I like the option. Currently have a thread protector on but also have a MB in its case just because.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
...
Collapse
X
-
.308 recoil isn't painful, sure. But, a muzzle brake absolutely can help functionality of the rifle.
I have one on my .308 and can spot impacts at 100 yards because it recoils so gently. I don't need to prove I am a tough guy and can go without one, I have it on there because it serves a purpose.
Spotting rounds out at 300-1000 yards is very easy and a lot of the time it eliminates the need for a spotter.Kunar Prov, A'stan '08-'09, 1-26 INFComment
-
Seems that a lot of the local matches out here don't like brakes. Is that not the case in Southern California?Originally posted by fighterpilot562Damn it man! We could have got drunk, called a taxi and drop by Kest house with a mega phone.Comment
-
I would love to have one on mine, I can't spot my hit. My muzzle jumps 3-6 inches and I have to put the crosshairs back on target. Wastes lots of my range time.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using TapatalkOriginally posted by Kestryll..you're kind of a sad excuse for an attorney...Originally posted by Libertarian777...Don't pick either side....Comment
-
Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
-
-
Because you can have a barrel threaded after the fact if you need to?
I wouldn't go out of my way to get a threaded barrel. If I had a threaded barrel I wouldn't go out of my way to get a brake. I'd rather not have the added noise (which bugs my friends next to me) and have to spend a bit more time looking through my spotting scope.Calguns.net, where everyone responding to your post is a Navy Force Delta Recon 6 Sniperator.Comment
-
Most brakes are threaded.Originally posted by dakinejbIs there a difference in accuracy between threaded, with a brake and non threaded
Some use a "crush" washer that literally crushes as you tighten it to index the brake. (time the brake)
Others are threaded on and need to be "timed" by a gunsmith without a crush washer.
The ones that have tightening screws without any threads at all... tend to be less effective, loosen easily and sometimes blow off the end of the barrel.Comment
-
You can watch your impacts with a brake.Originally posted by dakinejbIs there a difference in accuracy between threaded, with a brake and non threaded
Not-so-much with a plain muzzle.
It will be easier to shoot smaller groups with a brake.Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
-
Eh. Threading the barrel on a five hundred dollar rifle isn't nearly as appealing as just buying a five hundred dollar rifle with a threaded barrel.Because you can have a barrel threaded after the fact if you need to?
I wouldn't go out of my way to get a threaded barrel. If I had a threaded barrel I wouldn't go out of my way to get a brake. I'd rather not have the added noise (which bugs my friends next to me) and have to spend a bit more time looking through my spotting scope.
Given two identical rifles, other than muzzle threads, and a small cost difference, I'd go with threaded every single time. My Mossberg MVP Patrol is freaking awesome, considering it's a five hundred dollar .308 with a threaded barrel. Nothing else comes close to it, ESPECIALLY when you add the cost of threading it later.Comment
-

If you shoot far enough, you can have a sip of coffee in between shooting and spotting. My 1250y shots dont seem to be effected by me not having a brake, then again the target is so small and I have enough time that it's pretty rare my scope would be off target by the time of impact.
Maybe they've never shot short enoughComment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,544
Posts: 25,148,867
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 21708 users online. 64 members and 21644 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment