Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 intrigue...why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    Rorge Retson
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2012
    • 2712

    Originally posted by Striker
    No, there are plenty of people that don't like the 1911. If you don't, I'm not sure why you would go to a your LGS and try to like them.
    Like I said, I thought that maybe I had dismissed them too early, and needed to give them another chance - hold them a little longer in my hand, try a number of different versions, etc.
    Originally posted by Striker
    What you're missing, at least from my point of view, is a gun that if set up and maintained correctly, can yield 2" groups at 25 yards, be just as reliable as any other pistol, and more so than most have been lately, and has the best handgun trigger compared to any other service pistol. However it doesn't seem to be the gun that you're comfortable with, so it's not.
    Ideally, that type of trigger behavior could be replicated in a different firearm. It looks like what I'll be doing is trying trigger kits in my CZ and XDs.

    Comment

    • #77
      IPSICK
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • 4259

      Originally posted by Rorge Retson
      ...Ideally, that type of trigger behavior could be replicated in a different firearm. It looks like what I'll be doing is trying trigger kits in my CZ and XDs.
      "Ideally" but not always realistically. Many single action only semi's are still unable to replicate the 1911's awesome trigger. Good luck getting an XD to be as good as a 1911 trigger. It is almost impossible to do in a polymer framed gun. You might have a chance in a SAO CZ. But if you prefer a DA/SA, a customized CZ is among one of the best. Still not as good for most people as a 1911 trigger.
      "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

      "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

      Comment

      • #78
        Lead Waster
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Sep 2010
        • 16650

        Originally posted by Euphoria526
        Good answer.
        What about answers from people who don't pray to the 1911 every night and day.
        I would also say trigger. I have the RIA Tactical and even as a "low end" 1911, I like the trigger. I think ergos are good, but I use the rubber Hogue grips so it's comfy. I don't shoot it very well though.

        I bought it because I wanted a 1911, but I didn't want a shiny show piece that would cost 4 Glocks.

        I also have Glocks and CZs and a Ruger 22/45. My favorite is the CZ-75 SA. With comfy Hogue rubber grips on it it feels like part of my hand and shoots really well. So I'm NOT a 1911 "fanboi" but I really appreciate the trigger on the RIA. I imagine that those shiny 1911s must have even nicer triggers.

        Also, a 10 round Chip McCormick PowerMag+ fixes the "only 7 rounds" issue with 1911s ... IF it works with your 1911, which they all don't.

        It's a good gun. "Being around for 100 years" means nothing to me.
        ==================

        sigpic


        Remember to dial 1 before 911.

        Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

        There. Are. Four. Lights!

        Comment

        • #79
          SilverTauron
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2012
          • 5699

          Originally posted by Rorge Retson
          Like I said, I thought that maybe I had dismissed them too early, and needed to give them another chance - hold them a little longer in my hand, try a number of different versions, etc.

          Ideally, that type of trigger behavior could be replicated in a different firearm. It looks like what I'll be doing is trying trigger kits in my CZ and XDs.
          Entire companies are built around products sold to make other guns do what every properly built 1911 can do out of the box. Spending $650 on an XDm to buy another $50 of parts to make it shoot 7/10ths as good as a $700 Springfield 1911 makes little fiscal sense.

          Ive tried trigger kits in other guns before, and it is akin to putting a turbocharger on a Ford F150 to make it pace a Ford Mustang Cobra. You can physically do it, but the Cobra's going to be a better car for having been built to go fast from day 1.

          The way I see things, you cannot judge any firearm until you've shot it. Even people who dislike the 1911 for other platforms can't help but enjoy shooting them. You should hit a range and see why before offering any more criticism.

          The more prohibitions you have, the less virtuous people will be.
          The more subsidies you have, the less self reliant people will be.
          -Lao-Tzu, Tau Te Ching. 479 BCE

          The 1911 may have been in wars for 100 years, but Masetro Bartolomeo Beretta was arming the world 400 years before John Browning was ever a wet dream.

          Comment

          • #80
            Jack L
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            CGN Contributor
            • Oct 2010
            • 1721

            Originally posted by Merc1138
            Why do some people like 5 or 6 shot single action revolvers? Why do some people like 1-4 shot small caliber derringer type pistols?

            The gun has a lot of history, comes in models from $500 budget guns to $4,000+ show pieces. There's a lot of accessories, a lot of gunsmiths have experience working with them. It's not as if there aren't a multitude of reasons someone might like the thing.

            Then there is a matter of practicality to consider. It's great that some modern guns have a 13+ round capacity but... most people in CA are stuck with 10 anyway so downsizing that to 8 rounds in a 1911 mag isn't as much of a trade-off since you'd only be getting 10 rounds out of a full size glock, xd, sig, cz, m&p, etc. anyway.

            Other people like the ergonomics and that's entirely a matter of personal preference, but some companies have seen enough of a demand for a .45acp with a slimmer grip that they're also making guns(xds, g36, g30sf, come to mind) either because of the width alone, or they want something to carry.

            Regardless, it's not like you have to buy one yourself just because they're popular.

            Hell, if you think the demand for a 1911 is odd, I can't find a s&w 686 just to even look at in a shop(been pondering one out of curiosity, and unfortunately in the marketplace either no one ships or they include fleshlights in the ad... wtf) within a 20 mile radius(and anything on gallery of guns disappears within minutes).
            Own both. 1911 because I grew up with them as my old man was military police. S&W 686 because it's a workhorse and can walk the walk, a timeless piece that the ages do not render obsolete.

            Comment

            • #81
              AAShooter
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              CGN Contributor
              • May 2010
              • 7188

              The same principle applies but it is like this.

              Do you want to drive this:



              Or, drive this:

              Comment

              • #82
                bombadillo
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Nov 2007
                • 14810

                I'll take either if given to me!

                Comment

                • #83
                  Lead Waster
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 16650

                  ^^ I would LOVE to drive the Ferrari, I'm sure it drives circles around the Prius. However, if I'm driving to work and back and dropping off the kids at school, I want the Prius. The Ferrarri would stay in the garage/safe. I wouldn't want to pay for gas and maintenance on the ferrari either!

                  So yeah, one is a better ride but one makes more sense from a "I'm not the top 1%" point of view!
                  ==================

                  sigpic


                  Remember to dial 1 before 911.

                  Forget about stopping power. If you can't hit it, you can't stop it.

                  There. Are. Four. Lights!

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    bombadillo
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 14810

                    Its a camry, not a prius.


                    How could you mistake that for a driving suppository...

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      POINTMANDDT
                      Veteran Member
                      • Sep 2007
                      • 2530

                      Originally posted by bombadillo
                      Its a camry, not a prius.


                      How could you mistake that for a driving suppository...
                      Should be a tank lol

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        willerfortheworld
                        Banned
                        • Aug 2012
                        • 308

                        They can be reliable like a Toyota after you know your 1911. I here a lot of people say you need to break them in before they become something to bet your life on. I here you may experience ftf or fte for the first few hundred rounds or so, but when broken in they become flawless tack drivers.

                        I don't own one but I'm sure there are a few companies that make them reliable as any out of the box..?

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          socal-shooter
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2010
                          • 1521

                          1911= archaic and overly complicated by today's modern standards

                          Yup I said it

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            AAShooter
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            CGN Contributor
                            • May 2010
                            • 7188

                            Originally posted by socal-shooter
                            1911= archaic and overly complicated by today's modern standards

                            Yup I said it
                            Yes, many get confused over machines that are combat proven and time tested. It is good that more modern simpler products are available for you.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              POINTMANDDT
                              Veteran Member
                              • Sep 2007
                              • 2530

                              Originally posted by socal-shooter
                              1911= archaic and overly complicated by today's modern standards

                              Yup I said it
                              for telling it like it is...

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                joe321
                                Member
                                • May 2011
                                • 200

                                Revolvers are like those old classic pick up trucks. Glocks are like Toyotas. Sigs are like Porsches. 1911's are like Rolls Royces.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1