Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Ruger Single Ten w/Shorter Barrel

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    tmh1
    Kitchen Operator
    CGN Contributor
    • Nov 2012
    • 1903

    Well, since this thread was re-opened, I guess I'll conclude the story of my locked-up Single Ten.

    In a nutshell, I was disappointed that my brand new gun was delivered F'd up, but Ruger's legendary customer service after the sale was, well, legendary.

    Although the gun was locked up upon receipt by my FFL, I chose to accept it and start the paperwork since it was the last new one I could find in that configuration.

    I called Ruger to attempt to set up the RMA for when I could pick up the gun in 10 days. While courteous and friendly, the Ruger rep on the phone really seemed to prefer (mandate?) getting the gun returned from the FFL instead of from me when I picked it up. Maybe it is a CA thing where they just prefer to ship to an FFL instead of a private party?

    I really didn't have an issue with this as my FFL is very accommodating to me (I have given him plenty of business ) But while I had Ruger on the phone I also asked them about some issues with cylinder over-rotation I was having on a pair of SASS New Vaqueros. Although I am not the original owner of these guns, Ruger told me to have my FFL coordinate the return of the NV's along with the Single Ten.

    So I put together a box with padding materials and took it with the NVs over to my FFL and had him coordinate the return. He specified that Ruger's customer service was easy to get through to, and very efficient and accommodating. RMAs were issued for all three guns, and they were shipped the next day to Ruger on Ruger's dime. A little less than a week later my FFL got notification from Ruger that the guns had been received.

    The Single Ten was repaired without any further comments by Ruger to my FFL. On the sheet enclosed with the returned gun it specified that the pawl had been replaced. My FFL received it 2 days after my 10 day waiting period was up, so the incorrectly manufactured gun only "cost me" 2 days of shooting time. I can live with that.

    Someone different dealt with the NVs, and he gave regular progress updates via email to my FFL. Turns out that the notches in the cylinder were cut "just too shallow per the specification", and Ruger replaced and fitted brand new cylinders on both guns. They were received by my FFL 2-3 days after the Single Ten, so turnaround time was +/- 2 weeks. They both function flawlessly now.

    So in the end I sure would have preferred that the guns coming from Ruger these days were of the same quality level as older Rugers. But mine were not, and I had to utilize Ruger's customer service. Not optimal, but Ruger definitely took care of things with this customer, at only the cost of a little time without the guns and a small inconvenience to ship them off. This is something which I choose that I can live with so I will continue to purchase the Rugers which interest me, regardless of when they were manufactured. Heck, my first 2 guns were Rugers (10/22 and Mk II Target). I have had those 2 guns for over 35 years now and they still give me joy when I shoot them.
    sigpic
    "Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

    Comment

    • #32
      ucladude101
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2015
      • 741

      Originally posted by TKM
      Extremely unlikely. Is it a Rohm?


      Not a rohm I am out of town but it started with an H


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment

      • #33
        cnj
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2004
        • 1275

        Originally posted by tmh1
        Well, since this thread was re-opened, I guess I'll conclude the story of my locked-up Single Ten.

        In a nutshell, I was disappointed that my brand new gun was delivered F'd up, but Ruger's legendary customer service after the sale was, well, legendary.

        Although the gun was locked up upon receipt by my FFL, I chose to accept it and start the paperwork since it was the last new one I could find in that configuration.

        I called Ruger to attempt to set up the RMA for when I could pick up the gun in 10 days. While courteous and friendly, the Ruger rep on the phone really seemed to prefer (mandate?) getting the gun returned from the FFL instead of from me when I picked it up. Maybe it is a CA thing where they just prefer to ship to an FFL instead of a private party?

        I really didn't have an issue with this as my FFL is very accommodating to me (I have given him plenty of business ) But while I had Ruger on the phone I also asked them about some issues with cylinder over-rotation I was having on a pair of SASS New Vaqueros. Although I am not the original owner of these guns, Ruger told me to have my FFL coordinate the return of the NV's along with the Single Ten.

        So I put together a box with padding materials and took it with the NVs over to my FFL and had him coordinate the return. He specified that Ruger's customer service was easy to get through to, and very efficient and accommodating. RMAs were issued for all three guns, and they were shipped the next day to Ruger on Ruger's dime. A little less than a week later my FFL got notification from Ruger that the guns had been received.

        The Single Ten was repaired without any further comments by Ruger to my FFL. On the sheet enclosed with the returned gun it specified that the pawl had been replaced. My FFL received it 2 days after my 10 day waiting period was up, so the incorrectly manufactured gun only "cost me" 2 days of shooting time. I can live with that.

        Someone different dealt with the NVs, and he gave regular progress updates via email to my FFL. Turns out that the notches in the cylinder were cut "just too shallow per the specification", and Ruger replaced and fitted brand new cylinders on both guns. They were received by my FFL 2-3 days after the Single Ten, so turnaround time was +/- 2 weeks. They both function flawlessly now.

        So in the end I sure would have preferred that the guns coming from Ruger these days were of the same quality level as older Rugers. But mine were not, and I had to utilize Ruger's customer service. Not optimal, but Ruger definitely took care of things with this customer, at only the cost of a little time without the guns and a small inconvenience to ship them off. This is something which I choose that I can live with so I will continue to purchase the Rugers which interest me, regardless of when they were manufactured. Heck, my first 2 guns were Rugers (10/22 and Mk II Target). I have had those 2 guns for over 35 years now and they still give me joy when I shoot them.
        Glad to hear all was resolved to your satisfaction.
        "Bye Felicia!" - Said by me, as I looked at Kalfornia in my rearview for the last time, 9/22/17.
        NRA member
        My experience is from the '80's and '90's, when mullets ruled the world!
        If azzholes could fly, this place would be an airport!
        I support gun control.....if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it!
        You go ahead and give peace a chance. I'll cover you if it doesn't work out!

        Comment

        • #34
          Fishslayer
          In Memoriam
          • Jan 2010
          • 13035

          Oh hey now!

          Lipsey's Bearcat Shopkeeper.

          "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
          You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
          You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


          Originally Posted by JackRydden224
          I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
          Originally posted by redcliff
          A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

          Comment

          • #35
            jazman
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2008
            • 2140

            Always good to hear about good customer service, and I'm glad to see Ruger still has it.
            Originally posted by Kestryll
            You're boned.
            _________________________________

            If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.

            Comment

            Working...
            UA-8071174-1