Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

shooting low

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • creampuff
    • Jan 2006
    • 3730

    shooting low

    How bizarre. It is not like I am new to shooting; I have been shooting since 1991. Out of nowhere, the past two times I have gone handgun shooting, I have been shooting low. It is not the gun's fault, as I have been shooting low and slightly right (I am a lefty), with the 226, HKUSP9, and 226ST (0.40).

    I guess shooting low is a sign of jerking the gun in anticipation. Don't know why I am anticipating, I was primarily shooting 9mm - very little recoil to anticipate. Time to randomly mix in some snap caps, and break the habit.

    To be honest, I haven't had much time in the past 3 months to go shooting. So I take it I lost a little muscle memory over the months.

    How have you guys compensated for jerking due to anticipation? This is embarassing to post, as the 9mm really is a very mild round. The 0.40 snaps harder, but in a heavy stainless platform it feels like a 9mm.
  • #2
    Elucidus
    Senior Member
    • Dec 2007
    • 717

    Practice your trigger pull with snap caps a lot. will help a lot with jerking your pistol.

    Comment

    • #3
      What Just Happened?
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2007
      • 2504

      I just throw in some snap caps and pull the trigger slower.

      Comment

      • #4
        RAD-CDPII
        Senior Member
        • Sep 2007
        • 996

        Put a snap cap in the pistol and a dine on the barrel, cock it and fire it. Keep doing that until you can consistantly dry fire it with the dime not moving or falling off. It's just a matter of practice.
        The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by thoes who have not got it.
        George Bernard Shaw

        AKA RAD-G27

        sigpic

        Comment

        • #5
          5968
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2006
          • 3557

          Hope this helps.
          sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
          Originally posted by hoffmang
          NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

          Comment

          • #6
            InvictusManeo
            Member
            • Dec 2007
            • 396

            I don't know about creampuff, but that definitely helps me! My suspicion is confirmed, and I AM tightening my fingers while pulling. I was shooting right on the line between there and "jerking" last time I went out. Couldn't be sure why. Thanks!
            He was a demon. He was a parasite. He was a cancer. We were the cure. And he left you for a bitter grave today. - Coalition Bear

            There's a lot of fine ways to die. I ain't waiting for the government to choose mine. - Malcolm Reynolds

            Comment

            • #7
              sloguy
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2007
              • 1999

              that chart says it pretty well. ive even seen that image printed as targets.
              ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

              Originally posted by xrMike
              She's going to get sand in her action, if she's not careful.

              Comment

              • #8
                AngelDecoys
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2008
                • 2393

                Stand up, you'll shoot higher

                Mashing is generally a trigger control or anticipating recoil issue

                +1 on chart.
                +1 on dime method.

                Also good to find a place to practice moving AND shooting (Most ranges frown on this).

                Incidently, shooting low/mashing is why (in a hypothetical gun fight) you should not crouch, but instead practice - shoot and move techniques.

                Generally under stress, you'll shoot half as well as you practice.

                Under stress, let the 'other guy' mash sending their rounds low. Better to NOT get shot, of course. But if you got to take one, better in the legs than in the thorasic cavity. Crouching just increases the odds of taking one where you don't want it.

                Hense the phrase, "stand up and fight like a man."

                My .02
                Last edited by AngelDecoys; 01-22-2008, 8:32 PM.
                Manteca Sportsmen General website.
                MS 2012 General Schedule thread look here.
                Women's Classes at the Manteca Sportsmen (2012 Schedule posted)
                Indoor Winter Rimfire Shoot. Information here

                Comment

                • #9
                  5968
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • 3557

                  Originally posted by InvictusManeo
                  I don't know about creampuff, but that definitely helps me! My suspicion is confirmed, and I AM tightening my fingers while pulling. I was shooting right on the line between there and "jerking" last time I went out. Couldn't be sure why. Thanks!
                  Glad to help out.
                  sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
                  Originally posted by hoffmang
                  NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    randy
                    In Memoriam
                    • Nov 2006
                    • 4642

                    operator error
                    I move slow but I make up for it by shooting poorly.

                    When I hit the lotto I'm only shooting factory.

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      kap
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2006
                      • 1324

                      I like the chart. Sounds like a typical problem of mashing the trigger. You just need to practice slow steady trigger pulls.
                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        creampuff
                        • Jan 2006
                        • 3730

                        Originally posted by randy
                        operator error
                        Uh thanks..but I am pretty sure that was established at the beginning.

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          5968
                          Veteran Member
                          • Nov 2006
                          • 3557

                          Originally posted by creampuff
                          Uh thanks..but I am pretty sure that was established at the beginning.
                          Some people offer all the help in the world.
                          sigpicIf you loan someone twenty dollars and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
                          Originally posted by hoffmang
                          NFA is a long ways off as well it should be. Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...-Gene

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            creampuff
                            • Jan 2006
                            • 3730

                            Originally posted by kap
                            I like the chart. Sounds like a typical problem of mashing the trigger. You just need to practice slow steady trigger pulls.
                            Yep..got the snap caps out and even tried the dime trick. In my 3 month absence from shooting, I somehow started to wrap my left hand more forward (more of a counter clockwise twist forward), and as a result had less of my trigger finger on the trigger. This caused me to push/mash down on the trigger rather than squeezing. Plus, I noticed I lowered the muzzle just a touch in anticipation.

                            Scary, how much I lost in only a 3 month break. That chart was fairly accurate in assessing what I was doing wrong (I had to flip it since I am a lefty).

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              DWill
                              Member
                              • Jan 2006
                              • 130

                              You should also ensure that your support hand (right) grip is firm around your shooting hand. If the support hand grip is weak, the recoil tends to flip up the muzzle more and the hands can separate. Shooters tend to overcompensate by squeezing the grip more with their shooting hand resulting in the low left (right handed shooters) or low right shots (left handed shooters).
                              sigpic

                              Barak getting bent!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1