Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

thinking of downsizing.....

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    18Dmedic
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2011
    • 596

    A short barrel shogun is a Japanese guy with a small penis...I don't think you want one. Lol

    As for the issue at hand...if you want a 1911, I would suggest a 9mm 1911. That would be a really nice option for you. Recoil would be very manageable, ammo would be plentiful and affordable, although I'm a Glock fan. As for the caliber debate, there really isn't a bad decision. Ammo has come a long way and good Defensive option like JHPs will do fine. Personally, I have 9s and 45s. I'm not a fan of the .40 and I like quantity over quality. This comes from years of use, spilled blood, and lessons learned in combat. I've been in situations where I would give my left nut for a couple of more rounds. My friends poke fun until it happens to them. I've had a number of bros come up to me and tell me how they wished they had a few more rounds. Civilian and military are two different shows though. So take what I say with a bit of reservation, evaluate your own situation honestly, and make a decision.

    Whichever route you choose, it'll do the job.

    Comment

    • #47
      drdarrin@sbcglobal.net
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2011
      • 2219

      There is an old saying "beware the man with one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

      Nothing wrong with having only one, despite what anyone else might say.
      NRA Life Member
      GOA Life Member
      USMC '71 - '78

      "I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
      Edward Everett Hale

      Comment

      • #48
        Euphoria526
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2012
        • 3812

        Originally posted by 18Dmedic
        A short barrel shogun is a Japanese guy with a small penis...I don't think you want one. Lol

        As for the issue at hand...if you want a 1911, I would suggest a 9mm 1911. That would be a really nice option for you. Recoil would be very manageable, ammo would be plentiful and affordable, although I'm a Glock fan. As for the caliber debate, there really isn't a bad decision. Ammo has come a long way and good Defensive option like JHPs will do fine. Personally, I have 9s and 45s. I'm not a fan of the .40 and I like quantity over quality. This comes from years of use, spilled blood, and lessons learned in combat. I've been in situations where I would give my left nut for a couple of more rounds. My friends poke fun until it happens to them. I've had a number of bros come up to me and tell me how they wished they had a few more rounds. Civilian and military are two different shows though. So take what I say with a bit of reservation, evaluate your own situation honestly, and make a decision.

        Whichever route you choose, it'll do the job.
        respect and thanks for your services, i am a fan of any of the the 3 main handgun calibers honestly cant go wrong, and i do find 9 to be very manageable with recoil with what i currently have (gotta love CZ ) and i dont mind the .40 actually, im personally really accurate with it as well. but something is telling me to go big or go home haha, so maybe ditch .40 and get a .45 1911.. hehe
        Originally posted by Jimi Jah
        I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
        Originally posted by elpaisa1
        I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

        Originally posted by Euphoria526
        I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

        Comment

        • #49
          davidwow
          Senior Member
          • Mar 2013
          • 798

          I have 3 calibers I consolidated to: 5.56 for the rifle
          9mm for the CZ's - 1911
          .45 for the 1911's

          I was thinking of getting a 10mm before, but the ammo costs on that puppy would be insane.

          I think consolidating your gun calibers, when you only have 2 guns is kind of silly. You are really going to be limiting your selections in the future. I would recommend you purchase the guns you like and think hard and clear if you will enjoy parting with certain guns based on their caliber. In either event, 2 guns is far too soon to consider consolidating ammo, especially if you are new to the firearms world.

          I would recommend you get a bit more info and experience before you decide.

          Comment

          • #50
            smith and wesson
            Senior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 1877

            Originally posted by k1dude
            What is that? Whatever it is I want one!

            Comment

            • #51
              Model17
              Member
              • Dec 2008
              • 137

              I have a belly button.

              Comment

              • #52
                k1dude
                I need a LIFE!!
                • May 2009
                • 15983

                Originally posted by davidwow
                I was thinking of getting a 10mm before, but the ammo costs on that puppy would be insane.
                I usually buy factory new bulk 10mm for 32 to 44 cents per round delivered. I just bought some FMJ for 40 cents per round delivered. I also just bought a bunch of hollow points for 43 cents per round delivered.

                I spend less on my 10mm ammo than I do on my .45 ammo. It usually runs just a few cents more than .40 S&W per round.
                "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                Comment

                • #53
                  riderr
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Sep 2013
                  • 6704

                  Originally posted by kick Z tail out
                  I've been considering downgrading from .45 to 9mm. Main reason being ammo cost and that I'd like to stay in practice. My current budget is somewhat restrictive given my growing family and if I was running 9mm I could shoot twice as often. Not to mention I miss just going out to shoot. When it comes down to Disneyland tickets or shooting, my wife considers shooting to be unimportant. Yeah I know.
                  as a temporary relief, consider 22lr. The cheapest ammo ever... May be less fun, but you can shoot more often without squeezing your budget too much

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    davidwow
                    Senior Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 798

                    Originally posted by k1dude
                    I usually buy factory new bulk 10mm for 32 to 44 cents per round delivered. I just bought some FMJ for 40 cents per round delivered. I also just bought a bunch of hollow points for 43 cents per round delivered.

                    I spend less on my 10mm ammo than I do on my .45 ammo. It usually runs just a few cents more than .40 S&W per round.
                    That is really good. Are those the full power loads, or basically similar to the 40's?

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Euphoria526
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 3812

                      Originally posted by rm1911
                      I think downsizing or consolidating isn't a bad idea. There are some who want to own 20 and that's fine. Variety is the spice of life. And it's a hobby they can afford. However keeping things simple sometimes is the best option. Not everyone is into shooting or shooting as much which is fine. There is no round per month requirement to our rights.

                      There are two ways to look at it. Breadth and depth. Which is better for you. I am pretty much 9 and 45. So I know I can load on up tons of primers, two main powders, and tons of bullets. (Did I say can. Um, did ) I can go very deep on two calibers. And I can practice those two guns. Good quality guns will last many thousands of rounds. Downsize but buy plenty of extra springs and other basic parts. The other stuff will last eons.

                      But I kinda wish I had some more toys, besides my 22's. Sometimes you just want a cool toy. Or ten. I get that!!

                      As for SHTF, let's face it, we all know what's in the back of everyone's mind. And rightfully so. Nothing wrong with that. Hell the government itself actually advises having stores if water and other essentials. They ain't gonna say firearms but...

                      Anyways I think it's a good plan if it's a good plan for you. What I might recommend is a short barrel shogun and maybe some kind of rifle carbine.

                      ahh but i DO have 3 rifles, all i need is a shoTgun (j/k), and was just considering consolidation for my pistols even though all i have is 2 rifle calibers.
                      and for the rest that ignore the blatent plain as day question, im asking opinions on those who have done this and felt complete for a sidearm. rifles and shotguns are for another day and another thread. Its pistols so thats what im asking lol
                      Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                      I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
                      Originally posted by elpaisa1
                      I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

                      Originally posted by Euphoria526
                      I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        zman
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • 3639

                        Originally posted by Virus55
                        You have 2 and your thinking of down sizing? SMART!!!
                        LOL..... I was thinking it was a typo but seriously 2 and downsizing?

                        Super Robot VOLTES V

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          k1dude
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • May 2009
                          • 15983

                          Originally posted by davidwow
                          That is really good. Are those the full power loads, or basically similar to the 40's?
                          As I said, that's for bulk loads which I use for the range. It's basically .40 most of the time. Sometimes it's a bit more powerful than bulk .40. The 10mm HP's I just bought for 43 cents per round are 635 ft lbs at the muzzle. That's more than any .40.

                          But premium SD rounds in .40 or 10mm basically cost the same - big bucks.
                          "Show me a young conservative and I'll show you a man without a heart. Show me an old liberal and I'll show you a man without a brain." - Sir Winston Churchill

                          "I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Euphoria526
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2012
                            • 3812

                            Originally posted by zman
                            LOL..... I was thinking it was a typo but seriously 2 and downsizing?
                            more like minimizing risk. i have no safe and staying with family while im finding a residence. so less things to keep track of the better.
                            Originally posted by Jimi Jah
                            I punch paper only because it is illegal to punch people.
                            Originally posted by elpaisa1
                            I think flatulence is a more serious crime. I think it should be a misdemeanor with a 1000 dollar fine or 6 months of jail. It should be a felony if done near an open flame.

                            Originally posted by Euphoria526
                            I'm so awesome, I think I'll quote myself

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              tbc
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 5955

                              Originally posted by Euphoria526
                              more like minimizing risk. i have no safe and staying with family while im finding a residence. so less things to keep track of the better.
                              Until you get a safe, another remedy to minimize risk is to remove the barrels and take them with you. Just my $0.02.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                Squidward
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2006
                                • 1779

                                I have down- sized and consolidated. Bought ammo, home security upgrades, night vision equipt and training with the $$$ and i feel good.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1