
                    I! hate! you! FalconLair.
                    Originally posted by JagerDog
                    I hate you FalconLair!
                    Originally Posted by JTROKS
                    I hate you FalconLair! I double hate you if you get it before Christmas!
                    Originally posted by gcvt
                    They hate you FalconLair
                    Originally posted by Greta
                    HOW DARE YOU!! I hate you FalconLair

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      meno377
                      ?????
                      CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                      • Jul 2013
                      • 4911

                      Originally posted by johnthomas
                      THANKS A LOT!!!!! I had to get one of those combos today!!!!
                      Originally posted by Fjold
                      I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
                      Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
                      -Milton Friedman


                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        remusrm
                        Member
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 479

                        Originally posted by johnthomas

                        I am really considering this!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Uxi
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Apr 2008
                          • 5155

                          I have the 20" and like it. I still want a 590A1 but no intention of getting rid of the 88. It's a simple and relatively cheap pump gun.
                          "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

                          9mm + 5.56mm =
                          .45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
                          10mm + 6.8 SPC =
                          sigpic

                          Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Brown Rock
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2009
                            • 4605

                            I have a Maverick 88 with 18.5" barrel. Good shotgun. Bought it new in 2016, only has 25 rounds of 00 Buck fired through it. I have done the 500 conversion on it, added a Mossberg factory heat shield, and installed all wood furniture. Looks like a bad *** trench gun.

                            I also have a 590A1 Mariner in 10 day jail right now. I'm 90% sure I will be transferring the wood furniture from the 88 and onto the 590A1 Mariner. The synthetic furniture along with the railed forend from the 590A1 with go on the 88. Then the 88 will be put up for sale.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Brown Rock; 04-12-2018, 9:02 PM.
                            Fernando became an American the courageous way. By outrunning the speed boat.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              General
                              Senior Member
                              • Mar 2012
                              • 1984

                              No cons. You get what you pay for.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Rottentofu
                                Senior Member
                                • Jan 2015
                                • 2189

                                Originally posted by LEAD LAUNCHER
                                Do you have any closer pics of the mount?

                                Who makes the mount?

                                How does it mount to gun?

                                Also which flashlight and what light mount is that?



                                ....
                                Sorry for the super late reply, I didn't see the questions until just now.

                                Please see the links for each item:

                                Picatinny rail + side saddle

                                TacStar Shotgun Rail Mount with Sidesaddle Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TBESVCK..._.Gb0Ab35Z0HSJ

                                Light

                                Streamlight 88850 PolyTac LED Flashlight with Lithium Batteries, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001S0IN46..._zIb0AbMQZQPVH

                                Light mount

                                Elzetta ZSM-T Flashlight Mount for Tactical Shotgun, Remington 870, Mossberg 500, Quick Release Thumbscrew Model https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004GYIE5E..._XIb0AbWB48V6A

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1