Also, what swivels? My stock only has the studs, and I'm considering just drilling them out for QD cups.
Unconfigured Ad Widget
Collapse
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
General precision gun setup
Collapse
X
-
I'm new to a precision rifle myself, just recently stretched out to 1000 yards, not well but I did it. LOL
Found this book to be helpful..........

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Comment
-
Looks like I have some light reading, then. Longest I've gone was 600yds with my buddy's r700 sps tactical....only has a 20" barrel, but I was accurate enough with it, but I was hooked and wanted to go father and be more accurate, hence I'm where I am nowI'm new to a precision rifle myself, just recently stretched out to 1000 yards, not well but I did it. LOL
Found this book to be helpful..........
https://www.amazon.com/Long-Range-Sh.../dp/151865472XComment
-
General precision gun setup
Here's the NRA rules so now you have a lot of reading lol.
You'll have to talk to the guys shooting with iron sights about equipment as far as slings/gear.
I've only shot F-open off a bipod and a creedmoor sport glove for rear support but I don't shoot for score just for fun and practice.
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkComment
-
I wouldn't buy anymore gear until you can find a match.
Once the match is over look at the equipment and ask questions.
A little note book would help you write down what they tell you plus phone numbers.
Milotrain who posts here usually is a wealth of info so do a search for his posts as well.Lynn Dragoman, Jr.
Southwest Regional Director
Unlimited Range Shooters Association (URSA)
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!Comment
-
I believe you can use a rear bag for F-TR
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkComment
-
Roger, I don't know if I'm gonna be able to make the smgc F-class match on dec 3-4, but my priority is getting out to speculate oneI wouldn't buy anymore gear until you can find a match.
Once the match is over look at the equipment and ask questions.
A little note book would help you write down what they tell you plus phone numbers.
Milotrain who posts here usually is a wealth of info so do a search for his posts as well.Comment
-
Use what you have for the first year, shooting a match once a month and practicing once a month. You'll struggle at first but your learning curve will be steep. By the end of a year you'll have enough knowledge to know where you want to go.
FYI: The Palma guys are using the 175 grain bullet now, having tried to get the high speed 155s to work in long barrels. Also, you'll want to get a Jewell trigger (or equivalent) right off the bat. The stock trigger just doesn't get the job done.sigpicComment
-
Even on the lightest setting, considering it's an adjustable trigger?Use what you have for the first year, shooting a match once a month and practicing once a month. You'll struggle at first but your learning curve will be steep. By the end of a year you'll have enough knowledge to know where you want to go.
FYI: The Palma guys are using the 175 grain bullet now, having tried to get the high speed 155s to work in long barrels. Also, you'll want to get a Jewell trigger (or equivalent) right off the bat. The stock trigger just doesn't get the job done.Comment
-
Yes...and I'd look at the timney Calvin elite as well as the Jewell.
You will see why when you squeeze a nice trigger.
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkComment
-
-
No disrespect meant but your trigger will feel like a truck leaf spring compared to a timney or Jewell.
Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkComment
-
once you go to 1-3 oz triggers, or if you have to...1 lb triggers, you will never go back. once you get used to a trigger that light, all that is left is trigger control. the trigger will not go off if you do not depress the trigger.Comment
Calguns.net Statistics
Collapse
Topics: 1,868,567
Posts: 25,149,269
Members: 358,862
Active Members: 5,901
Welcome to our newest member, 1776 Arms.
What's Going On
Collapse
There are currently 25848 users online. 134 members and 25714 guests.
Most users ever online was 239,041 at 10:39 PM on 02-14-2026.


Comment