Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Poll: Which revolver?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    SonofWWIIDI
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2011
    • 21583

    Originally posted by trigger945
    I vote for 586 4" as the 6" with full lug can be front heavy. Just thought I would say in case you haven't really tried shooting one.
    I will try all three if them then. I do like the look of the longer barrel though.

    As for weight, well, I was fortunate enough to get to shoot another CGers .460 mag with a gigantic barrel...and it shot a frozen rope out to the 100 yard gong. And wasn't to bad on the weight. So I think I'll be able to handle it. If I was planning on using it for CCW (still wishful thinking here in Santa Clara), I would definitely lean toward a shorter barrel.
    Sorry, not sorry.
    🎺

    Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

    Comment

    • #17
      jeffyhog
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2010
      • 2759

      So far everyone has recommended a Smith, but you won't go wrong with a Ruger GP100 either. Solid gun that goes on sale for about $520 frequently for the blued model. I have an older 6" stainless model, but I would really like to pick up a blued 4" as well.

      Comment

      • #18
        JTROKS
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Nov 2007
        • 13093

        If you're going for a durable, accurate, reliable revolver with good resale value go with the 586 Classic and SAE it. A model 19 is nice and the choice if I wanted it a bit faster due to the smaller frame and lesser weight compared to the 586. I would also highly suggest the Ruger GP100. It is about the same as the 586 with a bit more emphasis on durability.
        The wise man said just find your place
        In the eye of the storm
        Seek the roses along the way
        Just beware of the thorns...
        K. Meine

        Comment

        • #19
          Marquand
          Senior Member
          • Feb 2013
          • 1482

          Originally posted by JTROKS
          If you're going for a durable, accurate, reliable revolver with good resale value go with the 586 Classic and SAE it. A model 19 is nice and the choice if I wanted it a bit faster due to the smaller frame and lesser weight compared to the 586. I would also highly suggest the Ruger GP100. It is about the same as the 586 with a bit more emphasis on durability.
          ...and the GP-100 comes without a prone-to-failure internal lock. Pre-lock S&W for the win but if you are going to buy a new revolver, go Ruger.
          "A vote is like a rifle; it's usefulness depends upon the character of the user." - Theodore Roosevelt

          Comment

          • #20
            Sutcliffe
            Calguns Addict
            • Mar 2003
            • 6792

            Never been a fan of N-framed .357

            Also, that 6 1/2" barrel is an odd size for any kind of handgun.
            I've got a 6" 686 and find it a little too muzzle heavy for my tastes.
            You might want to consider a used K-frame and beware a steady diet of full power rounds for it.

            Comment

            • #21
              javithewrench
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2010
              • 1382

              I like s&w but lately their quality control has gone to Chet. I just sent them a brand new competitor for repair, the front sight is so loose it can be pushed out by hand and its a performance center piece. And go 44 mag!

              Comment

              • #22
                SonofWWIIDI
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2011
                • 21583

                Originally posted by jeffyhog
                So far everyone has recommended a Smith, but you won't go wrong with a Ruger GP100 either. Solid gun that goes on sale for about $520 frequently for the blued model. I have an older 6" stainless model, but I would really like to pick up a blued 4" as well.
                I didn't see it on the roster.

                Originally posted by JTROKS
                If you're going for a durable, accurate, reliable revolver with good resale value go with the 586 Classic and SAE it. A model 19 is nice and the choice if I wanted it a bit faster due to the smaller frame and lesser weight compared to the 586. I would also highly suggest the Ruger GP100. It is about the same as the 586 with a bit more emphasis on durability.
                As I noted earlier, I'm not really interested in SAE. Wanna go and look at and touch the one I'm gonna buy before I pony up the $$$.

                And I don't see the GP100 on the roster. Did I miss it.

                But thanks for the recommendation.

                Originally posted by Marquand
                ...and the GP-100 comes without a prone-to-failure internal lock. Pre-lock S&W for the win but if you are going to buy a new revolver, go Ruger.
                Didn't know about the lock issues on the S&W. I guess I'll have to do some research about that.

                And as above, I don't see the ruger on the roster, an I missing something?

                Originally posted by Sutcliffe
                Also, that 6 1/2" barrel is an odd size for any kind of handgun.
                I've got a 6" 686 and find it a little too muzzle heavy for my tastes.
                You might want to consider a used K-frame and beware a steady diet of full power rounds for it.
                I'm only gonna use it for some fun and plinking, so I pretty sure that the weight won't be much of a problem.


                Originally posted by javithewrench
                I like s&w but lately their quality control has gone to Chet. I just sent them a brand new competitor for repair, the front sight is so loose it can be pushed out by hand and its a performance center piece. And go 44 mag!
                Interesting. I'll have to research that as well.

                As for .44 mag, I considered that (and it would definitely be a model 29), but the cost of ammo is way to high to make it affordable for me to shoot. The .357/.38 special models are much less expensive to shoot. Plus I think I already have .38 special dies for reloading.
                Thanks.


                Thanks to all who have posted. There is some valuable information here. I'm gonna do some more research and rent/borrow as many of the models I lean toward AND the suggested models for some hands on testing.


                Keep the info coming! Thanks again to all!
                Sorry, not sorry.
                🎺

                Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                Comment

                • #23
                  MikeSmith
                  Member
                  • Jun 2013
                  • 471

                  Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
                  As for .44 mag, I considered that (and it would definitely be a model 29), but the cost of ammo is way to high to make it affordable for me to shoot. The .357/.38 special models are much less expensive to shoot. Plus I think I already have .38 special dies for reloading.
                  Thanks.


                  Thanks to all who have posted. There is some valuable information here. I'm gonna do some more research and rent/borrow as many of the models I lean toward AND the suggested models for some hands on testing.


                  Keep the info coming! Thanks again to all!

                  If you decide on a 44 magnum model 29 I have a brand new unfired one for sale. Blued model. And I'm in San Jose.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    MikeSmith
                    Member
                    • Jun 2013
                    • 471

                    But yes the ammo can be expensive, you can find range ammo for 44 magnum at about .70 cents a round. If you want the good stuff it's a $1 plus.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      edgalang
                      Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 259

                      Originally posted by SonofWWIIDI
                      ...
                      And I don't see the GP100 on the roster. Did I miss it.
                      ...

                      You sure did.

                      Sturm, Ruger & Co. KGP-141 / Stainless Steel Revolver 4" .357 Magnum 12/31/2014
                      Sturm, Ruger & Co. GP-141 (Blue) / Alloy Steel Revolver 4.19" .357 Magnum 2/9/2015
                      Sturm, Ruger & Co. KGP-141-MCF 01754 / Steel Revolver 4.20" .357 Magnum 8/11/2015
                      Sturm, Ruger & Co. GP-161 / Blue Steel Revolver 6" .357 Magnum 12/31/2014
                      Sturm, Ruger & Co. KGP-161 / Stainless Steel Revolver 6" .357 Magnum 12/31/2014

                      For a break down of model differences...go here...


                      Based on your previous posts, you are looking for catalog numbers GP-141 (GP-100 4 inch blue) or GP-161 (GP-100 6 inch blue).

                      Personally I am eyeing the 4 inch stainless GP-100 or the slightly smaller 4 inch SP-101 myself as my first revolver.


                      EDIT:
                      For SP-101...
                      Sturm, Ruger & Co. KSP-341X (Satin Stnls) 05771 Revolver 4.20" .357 Mag 4/11/2015

                      Pros for SP-101 vs GP-100 is smaller (thinner) package and FO front sights built in.
                      Cons for SP-101 vs GP-100 is 5 shot vs 6.

                      The 4 inch mark is the crossroads between the 2 model lines. Anything bigger you go GP and anything smaller you go SP.
                      Last edited by edgalang; 11-10-2014, 10:33 AM.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        SonofWWIIDI
                        I need a LIFE!!
                        • Nov 2011
                        • 21583

                        Originally posted by MikeSmith
                        If you decide on a 44 magnum model 29 I have a brand new unfired one for sale. Blued model. And I'm in San Jose.

                        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1001330
                        That's quite tempting Mike!

                        But I'm still saving up for it, probably won't be until next month (a Christmas present to myself).

                        And yes the ammo is a but more expensive. I was checking out gunbot the other night and .357M (.45-.60 per round)/.38 sp.(.35-.45) for plinking rounds. And as I mentioned earlier I already have the dies for .38 sp.

                        If you still haven't sold it I might reconsider when the time comes.

                        Thanks for the post.
                        Last edited by SonofWWIIDI; 11-10-2014, 10:36 AM.
                        Sorry, not sorry.
                        🎺

                        Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          SonofWWIIDI
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 21583

                          Originally posted by edgalang
                          You sure did.

                          Sturm, Ruger & Co. KGP-141 / Stainless Steel Revolver 4" .357 Magnum 12/31/2014
                          Sturm, Ruger & Co. GP-141 (Blue) / Alloy Steel Revolver 4.19" .357 Magnum 2/9/2015
                          Sturm, Ruger & Co. KGP-141-MCF 01754 / Steel Revolver 4.20" .357 Magnum 8/11/2015
                          Sturm, Ruger & Co. GP-161 / Blue Steel Revolver 6" .357 Magnum 12/31/2014
                          Sturm, Ruger & Co. KGP-161 / Stainless Steel Revolver 6" .357 Magnum 12/31/2014

                          For a break down of model differences...go here...


                          Based on your previous posts, you are looking for catalog numbers GP-141 (GP-100 4 inch blue) or GP-161 (GP-100 6 inch blue).

                          Personally I am eyeing the 4 inch stainless GP-100 or the slightly smaller 4 inch SP-101 myself as my first revolver.
                          Thanks for the clarification! I was unaware of the way the models are numbered. I will definitely check out the rugers as well!
                          Sorry, not sorry.
                          🎺

                          Dear autocorrect, I'm really getting tired of your shirt!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Legasat
                            Intergalactic Member
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 4151

                            Any of the S&W revolvers will serve you well. The Ruger GP100 needs to be on that list also.

                            For something a little different and elegant, see the Dan Wesson at Riflegear:

                            Dan Wesson .357
                            ..

                            .........STGC(SW)


                            SAF Life Member

                            sigpic
                            NRA Benefactor

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Khromo
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2012
                              • 742

                              Absolutely nothing wrong with a Model 27! That is a truly sweet revolver.

                              For heavy use on the range, I had to vote for the slightly heavier 586. Both would be fine for shooting targets, with just a slight edge to the 586 for a little more beef and the long lug to calm down the sight picture.

                              When I recently went shopping for a new revolver, I asked myself "How often are you really going to be shooting .357 ammo? You don't even like shooting .357 ammo!"

                              I wound up buying a Model 67. It is not blue, but it is the classic K frame with a heavy barrel (!), adjustable sights, and it is chambered for my much preferred cartridge for revolvers on the range, the accurate and relatively polite .38 Special.

                              That gun shoots!
                              "Self defense is not a fashion show. A defensive handgun is not a little black dress, or a purse."
                              Remember, the overwhelming majority of anti-gun thinkers are not stupid enough to be "afraid of guns." They are afraid of stupid/immature/crazy psycho people with guns.
                              And as always, being friendly, courteous, and respectful is the easiest way to bend people to your will.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                glockman19
                                Banned
                                • Jun 2007
                                • 10486

                                First do you want a full or half lugged barrel?

                                I prefer 4" full lugged barrels as I find they have the best balance. leading me toward the 586 4"

                                Because you get a little more barrel length with at half lugged barrel I'd look into getting a used 19 in 5" or 5 1/2".

                                A lot will depend on what is available on the Approved list.

                                Here is list of S&W Revolvers on the approved list and the renewal dates.

                                586-8 (Blue) SKU 150909 / Steel Revolver 4" .357 Mag 5/16/2015
                                627-5 Pro Series SKU 178014A / Steel Revolver 4" .357 Magnum 9/1/2015
                                66-8 SKU 162662 / Steel Revolver 4.25" .357 Magnum 8/11/2015
                                327 MPR8 SKU 170292A / Alloy; Stainless Steel Revolver 5" .357 Magnum 11/4/2015
                                327-1 TRR8 SKU 170269A / Alloy; Stainless Steel Revolver 5" .357 Magnum 11/4/2015
                                627-5 SKU 170210A / Steel Revolver 5" .357 Magnum 6/12/2015
                                627-5 V Comp Two-Tone SKU 170296A / Steel Revolver 5" .357 Magnum 6/12/2015
                                586-8 (Blue) SKU 150908 / Steel Revolver 6" .357 Mag 5/16/2015

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1