Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 intrigue...why?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    POINTMANDDT
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2007
    • 2530

    Originally posted by skosh69
    Yeah, 1911's really suck..that's why they've only been around for what...a hundred years???

    Who needs 15 rds of 9mm when all you really need are 7-8 rds of .45???

    No, not everone loves the 1911. Then again not everyone loves the Glock either. Wouldn't the world just suck if we all liked the same gun??? And God forbid it was a Glock...hahahah....Just kidding Glock men!

    Find a pistol you like and buy.
    We really need to go shooting soon. I'm going to convert you to the dark side

    Comment

    • #62
      willerfortheworld
      Banned
      • Aug 2012
      • 308

      I'm not the biggest fan of the 1911, but I think any major handgun collector should have at least three of them

      One classy old school 1911, one modern hi-cap w/ rails and one compact for ccw

      And what's more American then a 1911..? Its like apple pie, baseball, and freedom!

      Comment

      • #63
        stormvet
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2010
        • 12681

        I own several Glocks, a couple CZ's, M&P, SIG, HI POWER,FNP, XDm, Beretta and more that I am forgetting and they all bow and submitt to the awsomniss of my 1911s.
        Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

        Comment

        • #64
          skosh69
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2011
          • 4290

          Originally posted by POINTMANDDT
          We really need to go shooting soon. I'm going to convert you to the dark side
          Bring it on brother...does buying a Shield 9mm count as stepping towards the dark side??? hehehe

          Comment

          • #65
            Bug Splat
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2007
            • 6561

            I love 1911's for its American history and its beauty...... but I'd never carry one to war myself. The design is too complicated, low round capacity, parts do not last as long and are hard to fit and to be honest I've never seen a 1911 that was 100% beyond 5,000 rounds without parts needing to be replaced. I'm sure they exist and people will flame me for that statement but if you put a 1911, glock 17, Sig 226, M&P 40, XD9 and CZ75b on a table and asked me which would die first in a torture test my money would be on the 1911. I own a 1911 and its a fun gun to shoot but its a high maintenance pistol that does not like to be dirty and needs a box of replacement parts if you plan on shooting it a lot.

            Comment

            • #66
              IPSICK
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2005
              • 4259

              Originally posted by Bug Splat
              I love 1911's for its American history and its beauty...... but I'd never carry one to war myself. The design is too complicated, low round capacity, parts do not last as long and are hard to fit and to be honest I've never seen a 1911 that was 100% beyond 5,000 rounds without parts needing to be replaced. I'm sure they exist and people will flame me for that statement but if you put a 1911, glock 17, Sig 226, M&P 40, XD9 and CZ75b on a table and asked me which would die first in a torture test my money would be on the 1911. I own a 1911 and its a fun gun to shoot but its a high maintenance pistol that does not like to be dirty and needs a box of replacement parts if you plan on shooting it a lot.
              That's funny, I've shot thousands of rounds through my 1911 without cleaning and no hiccups. I've shot out the recoil spring in my Glock after around 5000 rounds and needed to replace it because it began to malfunction. I still feel both are reliable as long as I test them at the range for function every once in a while. All guns will need some type of maintenance after some time from use. Only safe queens are flawless and maintenance free forever.

              Btw, I have met plenty of people who don't like Glocks or 1911s. No big problem. People should be able to like and use what they want.
              "When you get the (men) to the range, you just get the men. But when you bring the (women) to the range, you get the (whole family). And that's what's going to save our 2nd Amendment."--Dianna Liedorff

              "Since self-preservation is the 1st law of nature, we assert the...right to self-defense. The Constitution...clearly affirms the right of every American...to bear arms. And as Americans, we will not give up a single right guaranteed under the Constitution." --Malcolm X

              Comment

              • #67
                Omil
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2009
                • 2130

                1911's = USA !!
                sigpic
                All Gave Some, Some Gave All...

                Comment

                • #68
                  AAShooter
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                  CGN Contributor
                  • May 2010
                  • 7188

                  Originally posted by elSquid
                  The trigger.

                  -- Michael
                  ^^^^^^ This.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    whipkiller
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 3461

                    Originally posted by FLAWLS1


                    The fact that the OP doesn't even own one, yet still feels a need to spend time and energy creating an entire thread on the subject, tells me that there is more to the story than we are hearing.

                    You own a CZ so your opinion on the 1911 doesn't count. EVERYONE knows a 1911 looks better than a CZ.
                    Well played sir, well played. I was kinda' hoping you'd see that.
                    Too many hobbies, Too little time.

                    Mind you, I'm 5'7", 180, with a visible Ab...

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      Snoopy47
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2010
                      • 3903

                      Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        1forall
                        Senior Member
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 784

                        Originally posted by Echidin
                        In short...yes, yes you are.
                        Lol...
                        "Only a fool leans upon his own misunderstanding."- Bob Marley

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          Stockton
                          Vendor/Retailer
                          • Oct 2007
                          • 1316

                          My Pros:
                          History
                          Ergonomics good
                          Looks good
                          Upgrades plenty
                          Accessories plenty
                          Fun to shoot
                          45 ballistics for humans good
                          I can afford it

                          My Cons:
                          Too heavy for conceal carry
                          May need work for some upgrades
                          May need work out of the box
                          I want more than I can afford
                          http://youtu.be/7Ii2kyQP-Is

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            POINTMANDDT
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2007
                            • 2530

                            Originally posted by skosh69
                            Bring it on brother...does buying a Shield 9mm count as stepping towards the dark side??? hehehe
                            Not until it rhymes with CLOCK lol

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Striker
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2010
                              • 750

                              Originally posted by Rorge Retson
                              I was always completely baffled by the intrigue of the 1911. I carried an A1 while in the service, and while I shot it well, I never liked it. It felt like I was holding a pinewood derby car in my hand. "Honestly," I thought, "could there be a pistol any less ergonomic?"

                              However, after hanging around CG for a while and seeing all the 1911-love making the rounds, I figured that perhaps I had missed something somewhere along the way. So, I made a trip to a LGS known for their selection of 1911s, with the full intention of walking out of there at least liking them a little more than I used to, if not owning one.

                              So what happened? I am more clueless now than ever, as to what anyone sees in a square piece of metal that shoots seven rounds of ammo. I have a feeling that I could make something nicer with a piece of billet, a drill press, and a sander (it seems that most 1911 mfrs forget the sander part).

                              Am I the only one who feels this way?
                              No, there are plenty of people that don't like the 1911. If you don't, I'm not sure why you would go to a your LGS and try to like them. I don't much have a use for SA revolvers, so I never look at them. Others love them.

                              What you're missing, at least from my point of view, is a gun that if set up and maintained correctly, can yield 2" groups at 25 yards, be just as reliable as any other pistol, and more so than most have been lately, and has the best handgun trigger compared to any other service pistol. However it doesn't seem to be the gun that you're comfortable with, so it's not.

                              Originally posted by Bongos
                              1911 why Loved

                              Reason 1: Best single acton trigger (Series 70)
                              Reason 2: Defense round...45ACP can stop a guy dead in his tracks if hit anywhere on the body
                              Reason 3: Yes, limited to 7-8 rds (though you can find extended 10rounder) but one 45ACP (230grn) equals two 9mm (115gr).. so there
                              Reason 4: Just Plain Sexxxy!!!
                              LOL.

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                Cessnapilot89
                                Senior Member
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 2002

                                Absolutely love my Colt 1911. It is an oldie at being made in 1912, Stamped US Army on the side, Finish is well worn but the pistol is still tight and shoots like no other. It is the only pistol that I have that has never given me any issues when firing. I do love my Luger and FN Browning High Power, but they just don't compare to that ancient 1911.
                                Soli Deo Gloria.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1