Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Rimfire only fans

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Imageview
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2018
    • 1629

    Comment

    • #17
      2761377
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2013
      • 2132

      if a person is stuck there, with no option to buy other than rimfire, I would say probably good enough.

      but as a rational choice and modus vivendi it's a lame idea.

      rimfire ignition is too uncertain for personal protection.

      and the bigger animals, the ones that can provide enough meat to actually survive on, need more ft/lbs.

      a rimfire rifle and pistol are important parts of a complete battery but cannot suffice on their own.
      MAGA

      Comment

      • #18
        Gun760
        Junior Member
        • Apr 2022
        • 24

        I just picked up a marlin model 70 any one have any ammo in the vista or oceanside area

        Comment

        • #19
          Jeepergeo
          Veteran Member
          • Feb 2012
          • 3507

          Rimfires are the perfect first guns for first time owners and/or first time shooters. A lot can be learned shooting rimfire. And rimfire is an excellent foundation for building a larger and more varied stable of firearms.
          Benefactor Life Member, National Rifle Association
          Life Member, California Rifle and Pistol Association

          Comment

          • #20
            jyo
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2008
            • 5320

            Rimfires are great---both long and short---don't forget 22 Mag, a true critter gun in Texas. But, for SD, something more powerful is called for... Still in SD situations, 22s have been used with some success (nobody wants to be shot even with a 22!)...
            I ALWAYS start new shooters off with a 22 rifle---ALWAYS!

            Comment

            • #21
              Jimi Jah
              I need a LIFE!!
              • Jan 2014
              • 19285

              Sitting under a large pine in the Inyo National forest shooting. 22 bulleyes at 100 yards is a great way to spend a quiet morning. And it's cheap at 4 cents a round.

              Comment

              • #22
                bigbossman
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Dec 2012
                • 11280

                Some of my most cherished memories of youth are being on the line in Boy Scouts, being instructed on 4-position shooting with a .22. I've been shooting, competing, and collecting ever since.

                I used to collect .22's, and specialized in "house brand" rifles. The collection got too unwieldy so I sold most of them off, but I still have 10 or so in the safe - mostly target/competition rifles.

                .22 is my first love, and I always have one close to hand when I'm out shooting.
                Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                Comment

                • #23
                  Teachu2
                  Senior Member
                  • Mar 2012
                  • 835

                  About half of my collection is rimfire, and over half of my ammo stash is MiniMags. I have .22lr conversions for four of my centerfire pistols. OTOH, I sold both of my rimfire revolvers and both of my S&W 15/22s, and I don't have a rimfire among the 8 pistols on my CCW permit.
                  Rimfires are great for training, practicing, varmint control, and recreation. For two-legged varmints, I prefer more punch.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Dutch3
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Oct 2010
                    • 14181

                    Originally posted by bigbossman
                    Some of my most cherished memories of youth are being on the line in Boy Scouts, being instructed on 4-position shooting with a .22. I've been shooting, competing, and collecting ever since.

                    I used to collect .22's, and specialized in "house brand" rifles. The collection got too unwieldy so I sold most of them off, but I still have 10 or so in the safe - mostly target/competition rifles.

                    .22 is my first love, and I always have one close to hand when I'm out shooting.
                    My first rifle when I was a kid (other than a BB gun) was a Winchester model 67. It was used and abused when I got, but I loved that thing. Single shot bolt action, .22 short, long and long rifle.

                    As I got older and interested more in girls and cars, I traded that rifle away for something I can't even remember now.

                    Several years ago, I saw a beat up Model 67 at the LGS. I paid way too much for it, but I will never let it go.
                    Just taking up space in (what is no longer) the second-worst small town in California.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      44fred
                      Senior Member
                      • Sep 2011
                      • 2399

                      OP
                      So far your friend is the only.
                      "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."

                      "My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government."

                      "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
                      -- Thomas Jefferson

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        beerman
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 5201

                        At one time before I cleared the herd,I had more firearms in 22 LR than any other caliber... Come to think of it I still have 4..still more than the others.They are just fun.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Garv
                          RSG Minion, Senior
                          CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                          • Apr 2014
                          • 9075

                          Almost half of mine are .22, for plinking fun and not expensive.

                          SR-22 and Single Ten are fun handguns to shoot.
                          M&P 15-22 also a lot of fun.
                          Originally posted by Kestryll:
                          It never fails to amuse me how people get outraged but fail to tell the whole story in their rants....

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            bigbossman
                            I need a LIFE!!
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 11280

                            Originally posted by Dutch3
                            My first rifle when I was a kid (other than a BB gun) was a Winchester model 67. It was used and abused when I got, but I loved that thing. Single shot bolt action, .22 short, long and long rifle.

                            As I got older and interested more in girls and cars, I traded that rifle away for something I can't even remember now.

                            Several years ago, I saw a beat up Model 67 at the LGS. I paid way too much for it, but I will never let it go.
                            When I was 14, my father bought me a used Winchester Model 72 from a work buddy. Dad was a city kid, and knew nothing about guns or rifles. But, he knew that I was in The Scouts, and that I wanted a rifle of my very own. Bolt action, tube magazine, 4x Weaver scope. I'm 65 now, and still have that rifle. Dad been gone now for a long while, and I'll never, ever sell it.

                            We used to up by Roketdyne in the SIMI hills to shoot it, and would stop at various bars to dumpster dive for cans on the way. Waaaaay too many good memories wrapped up in that $35 rifle.
                            Always looking for vintage Winchester and Marlin lever action rifles. Looking to sell? Know of one for sale? Drop me a line!

                            "Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              newbie1234
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2016
                              • 3131

                              I had both rimfire and centerfire. I shoot better with rimfire so I build up what I shoot best.
                              Years ago, when the price of the centerfire ammo was not an issue (people bought centerfire ammo by K) I still shoot rimfire together with centerfire.
                              Last edited by newbie1234; 08-23-2022, 6:24 PM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Jwalt
                                Senior Member
                                • Jul 2017
                                • 551

                                Most of my rimfires, in proper working order, give me maybe one FTF per 100. I remember as a kid it was more like 1 in 20. I either take better care of my firearms or they just make rimfire cartridges to a higher standard than they did mumble mumble decades ago.

                                A .22 pistol would beat hucking rocks but it would never be my go-to for self defense if I had options.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1