Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
First bolt gun?
Collapse
X
-
Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit. -
I just want to point out that while its cool the Predator and MVP takes the AR mags, its a bolt action gun. You should be using way less ammo vs what your used to in a AR.
Going back and reading through this thread, I have to say get a Rem 700 or a Savage and enjoy. I feel your options will be open vs what the Mossbergs will.Comment
-
20rd and 30rd mags hang down so far that you have to shoot from really poor positions to use those mags.
Your best bet would be to get a bunch of 8rd colt mags that are short.Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
-
-
It's a plus if you want to shoot 5.56 isn't it? That why I said I don't know how a 223 chamber would handle 5.56 ammo. I think the 5.56 chambers accuracy would be fine with cheap ammo. You can hand load and just neck size to improve accuracy in a bolt action.sigpic
Comment
-
Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
-
20 round mags arent really that large IMO? 30 yea that would be too long.. but 20 I think would work?Comment
-
Randall Rausch
AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Handguns: www.handgunbarrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Most work done while you wait on a scheduled shop visit.Comment
-
Just got a Savage M11.
I'm covered on hunting rifles but also wanted a .223 plinker and this seemed to fit the bill for me, though the MVP Patrol is interesting (says the guy with 10-rounds mags in his pocket).Comment
-
One thing rarely mentioned about the Savage 10/110 (etc) is that they don't require a gunsmith to change barrels. The Accutrigger is also understated. There's also a scout line of Savage rifles in 308 and 7.62.x39. Savage seem to have a plethora of bolt action models.Use GAB.COMComment
-
LOL Ok. So you're saying a bolt action isn't going to be anymore accurate than an AR if it has a 5.56 chamber.sigpic
Comment
-
I have an older Savage 110 in 7mm Mag. Accuracy is impressive. The trigger is excellent. Savage must have came up with the accutrigger do to liability reasons.sigpic
Comment
-
Given the choice, .223 will be way more accurate than 5.56 in a bolt gun. Again the point is if you're buying a bolt rifle you want to be the most accurate you can be. If you want to shoot 5.56 buy an AR.Comment
-
What if you already have an AR but you want a bolt action that will shoot any ammo you have.sigpic
Comment
-
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,337
Posts: 25,147,013
Members: 358,387
Active Members: 5,484
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 28844 users online. 169 members and 28675 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.

Comment