Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

M&P shield .40 vs 9mm

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    CAGLS
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 3709

    If you said no to giving them anything and they wanted to play the knock out game on you, it may have been justified in drawing your weapon.

    Comment

    • #17
      sarcalan
      Member
      • Feb 2008
      • 167

      was this in a generally safe area?

      Comment

      • #18
        floogy
        Veteran Member
        • Sep 2009
        • 2741

        Is the 938 any different in size from a Shield? Any particular reason you need the Shield over the 938? I have a Shield 40, which I like, but I can't think of a reason to run out and buy a Shield if you already carry a 938.

        Spend the $500 on a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and another holster or two to give you more carry options. Maybe better or different holsters will allow you to carry more often in more places. Remora holster for pocket/IWB, maybe a belly band for gym clothes. Remember, carrying isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.

        Nothing wrong with getting a Shield, but if you've already got a good gun you don't carry all the time, the Shield won't protect you any better.

        Good luck with your future carrying. Hopefully the one time you may have needed it, will be the only time. Think about losing the $50 as cheaper than a lawyer to defend you from their family's dirtbag lawyer if you shot them.

        Comment

        • #19
          Nrai2020
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 2343

          Originally posted by smith and wesson
          I voted 40.

          Op if you were carrying do you think you would have drawn and fired on them? Just curious.
          No.. I would have just reached in my wallet and given them like $20 and told them to beat it...keepin a close eye and some distance on them..not worth the lawyer and court fees or more importantly me looking over my shoulder the rest of my life..BUT had they wanted to mess me up or if my wife was with me and their intents were more evil than just money i would have drawn..

          This was in a relatively safe area.. By my apt it's really safe but the gym closes at 11... I went to a gym further away that's 24hours...

          Still kinda suprised they handed my iPhone and wallet back but kept the cash...
          Last edited by Nrai2020; 07-31-2014, 10:59 PM.

          Comment

          • #20
            Nrai2020
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2013
            • 2343

            Originally posted by floogy
            Is the 938 any different in size from a Shield? Any particular reason you need the Shield over the 938? I have a Shield 40, which I like, but I can't think of a reason to run out and buy a Shield if you already carry a 938.

            Spend the $500 on a couple thousand rounds of 9mm and another holster or two to give you more carry options. Maybe better or different holsters will allow you to carry more often in more places. Remora holster for pocket/IWB, maybe a belly band for gym clothes. Remember, carrying isn't supposed to be comfortable, it's supposed to be comforting.

            Nothing wrong with getting a Shield, but if you've already got a good gun you don't carry all the time, the Shield won't protect you any better.

            Good luck with your future carrying. Hopefully the one time you may have needed it, will be the only time. Think about losing the $50 as cheaper than a lawyer to defend you from their family's dirtbag lawyer if you shot them.
            I have and love the 938... It's actually smaller than the shield and truly is a "pocket pistol" IMO... I also have the 238 which is a bit smaller even.. I guess i just have the itch for a new pistol...a striker fired one... May go with the .40 since I have the 938/238 and a g26 already?
            Last edited by Nrai2020; 07-31-2014, 10:57 PM.

            Comment

            • #21
              TMB 1
              Calguns Addict
              • Dec 2012
              • 7153

              Originally posted by Nrai2020
              No weapon was presented to me... they claimed to be undercover cops and asked me for my ID.. they looked really threatening (not like cops at all, black males tatted up, probably roided up also and really "ghetto" looking) and I really just wasnt in the right mindset at the time to fight back (plus its not worth the $70 in my wallet). I pulled out my wallet to give them my ID and they grabbed my wallet took the cash out, searched the rest of the wallet and searched me for "weapons" and returned my wallet and cell phone, keeping the cash and walked away.. I would have been pissed if I had more money but I was like this time they can keep the $70, luckily I wasnt wearing a watch or my wedding ring to the gym.

              I think they realized that a lot of people dont ccw in the gym when they re running and working out. I dont usually go to the gym so late but I havent been able to sleep the last few nights so I thought a good work out would put me to sleep..
              Originally posted by Nrai2020
              No.. I would have just reached in my wallet and given them like $20 and told them to beat it...keepin a close eye and some distance on them..not worth the lawyer and court fees or me looking over my back the rest of my life..BUT had they wanted to mess me up or if my wife was with me and their intents were more evil than just money i would have drawn..

              This was in a relatively safe area.. By my apt it's really safe but the gym closes at 11... I went to a gym further away that's 24hours...
              Sounds to me it's best you didn't have your 938 or an M&P. They'd just had them a pistol to go with the money. Maybe IDK?
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                Nrai2020
                Senior Member
                • Apr 2013
                • 2343

                Originally posted by TMB 1
                Sounds to me it's best you didn't have your 938 or an M&P. They'd just had them a pistol to go with the money. Maybe IDK?
                In this case... But it could have been different... They looked extremely pissed and kinda scared and uncertain at the same time... They took the money but what if they forced me or if my wife was there into the car or pulled a knife or something..had i been carrying i wouldn't just hand over a weapon without them very clearly showing me a badge or convincing me they were LEO...
                Last edited by Nrai2020; 07-31-2014, 11:05 PM.

                Comment

                • #23
                  glock_this
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Dec 2005
                  • 8225

                  9mm

                  Lighter weight
                  Plenty stopping power
                  More affordable to shoot
                  Arguably easier to find ammo
                  A child or women might find it easier to manage if needed
                  Leads to smaller frame choices generally {though in the shield I believe width of frame is same in 9mm & 40}
                  10 +1 in the chamber

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    floogy
                    Veteran Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 2741

                    If you want a 40, get it. I went with it because of the higher power rounds. No matter what anyone says, 40 has more one shot stops than 9mm. 9mm is adequate but I like the bit of extra power. I have a Kahr CW9 as well for the 9mm end. I do shoot the Shield better though. Shorter pull with a clean break. I still need to shoot both more though.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      glock_this
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Dec 2005
                      • 8225

                      If one wants 40 the XDsc is fantastic, small.
                      10 +1 in the chamber

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        rights
                        Member
                        • Jan 2011
                        • 168

                        They left the iPhone because it could be trace they gave back the wallet because they had no need for it . These were no rookies they new if they took your phone an wallet it could add a lot more charges.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          TMB 1
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Dec 2012
                          • 7153

                          Originally posted by Nrai2020
                          In this case... But it could have been different... They looked extremely pissed and kinda scared and uncertain at the same time... They took the money but what if they forced me or if my wife was there into the car or pulled a knife or something..had i been carrying i wouldn't just hand over a weapon without them very clearly showing me a badge or convincing me they were LEO...
                          You should carry some pepper spray too.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            RustyIron
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • 570

                            Originally posted by Nrai2020
                            They obviously weren't but they were huge and look pissed and like they were just looking for a reason to punch me...i only had $50 in my wallet so i didn't fight it.. They took the money left my wallet and iPhone strangely enough...I usually carry a sig 938
                            Considering the unfortunate situation in which you found yourself entwined, I think the outcome wasn't all that bad. No one got shot, no one got beat up, you didn't end up in jail or having to get a lawyer, and it only cost you fifty bucks. I'm glad you're ok.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              Nrai2020
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2013
                              • 2343

                              Originally posted by RustyIron
                              Considering the unfortunate situation in which you found yourself entwined, I think the outcome wasn't all that bad. No one got shot, no one got beat up, you didn't end up in jail or having to get a lawyer, and it only cost you fifty bucks. I'm glad you're ok.
                              Me too... In all honesty it turned out the best it could have i suppose... Just that day i had $400 in my wallet and I thought to myself i need to deposit this money bc I could be mugged... I d rather pay them $70 to go away rather than have to shoot someone and they end up being some scum gang member and I have to look over my shoulder and my families shoulder forever..

                              But why does anyone ccw.. Bc there is always that chance that the person is some sick person out to hurt,kill, rape, kidnap someone...

                              Either way i m touched the calguns community understands and supports eachother so much..
                              Last edited by Nrai2020; 08-01-2014, 12:08 AM.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Nrai2020
                                Senior Member
                                • Apr 2013
                                • 2343

                                I guess its a good lesson for just $70... Always always be alert and know your surroundings at all times.. ESPECIALLY late at night.. No matter how tired you maybe.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1