Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Buying .22 ammo, sans rifle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    michaelthepsycho
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2016
    • 502

    I'd go whatever your budget is split evenly between CCI, Federal, and Aguila; all high velocity for plinking. Winchester (Olin) has always had a higher rate of malfunction for me.

    For precision stuff, Eley, SK, Wolf Gold, Lapua. Again, diversify amongst brands. But, these are spendy and will rival some centerfire cartridges in cost.
    MARKETPLACE feedback

    Comment

    • #17
      WMG
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2016
      • 1159

      Federal and CCI
      If you start thinking like a Free Man
      You'll begin to feel like a Free Man
      And pretty soon you'll begin acting like a Free Man

      Comment

      • #18
        DCH
        Member
        • Jan 2017
        • 151

        Comment

        • #19
          RawHP
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 633

          Originally posted by DCH
          Will be making my 1st bulk ammo buy here soon
          Given that we're more than a week into December, it could be your first and last

          Comment

          • #20
            BigFatGuy
            Veteran Member
            • Oct 2010
            • 3176

            in my two 10/22's, my Ruger Mark III, and my GSG .22 1911, I've had good results pretty much across the board with:

            Aguila
            CCI
            Armscor

            In all cases, I prefer to buy FMJ ammo (as opposed to bare lead), and I prefer to buy higher-velocity rounds. I find .22lr guns just tend to work better when you beat them up a bit.

            My #1 ammo for reliability is CCI's Tactical, which are basically minimags intended for use in .22lr AR rifles. I don't think I've ever had one give me any problem.

            Of note: Aguila ammo's naming convention. Perhaps it's spanish-to-english translation, but their standard velocity round is called (if I remember right) Aguila Super-Mega-Ultra, and their high velocity round is called Aguila Awesome-Mega-poop-your-pants or something.

            Turner's is having a sale on Golden Bullets, lots of websites have tons of .22 in stock right now.

            Buy as much as you can to make your life easier in the coming years.
            NRA Patron Member

            I've written up my ongoing adventures as I learn to hunt.

            Yes, you CAN fit a case of shotgun shells into a .50cal ammo can.

            I think i found an optimal solution for ammo can labeling.


            I made this target for the NRA's Marksman pistol test. I think it's a lot better than the paper plate they suggest.

            Comment

            • #21
              Calif Hunter
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • 3323

              Good price on Aguila Super Extra (standard velocity) $24 a brick Other brands and .22 Mag and .17 also on sale.

              Comment

              • #22
                musketjon
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 1746

                CCI standard velocity and Remington blue label standard velocity are my go to brands for my US Springfield M1922M1.
                Jon

                Comment

                • #23
                  RawHP
                  Senior Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • 633

                  Originally posted by musketjon
                  CCI standard velocity and Remington blue label standard velocity are my go to brands for my US Springfield M1922M1.
                  Jon
                  Love that rifle!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Bastard
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 2209

                    I would just buy anything that you could get your hands on at a decent price...

                    as far as not having the rifle & and not owning one in over 50 years.... not knowing you & not looking into your safe but judging the "old Iver Johnson snubbie revolver" and your chosen avatar one might assume that you won't be all the happy with any thing new, so might I suggest you look at some older bolt action or lever actions, that will eat anything - look at the Marlin 39a & ignore the price tag

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      BroncoBob
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Mar 2008
                      • 6019

                      I've put in several orders with Midsouth Shooters just to top off my rimfire inventory. Great prices on 17 HMR and Aguila 22 LR.
                      sigpic
                      NRA MEMBER

                      Originally Posted by ar15barrels
                      Unscrew the lid. There is a foil seal there.
                      Pull the seal off and screw the lid back on.
                      Then you can squeeze the mustard and it will come out of the bottle..

                      Liberals are termites eating at the foundation of our constitution.
                      Michael Reagan

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Kyle1886
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2009
                        • 4280

                        Originally posted by Bastard
                        I would just buy anything that you could get your hands on at a decent price...

                        as far as not having the rifle & and not owning one in over 50 years.... not knowing you & not looking into your safe but judging the "old Iver Johnson snubbie revolver" and your chosen avatar one might assume that you won't be all the happy with any thing new, so might I suggest you look at some older bolt action or lever actions, that will eat anything - look at the Marlin 39a & ignore the price tag
                        I'm a form follows function type. New and pretty may have a place, but for me function and reliability come first, and not just in firearms. (Unfortunately some manufacturers of appliances and most other consumables are not on board with that philosophy in today's world).

                        Thank for the M-39 suggestion.

                        Respectfully
                        Kyle
                        Here's to Calguns.net, past, present, and the future 🍸🍸​🍷🍻 🍹
                        iTrader = +3, %100, Location: N. San Diego Co
                        https://www.calguns.net/forum/market...6#post54001874
                        _________+__________

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          oilcanhenry
                          Member
                          • Oct 2013
                          • 442

                          Originally posted by musketjon
                          CCI standard velocity and Remington blue label standard velocity are my go to brands for my US Springfield M1922M1.
                          Jon
                          I wouldn't touch any .22 Rimfire ammo made by Remington. Have had nothing but issues with that brand, but I am NOT speaking of Remington center-fire ammo, which works fine.

                          Me? I love the .22LR Winchester's, CCI, Federal and of course the cheap stuff like Blazers and Wildcats because, unlike the OP, I put a lot of .22LR downrange.

                          Ammoseek, ammograb and and ammospy are your friends!!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            BigFatGuy
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2010
                            • 3176

                            have to say, I agree with oilcanhenry... I'm regretting that last purchase of a case of Golden Bullets.

                            They are the first round I've ever had jam into my 10/22 so tightly I had to bang it out with a hammer...
                            NRA Patron Member

                            I've written up my ongoing adventures as I learn to hunt.

                            Yes, you CAN fit a case of shotgun shells into a .50cal ammo can.

                            I think i found an optimal solution for ammo can labeling.


                            I made this target for the NRA's Marksman pistol test. I think it's a lot better than the paper plate they suggest.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              lavey29
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2012
                              • 1126

                              It is a great time to buy .22 ammo also. Saw ads online for as low as .038 a round with free shipping. Don't know why they are charging out of state tax though. I just picked up another 1K rounds of Blazer 40 gr from Cabellas for 53.00 and free shipping.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                remusrm
                                Member
                                • Jan 2013
                                • 472

                                Originally posted by Kyle1886
                                I have not owned a .22 rifle since the late 50's or early 60's. I still don't own one.

                                I have at present enough ammo for the long gun I have and the pistols.

                                For my last ammo purchase before years end, I think some .22 LR might be prudent. I know, cart before the horse, but in GENERAL what brand / grain /etc of .22 ammo shoots fairly reliably in the most popular rifles?

                                CCI, Ely, Federal or any of the brands.

                                (I know rifles can be finicky, and not all ammo is equal).

                                What .22 ammo would you buy sans rifle?

                                Thank you
                                Kyle
                                Just dont get winchester, those are the cheapest and least reliable I have ever shot. Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet did fine.
                                Last edited by remusrm; 12-13-2017, 2:01 PM. Reason: iam an idiot

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1