Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Monthly Rimfire Match Archive

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • yelohamr
    Senior Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 1402

    Originally posted by RipVanWinkle
    That Aguila Hyper really goes off with a POP, doesn't it! I tried some and it was all over the place in my bolt action. That looks like some pretty good shooting based on my experience with it! Haven't tried it in my wife's 10/22 yet. Hmmmm.....
    My 10/22 has a 1:9 barrel that I put on it for the Aquila Sniper SubSonic 60 grain.
    It seems to work well with everything I've used.

    Comment

    • RipVanWinkle
      Member
      • Feb 2010
      • 266

      Originally posted by yelohamr
      My 10/22 has a 1:9 barrel that I put on it for the Aquila Sniper SubSonic 60 grain.
      It seems to work well with everything I've used.
      Probably just a higher quality barrel all around. My Z5 is 1:16 I believe. You'd think that would be better for stabilizing those little 30 gr. Hyper bullets than a faster twist rate, but t'aint so.

      Comment

      • usmcchet9296
        CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
        • Feb 2008
        • 1834

        My first outting this month and due to kids games and the holidays my last for this month
        First off is 25 yard iron sights with a Mossberg M44 Augila Match Rifle. I dedicate this to my bud Surf-n-Shoot..... beat that buddy

        Next up is my finicky Savage MK2 TR. I have tried SK, Aguila match rifle and pistol, Fiochi and none of them are as good as bulk CCI Blazer... go figure
        50 Yards scoped

        100 Yards scoped

        Well Im sure ill be beat at 50 and 100 but all things considered Im happy with my outting today. Saw a guy with a CMP Kimber 82 and man that thing is sweet ...gonna have to save my pennies for that.
        John P. Hermesmeyer
        U.S.M.C. 1992 to 1996 0311 5th Marines
        Current location: Camp Living room 1st Recline Div.Now in Texas
        sigpic
        Visit http://www.cawheelburners.com
        In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.

        Comment

        • surfNshoot
          CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
          • Mar 2008
          • 1444

          ^^^^^^ Nice Shooting buddy!!!!!!! Oh.. Don't worry. I got this.. hahaha
          Last edited by surfNshoot; 11-10-2010, 10:29 PM.

          Comment

          • usmcchet9296
            CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
            • Feb 2008
            • 1834

            Originally posted by surfNshoot
            ^^^^^^ Nice Shooting buddy!!!!!!! Oh.. Don't worry. I got this.. hahaha
            Just remember I taught you everything thing I know
            John P. Hermesmeyer
            U.S.M.C. 1992 to 1996 0311 5th Marines
            Current location: Camp Living room 1st Recline Div.Now in Texas
            sigpic
            Visit http://www.cawheelburners.com
            In memory of my friend Officer Ryan Bonaminio Riverside PD. Gone but not forgotten.

            Comment

            • Izzy43
              CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
              • Dec 2009
              • 2670

              Originally posted by usmcchet9296
              My first outting this month and due to kids games and the holidays my last for this month
              First off is 25 yard iron sights with a Mossberg M44 Augila Match Rifle. I dedicate this to my bud Surf-n-Shoot..... beat that buddy

              Next up is my finicky Savage MK2 TR. I have tried SK, Aguila match rifle and pistol, Fiochi and none of them are as good as bulk CCI Blazer... go figure
              50 Yards scoped

              100 Yards scoped

              Well Im sure ill be beat at 50 and 100 but all things considered Im happy with my outting today. Saw a guy with a CMP Kimber 82 and man that thing is sweet ...gonna have to save my pennies for that.
              Great shooting especially on that 25 yd target. I want your Mossy and your eyes. I'm sure I could match that 25 yd target if I could use a 25X scope That TR might like Federal Automatch but them Savages can drive you crazy trying to find the ammo that they like. Took me 6 months to figure out my BTVS (action screw torque and Wolf MT). Got a CZ UltraLux in 10 day jail with a Williams receiver sight. Hope that lets me shoot better @ 25 yds.

              Comment

              • surfNshoot
                CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                • Mar 2008
                • 1444

                Originally posted by usmcchet9296
                Just remember I taught you everything thing I know
                haha. I guess I can't really argue that.

                Comment

                • scootle
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Oct 2010
                  • 2702

                  i think i got it zero'ed...

                  Hi, I'm the new guy around here.

                  So I took my (nearly) new S&W M&P 15-22 to the indoor 25yd range tonight to sight in the MBUS and red dot sight (Primary Arms M4 clone, 1x w/ 2 MOA dot). I had exactly four of the 25yd targets printed in my bag, so when I was done sighting everything in, I said, "what the heck" and gave it a go. This was shooting CCI mini-mag 40gr solid nose rounds and using the GripPod LE as shown.



                  Darn it... I was close to clearing it on the 3rd try! I wanted that one shot on the lower target to break that 10 ring, but the more I stared at it, the more I had to admit it didn't quite break the ring. So I'm one point off.



                  I tried one more time on the 4th sheet and didn't quite get there. I'll have to give it another go next time. I see lots of people belly aching about how the tacti-cool .22 rifles are just for fun and can't shoot straight... clearly that's not the case. Aside from the PA RDS and the grip pod, this thing is bone stock! I'm not sure I can shoot this precisely with the MBUS iron sights though... I'll have to give it a try when I have a larger stack of targets...

                  My bolt gun comes in next week (Savage Mk II TR)... hope to give the 50yd targets a go at the very least... 100yds might take a lot more practice. I might try the 15-22 at 50yds since I have a 3x magnifier for it, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Something to work on at the outdoor range anyhow!
                  Last edited by scootle; 11-15-2010, 11:35 PM.
                  SCC CCW *326 Days, $1051.29*
                  Application: 2/27/2023 ($72.33)
                  Original Interview: 12/21@1030|Actual: 4/13@0900
                  'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
                  Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
                  Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
                  LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
                  LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
                  Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
                  Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030

                  Comment

                  • scootle
                    CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                    CGN Contributor
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 2702

                    Originally posted by RipVanWinkle
                    I'm hoping to get out and shoot the 100 yard target. The problem is the range closest to me won't let us shoot rimfire on the 100 yard range! That range is open every day and only costs me $9 to shoot because they give an old fart discount. The next closest range allows rimfire on the 100 yard range, but it's only open Friday through Monday, and they charge $14 to shoot. O.K., so I'm a cheap old skinflint, but I don't usually go to the more expensive and distant range unless I'm also going to work up loads for my centerfire guns and I can make a day of it.
                    I'm in the SFBA as well... not sure which ranges you use, but does the Field Sports Park at Metcalf allow rimfire on the 100yd range? I'm pretty sure they allow rimfire on the 50yd, but I'd have to double check. I will ask specifically next time. I suspect that if it isn't a busy day, they won't care too much as long as you make way for people with their centerfire toys if it gets busy.

                    They are open Wed-Sun I believe, and the fees are very nice at $12 for as long as you want to stay.
                    SCC CCW *326 Days, $1051.29*
                    Application: 2/27/2023 ($72.33)
                    Original Interview: 12/21@1030|Actual: 4/13@0900
                    'Informal" email Background complete: 9/19
                    Email to schedule Psych: 10/27@1539 ($150)
                    Psych Test: 11/3@0800|Psych Interview: 11/9@0900 (Dr.McKenzie)
                    LiveScan: 11/9 (UPS Store $93+$25)|Livescan cleared: CA/FBI 11/9, Firearms 11/20
                    LiveScan Email: 11/17@0842
                    Training Email: 11/29@1007|Instructor: 1/10/2024 SaberTactics ($399+40)|Docs: 1/12
                    Approval: 1/17@1346 ($264+$7.96)|Pickup: 1/19@1030

                    Comment

                    • Izzy43
                      CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 2670

                      Originally posted by scootle
                      Hi, I'm the new guy around here.

                      So I took my (nearly) new S&W M&P 15-22 to the indoor 25yd range tonight to sight in the MBUS and red dot sight (Primary Arms M4 clone, 1x w/ 2 MOA dot). I had exactly four of the 25yd targets printed in my bag, so when I was done sighting everything in, I said, "what the heck" and gave it a go. This was shooting CCI mini-mag 40gr solid nose rounds and using the GripPod LE as shown.



                      Darn it... I was close to clearing it on the 3rd try! I wanted that one shot on the lower target to break that 10 ring, but the more I stared at it, the more I had to admit it didn't quite break the ring. So I'm one point off.



                      I tried one more time on the 4th sheet and didn't quite get there. I'll have to give it another go next time. I see lots of people belly aching about how the tacti-cool .22 rifles are just for fun and can't shoot straight... clearly that's not the case. Aside from the PA RDS and the grip pod, this thing is bone stock! I'm not sure I can shoot this precisely with the MBUS iron sights though... I'll have to give it a try when I have a larger stack of targets...

                      My bolt gun comes in next week (Savage Mk II TR)... hope to give the 50yd targets a go at the very least... 100yds might take a lot more practice. I might try the 15-22 at 50yds since I have a 3x magnifier for it, but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Something to work on at the outdoor range anyhow!
                      Nice shooting. Welcome to the matches. This can become very addictive. Watch your wallet you might find yourself with more rifles trying to get those elusive clean targets. Oh yeah and new scopes, match ammo, new rests and bags, religious icons, the list goes on. The Savage TR is a nice rifle.

                      Comment

                      • RipVanWinkle
                        Member
                        • Feb 2010
                        • 266

                        I got out yesterday to shoot the 100 yard target, and, as predicted, I was unable to match Izzy's 49. In fact I didn't come close. Part of the problem was the wind which was blowing: gusty, and right to left over the first 50 yards and the reverse over the second 50 yards. I wasn't sure how to handle that except to go straight at the target. The other problem was that I can't see the bullet holes through my scope at 100 yards when the shots hit in the darker part of the target, even at 9x, so I couldn't correct the elevation even though I was clearly shooting low. Most of the scatter is in the windage, as you might expect. Shot with Z5 and Winchester 333 ammo, Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x AO scope. So, a couple of 45s.




                        Comment

                        • RipVanWinkle
                          Member
                          • Feb 2010
                          • 266

                          Originally posted by scootle
                          I'm in the SFBA as well... not sure which ranges you use, but does the Field Sports Park at Metcalf allow rimfire on the 100yd range? I'm pretty sure they allow rimfire on the 50yd, but I'd have to double check. I will ask specifically next time. I suspect that if it isn't a busy day, they won't care too much as long as you make way for people with their centerfire toys if it gets busy.

                          They are open Wed-Sun I believe, and the fees are very nice at $12 for as long as you want to stay.
                          I don't know about Metcalf, but it's way too far from me to be worth the drive. I usually shoot at San Leandro because it's cheaper and closer, but they might make an exception if nobody's shooting at 100 yards, as sometimes happens. I shot yesterday on Chabot's 100 yard range. A nice range, but definitely windier than San Leandro most days, and more expensive.

                          Nice shooting with that M&P 15-22!!! One shot away from a clean target, You're hooked!

                          Comment

                          • Izzy43
                            CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 2670

                            Originally posted by RipVanWinkle
                            I got out yesterday to shoot the 100 yard target, and, as predicted, I was unable to match Izzy's 49. In fact I didn't come close. Part of the problem was the wind which was blowing: gusty, and right to left over the first 50 yards and the reverse over the second 50 yards. I wasn't sure how to handle that except to go straight at the target. The other problem was that I can't see the bullet holes through my scope at 100 yards when the shots hit in the darker part of the target, even at 9x, so I couldn't correct the elevation even though I was clearly shooting low. Most of the scatter is in the windage, as you might expect. Shot with Z5 and Winchester 333 ammo, Simmons 22 Mag 3-9x AO scope. So, a couple of 45s.




                            Up about 1/2" on that first target would be about a 49. I have been trying for the last week to clean that 100yd target but the wind is a real devil at that yardage. Almost did it today, was aiming 1/2" to the left to hit the bull and just as I let off the 4th shot the wind died so ended up with another 49. We rarely get a windless day at my range so its tough to shot MOA @100yds.

                            Comment

                            • RipVanWinkle
                              Member
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 266

                              Originally posted by Izzy43
                              Up about 1/2" on that first target would be about a 49.
                              Careful here, Izzy. You're giving me ideas about a "Texas Sharpshooter" solution to the problem. The "Texas Sharpshooter" fires a group into the side of his barn, then paints in a target centered on the group! So I could shoot a nice tight group on a big sheet of clean paper, center the 100 yard target on the group and trace the outline, then cut along the dotted outline and place that piece of paper in the inkjet printer and print out a target on top of the group! (Or, better yet, do the whole thing in Photoshop.!) "Calguns Sharpshooter"

                              Comment

                              • surfNshoot
                                CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                                • Mar 2008
                                • 1444

                                ^^^^ LOL. Quit giving me ideas. I havn't got to shoot yet this month and you guys are posting some sick targets. It is supose to rain this weekend too. Its my only opportunity for the month.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1