Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First World C&R Quandary...Input Requested..

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    mosinnagantm9130
    Calguns Addict
    • May 2009
    • 8783

    Originally posted by I Swan
    8x56r rifles aren't that cheap. But either go that route or get an inexpensive carbine. Prvi maes the ammo so I'd just use that and keep that stuff as a collectible.
    This^^
    Originally posted by GoodEyeSniper
    My neighbors think I'm a construction worker named Bruce.

    Little do they know that's just my stripper outfit and name.
    Originally posted by ChopperX
    I am currently cleaning it and I noticed when I squeeze the snake this white paste like substance comes out. What the heck is this crap?
    Originally posted by Jeff L
    Don't D&T a virgin milsurp rifle. You'll burn in collector hell.

    Comment

    • #17
      pitfighter
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2009
      • 3152

      First world answer, sadly only doable in any other state than CA:

      Buy a parts-hit for a ZB39 - build it up as a semi-auto only.
      Fill two mags and go have fun.
      It is a good snap-cracker of a round.

      Truly odd firearms channel on Youtube:
      Pitfighter.
      CA/AZ

      Comment

      • #18
        Bobby Ricigliano
        Mit Gott und Mauser
        CGN Contributor
        • Feb 2011
        • 17439

        Pit fighter: What is your opinion on the nazi marked M95's? They seem legit but a lot of people online say they are fakes.

        A nicely Waffened M95 at a decent price would be tempting

        Comment

        • #19
          Capybara
          CGSSA Coordinator
          CGN Contributor
          • Feb 2012
          • 15665

          You don't reload. Until you do, I would sell the ammo and forget it. No use buying something you can't obtain or make ammo for.
          NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

          sigpic

          Comment

          • #20
            I Swan
            Calguns Addict
            • Sep 2010
            • 8770

            Originally posted by Capybara
            You don't reload. Until you do, I would sell the ammo and forget it. No use buying something you can't obtain or make ammo for.
            As previously mentioned Prvi makes ammo unless it has been recently discontinued. Many people own guns in difficult to obtain chamberings. I don't need to frequently fire all my guns and it would be impossible for me to do so. A few types I have avoided though due to ammo availability like Siamese Mausers.

            Comment

            • #21
              j-shot
              Senior Member
              • Jan 2014
              • 1646

              Keep the ammo as a novelty.

              The price of those rifles (and I'm a C&R type) would have me looking elsewhere.
              Originally posted by Citadelgrad87
              ...what we have here is a hillary panty sniffer...
              Originally posted by Appleseed
              A Rifleman understands that owning and mastering a rifle is part of his heritage as an American.
              Originally posted by ProShooter
              No man, butt rape is happening like, all of the time in prison. It's basically just one huge orgy.

              Comment

              • #22
                pitfighter
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 3152

                I wouldn't shoot the wartime ammo - it's a fun collectable and serves no purpose being shot -

                As to German Eagle/Swastika proofs on an M95 - I believe they are all fakes.
                I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one -
                The rifles were no longer being made in 1938 - which is when the Germans took control of the Austrian factories.
                They were proofed at manufacture - not retro proofed.
                If the rifle was later fixed by an artificer at a depot level for any reason, it would/might be stamped, but not with a waffen stamped proof.

                Fake swastika = better sales price.
                Pitfighter.
                CA/AZ

                Comment

                • #23
                  ccandgc
                  Senior Member
                  • Jun 2008
                  • 2142

                  Don't have the rifle to go with the ammo? Get one for your collection. and save that ammo. Find some commercial stuff.
                  -Chad

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Sauermonkey
                    Member
                    • Feb 2014
                    • 327

                    Odd caliber odd gun sell or just keep ammo for a curiosity

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      SVT-40
                      I need a LIFE!!
                      • Jan 2008
                      • 12907

                      Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                      Pit fighter: What is your opinion on the nazi marked M95's? They seem legit but a lot of people online say they are fakes.

                      A nicely Waffened M95 at a decent price would be tempting
                      Fake.....

                      I never really like any of the 95's... I've owned a few, but sold them all...

                      For some reason they have no appeal to me.

                      I would sell the ammo, and buy another 8mm Mauser variant.
                      Poke'm with a stick!


                      Originally posted by fiddletown
                      What you believe and what is true in real life in the real world aren't necessarily the same thing. And what you believe doesn't change what is true in real life in the real world.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Capybara
                        CGSSA Coordinator
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Feb 2012
                        • 15665

                        Originally posted by I Swan
                        As previously mentioned Prvi makes ammo unless it has been recently discontinued. Many people own guns in difficult to obtain chamberings. I don't need to frequently fire all my guns and it would be impossible for me to do so. A few types I have avoided though due to ammo availability like Siamese Mausers.
                        Calibers like this are not available all of the time from Prvi, they do runs, sometimes it is in stock for a while, sometimes not. I think Bobby is the type who actually likes to go out and shoot his rifles in the desert so it could be frustrating to have one in a caliber he can't find ammo for.
                        NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, Shotgun Instructor and Range Safety Officer

                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Bobby Ricigliano
                          Mit Gott und Mauser
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Feb 2011
                          • 17439

                          Originally posted by pitfighter
                          I wouldn't shoot the wartime ammo - it's a fun collectable and serves no purpose being shot -

                          As to German Eagle/Swastika proofs on an M95 - I believe they are all fakes.
                          I certainly wouldn't pay extra for one -
                          The rifles were no longer being made in 1938 - which is when the Germans took control of the Austrian factories.
                          They were proofed at manufacture - not retro proofed.
                          If the rifle was later fixed by an artificer at a depot level for any reason, it would/might be stamped, but not with a waffen stamped proof.

                          Fake swastika = better sales price.

                          Originally posted by SVT-40
                          Fake.....

                          I never really like any of the 95's... I've owned a few, but sold them all...

                          For some reason they have no appeal to me.

                          I would sell the ammo, and buy another 8mm Mauser variant.
                          I appreciate that guys. There is an M95 for sale right now in the CG marketplace that has really crisp waffenamts on the stock and receiver. The seller alludes to the fact that the doesn't know if genuine which is refreshing honesty. Everything I've read on other boards comes to the same conclusion as you guys = FAKE.

                          As always, the expertise in the Calguns braintrust is awesome. If I can find a straight pull M95 for $150 or so I might buy it just for S&G...otherwise I'll sell the ammo I have which is mostly still in the German boxes with the clips.

                          After spending so much time with AR's and soft shooting SKS's, the shoulder punching bolt guns are almost all shot sparingly. I even wussified my main Mauser and Mosin shooters with slip on recoil pads (Oh.. the horror!)

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            nick
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • Aug 2008
                            • 19152

                            Originally posted by I Swan
                            As previously mentioned Prvi makes ammo unless it has been recently discontinued. Many people own guns in difficult to obtain chamberings. I don't need to frequently fire all my guns and it would be impossible for me to do so. A few types I have avoided though due to ammo availability like Siamese Mausers.
                            Hornady makes (or used to make) them as well.
                            DiaHero Foundation - helping people manage diabetes. Sending diabetes supplies to Ukraine now, any help is appreciated.

                            DDR AK furniture and Norinco M14 parts kit: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1756292
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              I Swan
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 8770

                              I think Hornady pretty much gave up on the weird older military calibers. It was nice when they were making stuff like 455 Webley.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                emcon5
                                Veteran Member
                                • Sep 2009
                                • 3347

                                Originally posted by I Swan
                                I think Hornady pretty much gave up on the weird older military calibers. It was nice when they were making stuff like 455 Webley.
                                Did they actually make the old military stuff? I think I remember reading they contracted it out, either to PPU or S&B.

                                M95 is not my favorite, but an interesting rifle, if for no other reason than the fact it probably served in both World Wars. Mine was reworked to a 1895/30 Stutzen by Austria and got a new barrel in 1935, but has the original carbine sight calibrated to 2400 Schritt ("steps").







                                Pretty sure the stock got refinished by a previous owner at some point.

                                I picked it up at Cabela's for $189.

                                I am not particularly recoil sensitive, but yeah, the carbine gives a good thump when you shoot it.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1