Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Chiappa revolvers (was ffsta)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ffsta
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2012
    • 4

    Chiappa revolvers (was ffsta)

    I can't find out if these guns are CA legal

    I always liked a 357 mag.
    I googled them, and I emailed several sellers, but I never received an answer.
    TIA
    Fred
  • #2
    Marquand
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2013
    • 1482

    The Chiappa Rhino revolvers are not on the CA Approved Handgun Roster. However they can be purchased via a Single Action Exemption. I got a 40DS from Riflegear in Fountain Valley this past summer and I love it.

    I am not sure if the 20DS 2" barreled version can be SAE'd as it may not meet the minimum barrel and overall length requirements.
    "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

    Comment

    • #3
      morrcarr67
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Jul 2010
      • 15053

      Originally posted by ffsta
      I can't find out if these guns are CA legal

      I always liked a 357 mag.
      I googled them, and I emailed several sellers, but I never received an answer.
      TIA
      Fred
      It is 100% legal.

      As has been mentioned; it's not on the roster. Though you can buy it here.
      Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

      Originally posted by Erion929

      Comment

      • #4
        claylakers
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 2807

        Off roster, but love mine

        Comment

        • #5
          stilly
          I need a LIFE!!
          • Jul 2009
          • 10685

          Originally posted by ffsta
          I can't find out if these guns are CA legal

          I always liked a 357 mag.
          I googled them, and I emailed several sellers, but I never received an answer.
          TIA
          Fred
          Please do not say this anymore and think before you talk about guns being legal or not in CA.

          There is a HUGE misconception that if a gun is not on the CA roster then it is illegal here.

          That is complete BULL****.

          All it means that that a dealer may not sell it to a non LEO and that if you want it you need to have someone bring it in (and that is where I stop with THIS one) or you need to SSE it.

          I believe you can still SSE revolvers by having it made into a single action. I know that OCA will do it and they will charge around $200 because they are complicated, but they can do it for you, I spoke with them and I plan on bringing in one next year maybe in about 4 months. I of course am going to get the 60DS because I like how it looks.

          So with that said, go get one. Call around and see if certain stores already have them in, but OCA can get them and charge you less for them, or you can have an out of state seller send you one to OCA and they will convert it, but that WILL cost you more money.

          Oh and leave BUDS GUN SHOP out of it. They are lamers and refuse to ship any handgun to CA despite that it is SSEable.


          Claylakers: That looks nice. I might have to get one in each length now...
          7 Billion people on the planet. They aint ALL gonna astronauts. Some will get hit by trains...

          Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...



          And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...

          Comment

          • #6
            Quiet
            retired Goon
            • Mar 2007
            • 30242

            The Chiappa Rhino revolvers are currently being transferred under the single-action revolver exemption, not the single-shot pistol exemption.

            Therefore, the change to the single-shot pistol exemption has no effect on how these revolvers are being transferred in CA.
            sigpic

            "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

            Comment

            • #7
              SneezySky
              Buy once cry once
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Oct 2013
              • 331

              These funs are 100% legal to own. Buying new requires FFLs to either SAE or SSE. In general, revolvers are SAE and that isn't going away. There is at least one FFL doing SSE for the Rhino snubbies. Try search or Google fu. I'll post a link when I get to my desk.

              Buying used, again completely legal. Just regular ppt process.
              Live your life like you don't have a spare.

              Comment

              • #8
                SneezySky
                Buy once cry once
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Oct 2013
                • 331

                Here you go:

                User baboosh does the SSE.




                Figured it out on the phone.
                Live your life like you don't have a spare.

                Comment

                • #9
                  wingerkin
                  Junior Member
                  • Dec 2014
                  • 2

                  the change to the single-shot pistol exemption has no effect on how these revolvers are being transferred in CA.

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    SneezySky
                    Buy once cry once
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Oct 2013
                    • 331

                    Originally posted by wingerkin
                    the change to the single-shot pistol exemption has no effect on how these revolvers are being transferred in CA.

                    Not true. There are two routes to transfer new.

                    SSE - new restrictions in Jan (usually semi but not this case)
                    SAE - no changes (for revolvers)

                    FFLs are using both methods for the Rhino. The ones using the existing SSE will need to stop or change. The ones doing SAE are good to go.

                    Yes - these revolvers can be SSE. I don't know the technicals but according to several they do it that way and definitely not SAE.
                    Live your life like you don't have a spare.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Baboosh
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jun 2008
                      • 6769

                      Originally posted by SneezySky
                      Not true. There are two routes to transfer new.

                      SSE - new restrictions in Jan (usually semi but not this case)
                      SAE - no changes (for revolvers)

                      FFLs are using both methods for the Rhino. The ones using the existing SSE will need to stop or change. The ones doing SAE are good to go.

                      Yes - these revolvers can be SSE. I don't know the technicals but according to several they do it that way and definitely not SAE.
                      Not true, SSE on these may continue.
                      Just a normal guy

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        fmunk
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2011
                        • 3896

                        Originally posted by ffsta
                        I can't find out if these guns are CA legal

                        I always liked a 357 mag.
                        I googled them, and I emailed several sellers, but I never received an answer.
                        TIA
                        Fred
                        Why are people still asking this? If it's NOT on the CA DOJ roster, it is NOT legal.

                        Yes, there are work-around options, but in unaltered factory-stock form—no, not legal.

                        .


                        FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          GimpsUnlimited
                          Senior Member
                          • Aug 2013
                          • 1653

                          Here we go again. High capacity mag or standard capacity mag?
                          Lifetime NRA member.
                          --------------------------
                          Molon labe

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            Nor*Cal
                            Veteran Member
                            • Nov 2011
                            • 2687

                            And why do people use the term "NOT LEGAL"?

                            Just because a handgun is not on the roster does not make it illegal. It just means that its off roster and can't be sold by a dealer unless the buyer is roster exempt.

                            So, this pistol is off roster but legal to own.

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              SneezySky
                              Buy once cry once
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Oct 2013
                              • 331

                              Originally posted by Baboosh
                              Not true, SSE on these may continue.

                              Care to describe your SSE process for revolvers? Thought I read a post by you that you had to stop in '15.

                              As i said SSE is still here beyond 2014 but more restrictive. Starting to hear SSE 2.0 rules.
                              Live your life like you don't have a spare.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1