Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Weaver or Isosceles?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    enzo357
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2009
    • 559

    Iso, however it seems I am rarely in it. Using cover, running around obstacles, not crowding a port, just get comfortable in all types of situations. In a perfect situation Iso is my choice, how often do things work out perfectly?

    Comment

    • #17
      daybreak
      Senior Member
      • Dec 2010
      • 1735

      iso, or whatever variation of iso.

      when I go to the range and see you shooting weaver, I judge you silently. just kidding.

      my YouTube shooting channel

      Comment

      • #18
        Press Check
        Veteran Member
        • Jun 2011
        • 4879

        What you watch on TV, Movies and Youtube is not reality.



        Excerpt from article:

        Another natural instinctive reaction you'll have during a gunfight is locking your arms and wrists straight out in front of you. Some people argue about using this, the isosceles stance, versus the Weaver stance, which unrealistically involves bending the elbows. Every officer I've ever spoken with who has been involved in a shooting has told me that they used an isosceles stance. Some of these officers were never trained in the use of an isosceles stance, but when they became involved in a gunfight they automatically went into this position. We have instincts for a reason.

        Comment

        • #19
          Press Check
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2011
          • 4879

          By the way, the first time I shot a pistol, I had no knowledge of what an isosceles or weaver stance was, nor any formal training. I picked up the pistol, shot it, and later found that the natural stance I took on was a modified isosceles stance.

          Comment

          • #20
            beretta929mm
            Senior Member
            • Oct 2009
            • 1492

            Isoweaver works best for me.

            Comment

            • #21
              9mmepiphany
              Calguns Addict
              • Jul 2008
              • 8075

              Originally posted by Ronin2
              That said, I use a "modified weaver" "fighters/boxers" stance. I use the same stance regardless of the weapons system employed...handgun, carbine, shotgun (with more upper body forward lean), knife, hands/CQB, baton etc... Same basic stance, same basic muscle memory when you go from condition white to condition red.
              The original Weaver (as taught at Gunsite) and the Modern Isosceles, use the same foot placement

              The locking of ones arms in the isosceles stance precludes the use of isometric tension to stabilize the weapon for follow up/ multiple shots.
              That is the whole point...to avoid isometric tension...to allow faster recovery from recoil onto the target and placing shots on target more quickly. If you really want to shoot faster and maintain accuracy, you wouldn't lock your arms either
              ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

              Comment

              • #22
                sffred
                Senior Member
                • Jun 2010
                • 2421

                Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
                The original Weaver (as taught at Gunsite) and the Modern Isosceles, use the same foot placement.
                ^^^ this is how I naturally shoot.

                Comment

                • #23
                  Sofatactical
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • 603

                  facing the target. too much over hyper critical tactical blah blah blah going on.
                  if have to think about it you've already lost.
                  Sofa King Tactical!

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    paul0660
                    In Memoriam
                    • Jul 2007
                    • 15669

                    Originally posted by CK_32


                    I heard the pros wear kicker briefs too. You should pick up a pair
                    Get two, because if you actually have to shoot at someone, the first pair will be dirty.
                    *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      9mmepiphany
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 8075

                      Originally posted by sffred
                      ^^^ this is how I naturally shoot.
                      Then it is just a matter of surrounding the gun with your grip to evenly focus the vectors of it's recoil (Iso) or if you are trying to hold/pull it down in recoil (Wev).

                      The main difference between to two is their philosophy of recoil management...one is faster, one makes you feel more in control
                      ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        pyromensch
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 6881

                        weavosceles
                        That may be a CG first!



                        Spyder

                        "You guys need to take more drugs. Then you can TASTE the sound, and HEAR the light!"

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          Moto
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2011
                          • 854

                          Originally posted by sffred
                          Hello fellow Calgunners!

                          I'm so used to shooting my black rifles in the "modular blade style" weaver stance. But now with all this $H!T going on, I just been shooting my handguns now.

                          I know most all the pro's are shooting isosceles stances, and I'm trying to convert but I keep finding myself naturally going back to weaver. I kinda' have the right bicep as my cheekrest (somewhat,but not totally on my bicep).

                          So my question is do you shoot isosceles or weaver?

                          Thanks in advance,
                          Sffred
                          There's more to it.

                          Here:

                          Freedom in the USA is not the freedom from offense. It is actually the freedom to offend.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            far from tactical
                            Senior Member
                            • Mar 2012
                            • 1381

                            Originally posted by pyromensch
                            weavosceles

                            + 1
                            what ever works for you

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              9mmepiphany
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 8075

                              Well, if we're going to use Youtube as a resource...this is one of the better explanations of why, rather than the more common how

                              ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                penguin0123
                                Veteran Member
                                • Dec 2011
                                • 3089

                                I remember reading somewhere that back when cops/GIs were taught to shoot isosceles stance, a study was done on what actual shooting position they used while under fire. And a majority of them went into weaver-ish stance when under stress.

                                YMMV.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1