Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Monthly Rimfire Match Archive

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • sando
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 567

    Originally posted by Lazyme
    Very nice!! looks like I got my work cut out for me. My best is 116 on this target with my 10/22 but I'm hitting a shelf of 111 this month with the new Savage.
    Originally posted by Izzy43
    Nice shooting, good to see some rifle targets I can't hardly keep up with the Pistoleros and their targets (not complaining).
    Thanks! I installed a set of BRNO Match Sights over the wekend. What a difference. I started at 50y and did ok. At 25y with the CZ and these sights, it's like cheating.

    That brings to mind a question: aperture type sights are still considered 'irons' for this contest, yes?

    Comment

    • Izzy43
      CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
      • Dec 2009
      • 2670

      Originally posted by sando
      Thanks! I installed a set of BRNO Match Sights over the wekend. What a difference. I started at 50y and did ok. At 25y with the CZ and these sights, it's like cheating.

      That brings to mind a question: aperture type sights are still considered 'irons' for this contest, yes?
      Yes, in fact that's all I shoot for iron sights. In reality its kind of unfair to the regular open sight guys. I shoot as well with my CZ and Kimber with aperture sights as I do with a scope @ 25 and 50 yds. Once you get the hang of using them you will amaze yourself as to how well you will shoot. Downside is they are not much use for hunting, guess that's why they call them Target Sights.

      One thing to consider after you get proficient with those sights is to purchase some different size front aperture inserts. Pretty cheap and can make a real difference. I have a set of 10 different sizes and an adjustable rear aperture and they can really change the game. For $100 I'll tell you where I got em.

      Comment

      • Lazyme
        Member
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Apr 2011
        • 669

        This Savage MK II I just picked up came with a set of 10 front inserts but I am fighting the rear peep sight and the fit of the stock to a man my size. I need to play with the length of pull and the comb before looking into an adjustable rear peep but that sounds like one hell of an upgrade!!
        Weeeeeeeee

        Comment

        • sando
          Senior Member
          • Aug 2012
          • 567

          Originally posted by Izzy43
          For $100 I'll tell you where I got em.
          Only $100 bucks to access Izzy's treasure trove of secrets? Whatta deal!

          Comment

          • Lazyme
            Member
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Apr 2011
            • 669

            Originally posted by sando
            Only $100 bucks to access Izzy's treasure trove of secrets? Whatta deal!
            Probably found em on Amazon. They have everything!
            Weeeeeeeee

            Comment

            • Izzy43
              CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
              • Dec 2009
              • 2670

              Originally posted by Lazyme
              Probably found em on Amazon. They have everything!
              Not on Amazon. You better hurry as soon as I have another birthday I'll probably forget where I got em. Oh well, here is some info.

              Adjustable Rear Iris, fits Kimber 82g, need adapter to fit the BRNO Target Sights.





              These are the inserts that I think work with the BRNO and Kimber 82G front globe sight. They are not the same as I have but the company that made mine sold their inventory to Champions Choice. I would call or email them before buying to ensure you get the right ones. Mine range in size from 2.4-4.2mm (10 inserts) so these are a different size. Buyer beware. Mine were made by Slimline of Canada and I think (emphasis on THINK) these will fit.



              I apologize in advance if I am contributing to your addiction and causing your bank account to get smaller.
              Last edited by Izzy43; 03-13-2013, 9:07 AM.

              Comment

              • sando
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2012
                • 567

                That Gehmann Iris is on my wish list but I'm going to play with the stock iris for now (code for 'out of money').

                I did get a set of the Slimline inserts. I wasn't sure how I'd like them but they are extremely handy. Do you find yourself changing them out often? Do you match the opening to the entire black ring on the target or only the X? Why not just put the smallest disk in and leave it at that?

                Comment

                • Izzy43
                  CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 2670

                  Originally posted by sando
                  That Gehmann Iris is on my wish list but I'm going to play with the stock iris for now (code for 'out of money').

                  I did get a set of the Slimline inserts. I wasn't sure how I'd like them but they are extremely handy. Do you find yourself changing them out often? Do you match the opening to the entire black ring on the target or only the X? Why not just put the smallest disk in and leave it at that?
                  The front inserts are used to size the target to the opening in the insert. You want to leave a small ring of white around a black bullseye when viewed thru the front aperture. You will not achieve the best precision by sizing the aperture to the exact size of the bullseye, it is best to see the a white ring inside the front aperture with the bullseye inside that white ring. Equalize the white ring around the bullseye and shoot. The size also depends on the shooters eyesight (how well you can see). I initially started with the smallest aperture but found thru experimentation that a larger aperture worked better for me. When shooting the black bullseye is just a blur in my sight, I concentrate on seeing an equal amount of white around the bull.

                  The adjustable rear iris (aperture) is used to control the amount of light that you get thru the sight. On overcast days it is useful to open the iris up to a larger aperture to allow more light, close it down on a bright day to eliminate glare. It is pretty amazing to adjust the iris and suddenly its like a spotlight is shown on the target.

                  Standard target sizes for aperture sights is 2" bull @ 25yds, 4" bull @ 50yds and 8" bull @ 100yds. These are what the serious competition shooters use. All very scientific, has to do with the human eye looking thru a small hole at a distant circle.

                  Comment

                  • Barryt
                    Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 274

                    Well I got back out on my range today with some renewed effort and turned out a slightly better target. Let me know if I scored it wrong.

                    50 yard rifle w/scope



                    -barry
                    Last edited by Barryt; 03-13-2013, 2:49 PM.

                    Comment

                    • Izzy43
                      CGSSA Rimfire Coordinator
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 2670

                      Originally posted by Barryt
                      Well I got back out on my range today with some renewed effort and turned out a slightly better target. Let me know if I scored it wrong.

                      50 yard rifle w/scope




                      -barry
                      Nice shooting Barry. I don't understand the +1 on the upper left bullseye and same on the lower right. If 2 holes are touching you have 2 bonus points, 3 touching is +3, etc. up to 5 bonus points on each bullesye. Maybe you need to take another look at your target for the bonus points to ensure you have scored it correctly. Its a little hard for me to see.

                      Izzy
                      Last edited by Izzy43; 03-13-2013, 2:21 PM. Reason: got my right and left mixed up

                      Comment

                      • sando
                        Senior Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 567

                        Originally posted by Izzy43
                        The front inserts are used to size the target to the opening in the insert. You want to leave a small ring of white around a black bullseye when viewed thru the front aperture. You will not achieve the best precision by sizing the aperture to the exact size of the bullseye, it is best to see the a white ring inside the front aperture with the bullseye inside that white ring. Equalize the white ring around the bullseye and shoot. The size also depends on the shooters eyesight (how well you can see). I initially started with the smallest aperture but found thru experimentation that a larger aperture worked better for me. When shooting the black bullseye is just a blur in my sight, I concentrate on seeing an equal amount of white around the bull.

                        The adjustable rear iris (aperture) is used to control the amount of light that you get thru the sight. On overcast days it is useful to open the iris up to a larger aperture to allow more light, close it down on a bright day to eliminate glare. It is pretty amazing to adjust the iris and suddenly its like a spotlight is shown on the target.

                        Standard target sizes for aperture sights is 2" bull @ 25yds, 4" bull @ 50yds and 8" bull @ 100yds. These are what the serious competition shooters use. All very scientific, has to do with the human eye looking thru a small hole at a distant circle.
                        OK I'll give this a go next time out at the range.

                        Comment

                        • Barryt
                          Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • 274

                          I uploaded a corrected copy. Thanks for letting me know.

                          -barry

                          Comment

                          • peterabbits
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 1266

                            ran out to the range today at lunch for about 30 minutes of shooting; here's the results. 2 targets @ 25 yds with the 10/22, tech sights, off hand (no sling), 2 targets at 25 yds with the 10/22, tech sights, benched, 1 target at 15 yards with the buckmark, off hand, factory irons (fiber optic front, white dot rear). blazer ammo for all. i shot 2 more targets with the pistol but they were dismal. i think i was rushing to get back to work on time.

                            offhand rifle:



                            benched rifle:



                            offhand pistol:
                            Last edited by peterabbits; 03-13-2013, 9:17 PM.

                            Comment

                            • peterabbits
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 1266

                              Man, just went through the "guns and gear" thread - I am jealous of the setup some of y'all have!i feel woefully inadequate now, me with my 10/22 with tech sights, no swivel studs so no sling, no real way to bench rest it at my indoor range o I'm just supporting with my elbow on the "table"... . What...no pity points? Lol jk. In all seriousness though, I'm glad I found this thread and you guys. In spite of not scoring very highly, I'm actually pretty pleased with the group sizes I got today. Definitely can be improved upon, but still among some of my smaller groups.

                              Comment

                              • peterabbits
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 1266

                                Lol yeah just talkin smack. . I think my groupings make it pretty clear that there was a marked improvement using my elbow vs offhand. And there's still light years of improvement room to go.

                                Originally posted by mrrabbit
                                Elbow on the table is actually not to bad...if a lightweight rifle it can assist with planting the buttstock in the shoulder a little more firmly.

                                It does help to be able to sit down though while doing so...

                                Watched an older Gentleman last week with iron sights CZ (I think) put CCI Mini-Mags in 2" circles at 25 yards using elbows while standing up.

                                Equipment is no good if the shooter's technique sucks.

                                =8-)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1