Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

How much should we spend a bench rifle?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    WHITE MAMBA
    Member
    • May 2010
    • 421

    Way to much

    Comment

    • #32
      Kingair001
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2015
      • 2357

      Originally posted by WHITE MAMBA
      Way to much
      He better bought your Mausingfield 😉

      Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
      WTB : Bren Ten - WTB : Wildey 45 & 475 Magnum

      Comment

      • #33
        Rusty_Shackleferd
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2014
        • 1107

        My attitude is "buy once, cry once." I'll admit to selling components to upgrade to something else, but I did so with new found experience and a better perspective of what works best for me. I've sold only one of my firearms because of the above mentality. I'm currently trying to sell a rifle I adore because I need the money, and I figure I can buy another later down the road when I move out of state.

        Comment

        • #34
          LynnJr
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2013
          • 7958

          Originally posted by tigerpan
          I feel I spend too much on this rifle unfinish rifle build
          Start with

          R700 BDL in 300 win mag 750
          26" Hart button barrel 400
          Trued Action and install 400
          AICS 1.5 nofolding 1000
          Vortex scope 500
          Muzzle brake 120
          Cheap Caldwell bipod 30

          Cost 3200+
          Is that really worth the price compared to RPR?
          In going down your list you spent $450 too much on the action. You can buy a new action complete at Grabagun for way less than $750.
          The Hart barrel is right.
          The stock is $650 more than I would pay but I don't like chassis stocks. I would have put a fibreglass McMillan on it and done the work myself or went Bell&Carlson.
          $400 for truing and install is about normal it's just not fully trued up.
          The scope isn't considered because it is transferrable gun to gun.
          In the end you spent an extra $1000 but you got the chassis you wanted.
          It should outshoot the RPR and any other factory type rifle if you reload for it. A 190 class bullet around 2950 FPS should drive tacks.
          The only reason to pick a custom action over a Remington is if it offers you a feature not available on the Remington.
          In your example there won't be any noticeable accuracy difference if you went with a surgeon. You pay $800 more and end up with a cast action when for the same money you could get a BAT.
          Cast actions work they just wouldn't be my choice.
          Trued Remingtons win in most forms of competitive shooting but the additional features of the customs is what the guys using them are after.
          In the future if your just shooting from a BENCH and not shooting tactical matches get a $300 Remington action a Jewell trigger a McMillan Tooley MBR stock a custom barrel and have it put together by a competent gunsmith. That combo with good handloads will outshoot 95% of all the guns on this website and will work better off of a BENCH.
          Last edited by LynnJr; 04-30-2017, 7:05 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
          Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
          Southwest Regional Director
          Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
          www.unlimitedrange.org
          Not a commercial business.
          URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!

          Comment

          • #35
            tigerpan
            Senior Member
            • Aug 2012
            • 2197

            [QUOTE=LynnJr;20034760]In going down your list you spent $450 too much on the action. You can buy a new action complete at Grabagun for way less than $750.
            The Hart barrel is right.
            The stock is $650 more than I would pay but I don't like chassis stocks. I would have put a fibreglass McMillan on it and done the work myself or went Bell&Carlson.
            $400 for trying and install is about normal it's just not fully trued up.
            The scope isn't considered because it is transferrable gun to gun.
            In the end you spent an extra $1000 but you got the chassis you wanted.
            It should outshoot the RPR and any other factory type rifle if you reload for it. A 190 class bullet around 2950 FPS should drive tacks.
            The only reason to pick a custom action over a Remington is if it offers you a feature not available on the Remington.
            In your example there won't be any noticeable accuracy difference if you went with a surgeon. You pay $800 more and end up with a cast action when for the same money you could get a BAT.
            Cast actions work they just wouldn't be my choice.
            Trued Remingtons win in most forms of competitive shooting but the additional features of the customs is what the guys using them are after.
            In the future if your just shooting from a BENCH and not shooting tactical matches get a $300 Remington action a Jewell trigger a McMillan Tooley MBR stock a custom barrel and have it put together by a competent gunsmith. That combo with good handloads will outshoot 95% of all the guns on this website and will work better off of a BENCH.[/QUOT
            This is good point. But I think i may end up buying somebody else custom rifle in the feature. It will save some money.
            I agree Mcmilian stock is cheaper and better feels than AICS plastic skin.
            I was lucky got model 70 custom rifle from calguner, i just need spend sometime to get it fix.

            Comment

            • #36
              tigerpan
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 2197

              Originally posted by Rusty_Shackleferd
              My attitude is "buy once, cry once." I'll admit to selling components to upgrade to something else, but I did so with new found experience and a better perspective of what works best for me. I've sold only one of my firearms because of the above mentality. I'm currently trying to sell a rifle I adore because I need the money, and I figure I can buy another later down the road when I move out of state.
              I'm may need sale lot of my rifle, if I'm ready going to get house.

              Comment

              • #37
                Whiterabbit
                Calguns Addict
                • Oct 2010
                • 7599

                Originally posted by tigerpan
                I feel I spend too much on this rifle unfinish rifle build
                Start with

                R700 BDL in 300 win mag 750
                26" Hart button barrel 400
                Trued Action and install 400
                AICS 1.5 nofolding 1000
                Vortex scope 500
                Muzzle brake 120
                Cheap Caldwell bipod 30

                Cost 3200+
                Is that really worth the price compared to RPR?
                Is it worth it? Well, since $3200 can't buy you an RPR that will shoot 300 win mag and feed from a magazine, maybe? maybe $6400 isn't likely to buy you an RPR that fits and feeds 300 win mag...

                Comment

                • #38
                  k1dude
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • May 2009
                  • 15986

                  I was in the process of buying components for a precision rifle when the RPR came out. I immediately stopped buying. Fortunately I'd only spent a couple hundred at that point.

                  I bought an RPR instead. It's sub MOA all day long. I was hammering steel at 1,200 yards with it yesterday. Couldn't be happier.
                  "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                  "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    musketjon
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • 1746

                    It's akin to racing. How fast do you want to go? How small of groups do you want to shoot? All it takes is $$$.
                    Jon

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    UA-8071174-1