Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

MP 15-22 optic

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    4NDone0331
    Member
    • Aug 2010
    • 138

    At 100 yards with a .22 LR I prefer a 3-9 scope it really is nice to be able to see small targets clearly. I would recommend getting a 3-9 over a 2-7 mag scope I have both but I like the 3-9 more, just my personal preference though. For a .22 LR I wouldnt recommend spending more than $150-200 either, I got my 3-9x32 Leapers Bug Buster compact from amazon with rings for under $75. Leapers was recommended to me on here by another calgunner and I am happy with it. I got a scope with the mil dot reticle which is nice because you can use the mil dots to both quickly range a target and adjust elevation for targets at different ranges without having to touch the windage and elevation knobs; once you get the scope sighted in that is. I would definitely recommend the mil dot reticle.
    Attached Files
    For those who have fought for freedom...Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    USMC Infantry 06-10 OIFx2 Combat Vet

    Comment

    • #17
      Caribouriver
      CGN/CGSSA Contributor
      • Apr 2010
      • 645

      It's narrowing down. Thanks 4ndone. The internet and forums like this cut through the BS. Anecdotal Empirical information rules. Times are changing. My dad, God rest his soul, sold Yellow Pages advertising. His success at that raised 3 kids. Like the door to door encyclopedia salesman, the yellow pages salesmen are dinosaurs. My point is that some parts of technology bring us together even though we may be miles apart. Thanks to you folks, I won't be disappointed with whatever I get as an optic.

      Comment

      • #18
        4NDone0331
        Member
        • Aug 2010
        • 138

        Some things that I forgot to mention about the Leapers scope that I didnt like were that I had a hard time feeling the clicks on the windage and elevation knobs, im not sure if it is a common problem or if it was just a problem with my scope. It wasnt too big of a deal to me, a little annoying but not a big enough deal to send it back. Also the Illumination feature on the reticle was pretty much useless on my scope during bright sunny days. I would expect it to only be useful in lower light conditions. Honestly though I thought that it was kind of a gimmicky feature in the first place and was not the reason that I bought the scope. Hope this helps, and good luck with your search.
        For those who have fought for freedom...Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
        USMC Infantry 06-10 OIFx2 Combat Vet

        Comment

        • #19
          sholling
          I need a LIFE!!
          CGN Contributor
          • Sep 2007
          • 10360

          Leapers and NcStar make junk, but if you feel buying a disposable $80-85 scope and replacing it with another later is a better bargain than spending $100-150 once it's your money.
          "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

          Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

          Comment

          • #20
            roushstage2
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2011
            • 2782

            Flame suit on: I went shooting with a friend that has a Nikon Prostaff on his rifle, and my Leapers scope was clearer than his. I couldn't clearly see the bullet holes on the target at 100 yards with his, but could with mine. The turret clicks are great on mine as well. I got the full size, standard scope that comes with a lifetime warranty.

            The only problem I've had with mine thus far is I forgot to put some loctite on the mount screws, so the recoil of the .308 kept kicking the scope backwards through the mounts. Amazing I couldn't get a solid zero...doh! The shots were still within a few inches of each other at 100 yards. Before the screws loosened from firing more than a few shots, I had three shots on top of each other at 50 yards.

            Comment

            • #21
              ExtremeX
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 7160

              Red dot or 1-4x scope would be my choice.

              and buy the best you can afford in your price range. Stay away from junk brands.
              ExtremeX

              Comment

              • #22
                damon1272
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2006
                • 4857

                Originally posted by sholling
                I wouldn't put an NcStar on a slingshot. I prefer to buy a scope that's going to last a lifetime and for that rifle the two that I'd look at are the Weaver Classic 4x28 Rimfire or a V3 1-3x20.
                I have 2 15-22 and they both have the 1x3 weaver. great scope for the money. Good glass and a true 1x.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Caribouriver
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 645

                  Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC NK8496. This is a tactical scope 8" long. Fixed 3X. $150. More than I intended to spend but you usually get what you pay for. Is 3X suitable with old eyes @ 100yds?

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    bonesurf
                    Senior Member
                    • Oct 2011
                    • 2086

                    my opinion yes. But there are "old" eyes and "OLD" eyes....personally I'm drifting that way. Red Dot is still ok, but....getting harder. I have the nikon pro staff rim fire 3-9x40 for my 10/22 and the pro staff rifle scope (3-9x40) for my mini and I won't lie....I dial 'em up sometimes....but I really like the nikons personally. The rimfire I think is the same price as the tactical you are looking at....but yeah it's longer and may look goofy
                    Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-for-bonesurf

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      phrogg111
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2012
                      • 750

                      I bought a Simmons 6.5-20x scope for my .223 AR with a match trigger ($165 at local shop). Rifle easily shoots 1/2 inch at 100 yards. My 10/22 has a fixed 4x scope, and with my bull barrel, it shoots about 3" at 100 using federal match ammo.

                      Just depends on how close you want to see.
                      Hunting is a loophole in the 2nd Amendment to the Bill of Rights.

                      There is no privilege to keep and bear arms.

                      Arms are for killing people. All other uses of an arm are illegitimate uses.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        sholling
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Sep 2007
                        • 10360

                        Originally posted by Caribouriver
                        Nikon P-223 3x32 BDC NK8496. This is a tactical scope 8" long. Fixed 3X. $150. More than I intended to spend but you usually get what you pay for. Is 3X suitable with old eyes @ 100yds?
                        For that money I think I'd go with the Weaver V3 1-3x20. It's short and in the right mount will look very tactical. Also keep in mind that the the otherwise fine P-223's BDC will be useless for 22LR. The RV7 2.5-7x28 is a little longer than you're looking for but it's a great scope and is slim and will give you double the magnification. The only downside of the RV7 is that some people don't like the small exit pupil (critical eye position) at 7x. Both are under $150 at Natchez.

                        FWIW this list may help you compare other choices. On that list I'd put BSA at 1-star and (my opinion) the Leapers and NcStar should get a 0-star ranking.


                        I found this pic of a Weaver V3 in a Burris P.E.P.R. ($70-90 @ SWFA) mount on TexasBowhunter. SWFA may even price match the Weaver for you.

                        ***Update*** I just ordered the Weaver V3, lens caps, and QD Burris P.E.P.R mount ($89) for my M&P15-22 and it should be here late this week. SWFA did a price match which allowed me to take advantage of combined shipping. I'll post pics when I have them. I chose it as a low cost practice/training analog for the Burris Xtreme 1-4x24 on my 6.8SPC.
                        Last edited by sholling; 06-04-2012, 2:19 PM.
                        "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                        Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Caribouriver
                          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 645

                          Huge help. Thanks sholling for the links. Thanks to everyone for your help in helping me avoid buyer's regret.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            sholling
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 10360

                            Originally posted by Caribouriver
                            Huge help. Thanks sholling for the links. Thanks to everyone for your help in helping me avoid buyer's regret.
                            Remember to post pics.
                            "Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." --FREDERIC BASTIAT--

                            Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association, the Second Amendment Foundation, and the California Rifle & Pistol Association

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Caribouriver
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 645

                              Will do. I have never posted a pic but will do as soon as I learn how and pick up the rifle. Is there "How To Post a Photo" Calguns link? I was thinking I'd use just irons for a time or two before mounting the scope and get them sighted in. I think the scope puts the rear sight out of commission because there's no room.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                bonesurf
                                Senior Member
                                • Oct 2011
                                • 2086

                                Use see-thru rings
                                Feedback: https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...k-for-bonesurf

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1