Ok thanks Datamancer. One of my mosins is having that Stick Bolt Syndrome so I want to clean the inside of the bolt and hopefully that will help it out.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
Mosin Kaboom
Collapse
X
-
-General George S. Patton Jr.
"In my opinion, the M1 Rifle is the greatest battle implement ever devised."
http://m1family.com
M1 Carbine Dedicated forum. -
^^^I had a mosin like this. HOWEVER, it was because I was a dumb kid (my dad bought the rifle for me) and my original bolt was VERY hard to operate, so I went back to big 5 and swapped the bolt with another Mosin from another country IIRC.This.
Could be a weak sear, too. I've got an M44 with a very weak sear that Idon'twon't shoot. If you slam the bolt forward it will release the striker every time. If you are gentle with the bolt, it'll hold ... most of the time. Haven't gotten around to replacing the sear yet.
The trigger pull was much lighter and the bolt operated quite smoothly but it fricken "let go" as I was closing the bolt and it fired. Good thing my dad returned the rifle!PM or Email me if you have questions: Jpach89@gmail.com
Check out my LMT .308 AR
Originally posted by kottonI have to try that method of attaching the front of a sling to the gun via pubic hair.Originally posted by bomb_on_busBest part of buying that stock is it comes with its own complimentary jar of anal lube! There were several flavors to choose from, regular, hot cinnamon, or bacon. Im a man of danger so I chose Hot cinnamon to use with my bump fire buttstock.Comment
-
...and here i was berating myself for not holding out to get a hex mosin. meanwhile, my 91/30 has endured hundreds of rounds without trouble. nah, just kidding, i'm glad to hear everybody with these tales lived to tell. this is why i don't care about special models/years/markings/etc....because i may not have the most elite or pretty rifles, but they all work and none has blown up on me so far. keep in mind i have shot my own handloads in a good portion of these rifles as well. whenever i add a new one to the paddock, i tie it to a tire and pull the trigger with a string for the first 5-10 rds. this is a good way not to frag yourself with an unknown, explosive rifle. just my $.02Comment
-
Saw a picture awhile back of a Swedish 1896 mauser with a failed receiver. It can happen with any surplus rifle considering how many were made and the service they have seen over the decades.Comment
-
Newbie looking for a Mosin/nagant
Glad to hear no one was hurt bad.
I am currently looking for a mosin/nagant.
I was wondering if the hex receiver is the strongest.
I am looking for the same rifle, but now I am nervous.
I was going to buy 2, one for me and one for my 14 year old, to have competitions.
Any reply would be helpful.Comment
-
There's no real difference in receiver strength of round vs. hex. Out of the millions of mosins built, I've seen a grand total of two failed receivers, and on one the guy was intentionally trying to blow it up. The chances of a receiver failure are very, very small. I would't worry about it as long as there are no cracks.Glad to hear no one was hurt bad.
I am currently looking for a mosin/nagant.
I was wondering if the hex receiver is the strongest.
I am looking for the same rifle, but now I am nervous.
I was going to buy 2, one for me and one for my 14 year old, to have competitions.
Any reply would be helpful.Originally posted by GoodEyeSniperMy neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.
Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.Originally posted by ChopperXI am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?Originally posted by Jeff LDon't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.Comment
-
It is, more meat than a round receiver, and they were not made in a hurry during war years.I was wondering if the hex receiver is the strongest.
That one had other issues, it was one out of millions made, and even though it broke completely in half, it still didn't grenade......that tells you something.Comment
-
Tsopka, there are millions of Mosins out there and only a handful of problems reported. From what I have read there is no significant difference between a hex and round receiver. What you want to do is make sure the serial number stamped into the bolt matches the receiver. Headspace should not be an issue if they match.
You do want to do LOTS of research on the Mosin to see how to clean off the cosmoline and how to disassemble the bolt to remove cosmoline and then to make sure the firing pin height is adjusted correctly. Youtube is your friend.
I also recommend picking up a recoil pad. Walmart sells a Winchester limbsaver (size small) for about $20, money well spent.
Good luck and enjoy, they are addictive fun, I have 3 - 91/30's an M38, 3 - M44's and should be picking up 2 - M39's this week.Comment
-
Newbie looking for a Mosin/nagant
I appreciate the input, I have decided to continue looking.
I am going to continue looking for a hex receiver ex sniper, 2 of them.
The recoil pad is a great idea, did not think of it.
Thanks again you guys are great!Comment
-
Wow, Now we all understand why eye protection is mandatory on the firing line.
Glad things turned out with everyone safe. -gIf ever time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
-Samuel AdamsComment
-
I am scratching my head on this.
I went to the guys blog and checked out the pictures. I will admit at first I didn't recognize the differences from the old crack and new crack until someone mentioned there was an old crack plus how you could see the new crack.
The way the receiver cracked, was there no way, to find a crack like that visually? I know that the crack had bluing in it, but shouldn't that in itself made some sort of deformed marking on the receiver?
I am not a metallurgist or a machine shop person sorry for the newb questions on metallurgy.

I have an SVT 40 and no you can't have it
Comment
-
Take a look at the last photo. There's a substantial crack in the stock right below the broken piece. That barrel may have been flexing in there for some time.Rule #1 - The Boss Is Always Right
Rule #2 - In The Event The Boss Is Wrong, Refer To Rule #1Comment
-
Yeah the bright, shiny part of the crack is the new damage. The rest of the crack shows dark surface tarnish which has obviously been there a while.I am scratching my head on this.
I went to the guys blog and checked out the pictures. I will admit at first I didn't recognize the differences from the old crack and new crack until someone mentioned there was an old crack plus how you could see the new crack.
The way the receiver cracked, was there no way, to find a crack like that visually? I know that the crack had bluing in it, but shouldn't that in itself made some sort of deformed marking on the receiver?
I am not a metallurgist or a machine shop person sorry for the newb questions on metallurgy.
There's a very good chance that the crack was visible from the outside, especially because the outer edges of the crack would have started to pit like the rest of the dark portion of the crack. The owner probably just didn't inspect it very well.
I chalk this one up to Operator Error.
-~D~-WTB- hopelessly Bubba'ed cheap rifles for artful re-Bubbafication.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,559
Posts: 25,149,169
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 28574 users online. 128 members and 28446 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment