Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Smith and wesson m&p?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    Malaprop14
    Member
    • Jun 2014
    • 488

    The idea behind the mag disconnect in the first place was so that in the event that you thought your firearm might be taken from you, dropping the mag would at least buy you some time since an assailant could not immediately use it against you. I agree about a good shoot too though. My CW9 that is my routine carry has no safety and no disconnect. I'll check with the sheriff when I add the Shield to the CCW.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but do it first.

    Comment

    • #17
      fmunk
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2011
      • 3896

      Originally posted by brianlam96
      Could you guys tell me the pros and cons of a smith and wesson m&p! Thanks!!!!!!
      Pros:
      - Affordable.
      - Reliable, if you take care of it like everything else.
      - Pull trigger = bang.
      - Can be personalized, decent aftermarket support.
      - Excellent customer service from S&W should you ever need it (unlikely).

      Cons:
      - Eats ammo.
      - They tend to multiply in your safe.
      - Eats ammo.
      - Glock fanboys will heckle you to death.

      BTW, the trigger job is totally not necessary unless you are coming to the M&P with perceived notion of what a trigger should feel like... or have read too many complaints from Glock fanboys about the M&P trigger and have been brain-washed. If you approach the M&P with a clean slate, the factory trigger is perfectly functional. Even with a trigger job, it's still not going to give you a BJ or sing and dance a jig for you. I did install the Apex kit in mine, but that was only because I was curious and had some play money. Never did have any issues with the factory trigger.

      Finally, don't take anyone's word for it. It's YOUR money. Rent and try them all. Then, buy the one you're most comfortable/happy with. Period.


      .
      Last edited by fmunk; 07-09-2014, 2:33 PM.


      FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

      Comment

      • #18
        NytWolf
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2010
        • 3935

        Pro: It's pretty good.

        Con: I don't have one.

        Comment

        • #19
          utc
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 1120

          Great guns.
          I've found no con to them other than the aforementioned trigger issues (which have been fixed by S&W for the most part.) As for the triggers, just bought a full size 45 (in June,) great trigger, even though it doesn't have the NEW trigger components. and a compact 45 (July,) trigger reset isn't as good. I also own a 2013 9mm FS. Love the M&P line.

          Comment

          • #20
            rfanalyzer
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • May 2013
            • 270

            I agree with all comments above.
            - Factory trigger sucks
            - Apex makes everything better (Comp or DC)
            - Ergonomics are great
            - Plethora of available parts and accessories.
            - You can field strip using the designed lever or trigger pull (without mods)
            - I have both Glock and M&Ps and prefer my M&Ps now. They do tend to multiply.

            Comment

            • #21
              gumby
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 2329

              I have a nephew in each academy, LAPD and LASD. Each have been issued the M&P in 9mm. Between the 2 agencies, thats 17,500 less Glocks on the street, not including their off duty/backup guns!

              Comment

              • #22
                customiiguy
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2012
                • 1666

                Will s&w renew this Gun?

                Comment

                • #23
                  fmunk
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2011
                  • 3896

                  Originally posted by customiiguy
                  Will s&w renew this Gun?

                  If the micro-stamping law is repealed., then perhaps S&W would resubmit for roster approval. But, would they go through the process of gaining approval again? That you'll have to ask them.

                  Contact information can be found on their site. Good luck.


                  FS: Atlas Bipod, Custom G23 RMR slide, ETS mags, Jagerwerks, Recover G26/27, CZ Scorpion bits, etc.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Malaprop14
                    Member
                    • Jun 2014
                    • 488

                    Originally posted by customiiguy
                    Will s&w renew this Gun?
                    No. They let all of the other full size and compacts drop off, so if I were in the market I would definitely buy one now.

                    Originally posted by fmunk
                    BTW, the trigger job is totally not necessary unless you are coming to the M&P with perceived notion of what a trigger should feel like... or have read too many complaints from Glock fanboys about the M&P trigger and have been brain-washed. If you approach the M&P with a clean slate, the factory trigger is perfectly functional. Even with a trigger job, it's still not going to give you a BJ or sing and dance a jig for you. I did install the Apex kit in mine, but that was only because I was curious and had some play money. Never did have any issues with the factory trigger.
                    I would have to agree with this. Try it out as is and you may be fine with it. I noticed the trigger on my Shield had a noticeably nicer movement than my FS; until I install my trigger in my FS that is.

                    Finally, don't take anyone's word for it. It's YOUR money. Rent and try them all. Then, buy the one you're most comfortable/happy with. Period.
                    That is the right way to decide.
                    Last edited by Malaprop14; 07-09-2014, 3:58 PM.
                    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but do it first.

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      Quiet
                      retired Goon
                      • Mar 2007
                      • 30242

                      Originally posted by Malaprop14
                      No. They let all of the other full size and compacts drop off, so if I were in the market I would definitely buy one now.
                      What he said.
                      sigpic

                      "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Malaprop14
                        Member
                        • Jun 2014
                        • 488

                        Originally posted by fmunk
                        If the micro-stamping law is repealed., then perhaps S&W would resubmit for roster approval. But, would they go through the process of gaining approval again? That you'll have to ask them.

                        Contact information can be found on their site. Good luck.
                        Even if they repeal it, would that not mean chamber loaded indicators would still be required on recert? They wouldn't be able to resubmit as renewals because they've already dropped off right?
                        Do unto others as you would have them do unto you, but do it first.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          FreshTapCoke
                          Senior Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • 942

                          For my med-large hands, I find the M&P to have the most comfortable grip.

                          On the con side, my friend and I both have very weak brass ejection with brass hitting us frequently in the face. Grip and stance have no bearing on this problem. Different ammo had no effect. We have had four other people fire our M&Ps with the same effect.

                          I've fired a Beretta, several Glocks, CZ-75's, Desert Eagle, various .22s, various Sigs, various H&Ks and have never once had this problem.
                          Originally posted by Noble Cause
                          Can you imagine Patrick Henry, the "Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death" guy, in today's world, whining about "not joining the NRA because of junk mail" ?!

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            prsabordo
                            Junior Member
                            • Mar 2010
                            • 92

                            I have the 40 and my brother has the 9. I used to own a Ruger sr 40 but long story short I replaced it and bought an m&p. Mine has a more defined trigger reset but it also has a higher lb of pull than compared to my brothers older m&p. it takes getting used to if you are used to glock triggers but IMO it's good but can use a little work to bring down the lbs of pull. The sights and ergonomics are great. One thing I do not like is how sometimes the magazine won't come out freely when doing reloads but other than that it's a solid, high quality, and high value gun and I would highly recommend one.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              SoCalEnthusiast
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2013
                              • 1734

                              I'd go with a glock but I was heckled in my last thread about this topic. Too each their own. Just make sure what you get, you know how to handle it with the best of them. I learned that when I first started purchasing firearms.

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                huntndog
                                Member
                                • Apr 2008
                                • 306

                                Originally posted by SoCalEnthusiast
                                I'd go with a glock but I was heckled in my last thread about this topic. Too each their own. Just make sure what you get, you know how to handle it with the best of them. I learned that when I first started purchasing firearms.
                                Perhaps you get heckled because you just got your first Glock less than two months ago and were already posting away how great your new Glock
                                was (and then you admitted that you hadn't even shot it for the first time yet).... But I'm certain you can already handle your new Glock with the
                                best of them!

                                I'd bet good money that you have never held or shot an M&P.
                                Last edited by huntndog; 07-10-2014, 4:50 AM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1