Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Scope mount worth the dough???

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    KillZone45
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 2570

    Originally posted by crufflers
    Now that's a hefty looking mount. I bet the price of that Spuhr makes a $250 Bobro look like a $30 Chinese knock-off.
    Looks gnarly but is super light! In the beginning I was going to go with a cheaper mount till I was schooled by some 'hide members, they are well worth it. I know not everyone can include a spuhr mount in their budget but if you can swing it I'll tell you that you won't be disappointed. If not their are other quality mounts out there.
    Nikita Khrushchev said"We can't expect the American People to jump from Capitalism to Communism, but we can assist their elected leaders in giving them small doses of Socialism, until they awaken one day to find that they have Communism. "

    Comment

    • #47
      crufflers
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2011
      • 12723

      Originally posted by Sir Toast
      For me, it depends on the use. The Burris/Vortex mounts work really well and you can get them for $85. If I were going into combat, I'd probably beef it up. Because I'm not going into combat, I'll stick with Vortex, a good quality mount. If I break it, which I highly doubt I will, I'll send it back to Vortex for a new one. Vortex will be impressed I was able to break their mount.
      I can see how it can be a confusing and overlooked detail of an optics system especially on AR's. I always assumed that QD mounts you pay a lot more for so they are rock solid but a fixed mount can be had a lot cheaper and you have more bargain options because they just bolt-on tight. I've seen cheap QD mechanisms and steer clear. I never really gave too much thought to machining tolerance and quality on AR's that are mostly 16" barrels and a 5.56 caliber at least mine are. I don't shoot match grade ammo out of them, but just expect them to be as accurate as the platform allows, which is pretty damn accurate. My bolt-gun just has a Leupold base and rings. I guess I need to step up my game, I just didn't see it mattering the way I shoot AR's. We used to shoot 500 yards with A2 sights (rarely) and 4x fixed power scopes - not precise enough to be measuring groups of course, just hitting tractor discs or empty propane tanks. 4x on a carry handle was good enough to hit clays on a berm at 200 yards pretty fast. Really I'd like to see more robust bolt gun setups that are low mounts. AR's I never really considered spending $400 on a base and rings for, or even $200... but those Bobros have my "order" finger itching and thinking about how nice a QD I could trust would be.

      Comment

      • #48
        FMJBT
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2007
        • 4888

        Originally posted by Packy14
        AD is definitely not the best. Stick with Larue or Bobro (my preference personally). Aero makes nice lightweight mounts if weight is your number one factor (I haven't seen a qd option from them).
        I would actually rate the ADM mounts higher than Larue. If you push the mount forward into the lugs as you tighten the locking levers, the ADM is very repeatable and doesn't damage the rail on the rifle. The steel locking cams of the Larue mounts rotate directly against the softer aluminum of the upper receiver rail and with repeated use can wear away material from the mounting surface. A.R.M.S. QD mounts use a similar setup, but have a spring steel lash pad between the locking cam and the receiver.

        Agreed about the Bobro mounts though. In that price range, they are definitely a step up from mounts like the ADM and Larue in terms of repeatability.
        U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

        Comment

        • #49
          Packy14
          Calguns Addict
          • Jul 2008
          • 5312

          Originally posted by FMJBT
          I would actually rate the ADM mounts higher than Larue. If you push the mount forward into the lugs as you tighten the locking levers, the ADM is very repeatable and doesn't damage the rail on the rifle. The steel locking cams of the Larue mounts rotate directly against the softer aluminum of the upper receiver rail and with repeated use can wear away material from the mounting surface. A.R.M.S. QD mounts use a similar setup, but have a spring steel lash pad between the locking cam and the receiver.

          Agreed about the Bobro mounts though. In that price range, they are definitely a step up from mounts like the ADM and Larue in terms of repeatability.
          Do the ADM mounts mar the rail? I have never been impressed by Larue for that reason as well as others.
          NRA Lifetime Member

          1A-2A = -1A

          Comment

          • #50
            FMJBT
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2007
            • 4888

            Originally posted by Packy14
            Do the ADM mounts mar the rail? I have never been impressed by Larue for that reason as well as others.
            The ADM mounts will eventually make a shiny spot on the anodizing of the upper from contact pressure, but their clamping mechanism doesn't actually slide against the rail surface like the Larue design. I've never seen an ADM mount wear through the anodizing even with years of continuous on/off mounting. The Larue mounts are definitely high quality parts in terms of fit and finish, but the design itself has some flaws.
            U.S. Navy (Retired) 1994-2015

            Comment

            • #51
              Mute
              Calguns Addict
              • Oct 2005
              • 8590

              The only QD mount I trust not to mar my rails are the ones made by Bobro.
              NRA Benefactor Life Member
              NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Personal Protection In The Home, Personal Protection Outside The Home Instructor, CA DOJ Certified CCW Instructor, RSO


              American Marksman Training Group
              Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page

              Comment

              • #52
                Packy14
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 5312

                Originally posted by Mute
                The only QD mount I trust not to mar my rails are the ones made by Bobro.


                Yea I've never had one jack up my rail.
                NRA Lifetime Member

                1A-2A = -1A

                Comment

                Working...
                UA-8071174-1