Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First bolt gun?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    milotrain
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2011
    • 4301

    I really like the feel of the Tikka T3 action. Also very accurate by all accounts. It cocks on the upstroke of the bolt lever so once the bolt is open closing it and latching it down is spring assisted. Feels trick. But I bought a 700 because of all the things you can do to it.
    weg: That device is obsolete now. They replaced it with wizards.
    frank: Wait a minute. There are more than one wizard? Is [are?] the wizard calibrated?

    Comment

    • #32
      smittty
      Calguns Addict
      • Feb 2008
      • 6274

      Originally posted by Nrai2020
      Remington 700 vs MVP.. Which is the more accurate shooter?
      Out of the box and dollar for dollar it's the MVP.

      Comment

      • #33
        smak28
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Jan 2013
        • 4120

        Remington 700. If there's a smaller budget, take a look at Tikka as a first lower cost bolt gun. However, I would go straight to a Remington
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #34
          TMB 1
          Calguns Addict
          • Dec 2012
          • 7153

          Originally posted by Nrai2020
          Remington 700 vs MVP.. Which is the more accurate shooter?
          If you're talking 223 flip a coin on accuracy. I think I would go with price & features I like about one over the other.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #35
            Nrai2020
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2013
            • 2343

            Originally posted by TMB 1
            If you're talking 223 flip a coin on accuracy. I think I would go with price & features I like about one over the other.
            Yes I think I would want it in .223, .308 is just too expensive for me to shoot often. I do like that the MVP takes pmags but seems that the 700 has been around forever?

            Comment

            • #36
              jetman624
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 514

              If cost is a factor, you should really consider the target distance available at your local range, and then consider if you are not better off sticking with a .22LR. I can't reload my cheapest .223 round for what I can get decent .22LR for...

              I think a lot of people skip the .22LR because they perceive it as a weenie round (I know I used to), but they are very fun to shoot, and you still can't beet the cost of ammo... My closest ranges are 50-100 meters, and trigger time is trigger time-- no need to shoot more expensive stuff than I need to at those distances...

              Comment

              • #37
                whipkiller
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2009
                • 3461

                Originally posted by jetman624
                If cost is a factor, you should really consider the target distance available at your local range, and then consider if you are not better off sticking with a .22LR. I can't reload my cheapest .223 round for what I can get decent .22LR for...

                I think a lot of people skip the .22LR because they perceive it as a weenie round (I know I used to), but they are very fun to shoot, and you still can't beet the cost of ammo... My closest ranges are 50-100 meters, and trigger time is trigger time-- no need to shoot more expensive stuff than I need to at those distances...
                Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                Comment

                • #38
                  ExtremeX
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 7160

                  Savage Mark II TRR is a really fun bolt action .22LR, but I have a harder time sourcing .22LR match than I do plinking ammo if I want to get serious with it. Also the rifle isn’t that much cheaper than a 700, Tikka, or Savage.

                  For a .223 bolt action, my first choice is a Remington 700, pretty happy with them out of the box. Also like the vast after market and the fact there are no shortages of gun smiths willing to work on them.

                  Tikka T3 Lite if you want more of a hunting rifle. For the price, amazing. Action is butter smooth and excellent factory barrel.

                  Savage seems like a contender as well, but I’ve never shot one.

                  I have a hard time taking the Mossberg MVP seriously, but that might change once I get a chance to get some rounds down range with it. You mentioned PMAGs OP… might want to do some research on that. They seem to prefer USGI mags.
                  ExtremeX

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    TMB 1
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2012
                    • 7153

                    Originally posted by Nrai2020
                    Yes I think I would want it in .223, .308 is just too expensive for me to shoot often. I do like that the MVP takes pmags but seems that the 700 has been around forever?
                    Well two pluses for the MVP would be AR mags & 5.56 NATO chamber so you could shoot both it & 223. I'm not sure what chamber the Remington 700 comes with or how it would handle 5.56 ammo.
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Loopwell
                      CGN Contributor
                      • Dec 2012
                      • 1519

                      Originally posted by Superfreak
                      If you've got a decent budget, take a look at:

                      -Remington 700
                      -Winchester 70

                      Good rule of thumb: Your glass should cost about as much as your rifle.
                      Those two models are great choices.

                      However, I can differ on the glass. Nikon Scopes are really clear, reliable, and long lasting, just half the cost of a comparable Leupold.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Nrai2020
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2013
                        • 2343

                        Originally posted by smittty
                        I recommended a Savage 22 LR but I guess that only makes sense if you have ammo to enjoy it. Sadly I still don't see it on the shelves!

                        If you have an AR15 then you probably have some ammo for it therefore my 2nd recommendation is for a 223/556 rifle such as the MVP.

                        The ammo situation still looks pretty bad.

                        Good luck,
                        I saw a ton of savage 22LRs at the DICKS by my house a few weeks ago..?

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Nrai2020
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2013
                          • 2343

                          I handled an MVP patrol today.. it seemed decent. It wasnt as nice as the ruger scout right next to it... now that was a nice rifle!!! I m tempted to go back tommorow and get the MVP though... what do you guys think? It was $579.. is that a reasonable price for a rifle such as the MVP?

                          I would go for the scout but I just dont think I could get it out and shoot much with .308 prices lately. What was the price of .308 pre panic??

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            NorCalFocus
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2013
                            • 3913

                            All large rifle ammo off the shelf is $1.00 per round. Pre panic maybe, $0.75 a round.

                            The MVP is a great gun and thats an average price for it. The MVP would be great for target shooting out to 500 yards, and varmint hunting. However a 308 gives you so much more options though. You can load down to 110g bullets for plinking and varmints all the way up to 180g for long distance and large game hunting.

                            The 308 really gives you so much more if your only going to have one bolt gun IMHO.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              NorCalFocus
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2013
                              • 3913

                              All large rifle ammo off the shelf is $1.00 per round. Pre panic maybe, $0.75 a round.

                              The MVP is a great gun and thats an average price for it. The MVP would be great for target shooting out to 500 yards, and varmint hunting. However a 308 gives you so much more options though. You can load down to 110g bullets for plinking and varmints all the way up to 180g for long distance and large game hunting.

                              The 308 really gives you so much more if your only going to have one bolt gun IMHO.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Nrai2020
                                Senior Member
                                • Apr 2013
                                • 2343

                                I kinda like the look of the predator... longer barrel, still accept AR mags.. have you guys seen any mossberg predators around the SoCal area?

                                Was at riflegear yesterday in LA... they had a few if anyone is interested?
                                Last edited by Nrai2020; 08-31-2013, 1:58 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1