Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Home defense question

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    BoJackUSMC
    Calguns Addict
    • Aug 2010
    • 7091

    Last edited by BoJackUSMC; 02-24-2014, 4:21 PM.

    Comment

    • #47
      lilro
      Senior Member
      • Sep 2011
      • 2374

      Originally posted by BoJackUSMC
      [ATTACH]151289[/ATTACH]
      They'll never see it coming.

      There is no justification for the public servant police to be more heavily armed than the law-abiding public they serve...Unless...the government's intention is to be more powerful than the people.

      Comment

      • #48
        Personmans
        Member
        • Mar 2012
        • 144

        Originally posted by dem0critus
        here's what I use:
        I hear those are only effective between 7pm and 4am. Might want to look in to other solutions for the rest of the day.

        Comment

        • #49
          TwinStick
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2012
          • 1210

          Originally posted by Bastard
          ok; I will play.

          Remington 870, sure it isn't a handgun...
          I beg to differ (ok, I know it's technically an "AOW")

          Comment

          • #50
            chopjaw
            Junior Member
            • Feb 2012
            • 82

            I think any handgun that fit's in your hand, you shoot good is the right choice. Add a laser and you are good to go. I'm not a big believer with night sights. Not for the average Joe. Unless you have training with shooting at night and how to defend at night it's just a waste of money.

            Comment

            • #51
              unusedusername
              Veteran Member
              • Sep 2008
              • 4124

              Comment

              • #52
                paul0660
                In Memoriam
                • Jul 2007
                • 15669

                The one you have shot at least four thousand rounds during earnest practices
                A lofty standard, considering one round is probably going to do the trick.
                *REMOVE THIS PART BEFORE POSTING*

                Comment

                • #53
                  locosway
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 11346

                  .22 Derringer
                  OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
                  NRA Certified Instructor
                  CA DOJ Certified Instructor
                  Glock Certified Armorer

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    ap3572001
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Jun 2007
                    • 6039

                    My old Smith and Wesson model 58 in. 41 Magnum.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      dem0critus
                      Senior Member
                      • Mar 2012
                      • 619

                      Originally posted by Personmans
                      I hear those are only effective between 7pm and 4am. Might want to look in to other solutions for the rest of the day.
                      They mostly come out at night. Mostly.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Legasat
                        Intergalactic Member
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 4151

                        Has it really been two weeks since we did this last time? LOL...
                        ..

                        .........STGC(SW)


                        SAF Life Member

                        sigpic
                        NRA Benefactor

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          chopjaw
                          Junior Member
                          • Feb 2012
                          • 82

                          I also say that if you get a handgun then put a laser on it and not to worry about night sights. Shoot the hell out of it. If you can take a class then do it.

                          Just my 2cents...

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            Socalman
                            Senior Member
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 1339

                            The first question I would ask the original poster (OP) is how often will you practice? If you are going to buy the gun, shoot one box of ammo and then keep the gun ready to use to defend your home, I would go with a revolver in .357 or at least one that will handle .38spl+P. Revolvers are simple, point, pull trigger, gun goes bang. No safety to think about, if it does not go bang, repeat step two. Autos can be another story. You better practice often, be proficient in clearing jams or fail to fires. Chances are you will be using this in home defense upon waking and your adrenaline level will be high and only the habits you have developed through training will allow you to function.

                            My suggestion is to go to a range, spend some money and rent guns. Tell them you are preparing to buy and will rent several in a given session. They may give you a price break on the gun and ammo. It is well worth the money you spend.

                            You can not have someone else tell you what is the best, only what is best for that person. The manager of a local gun shop has told me that he thinks Glocks are great, reliable firearms, yet he is not comfortable with the grip angle and does not personally like them.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              Californio
                              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                              • Dec 2006
                              • 4169

                              The one you shoot well and practice with.
                              "The California matrix of gun control laws is among the harshest in the nation and are filled with criminal law traps for people of common intelligence who desire to obey the law." - U.S. District Judge Roger T. Benitez

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                robcoe
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 8685

                                Originally posted by mackspalding
                                If you were to bet your life on one handgun, what would it be?
                                To play along, picking just a handgun, my Ruger GP100, it is the handgun I have the most rounds through(stopped counting after about 2000, probably closing in on 5k now), the one I shoot best, and the only one that has never once had a jam for any reason.

                                Overall, I would still rather have my Winchester 12ga and just duck in a corner with the weapon light on and wait for someone stupid enough to open the bedroom door.
                                Last edited by robcoe; 06-26-2012, 9:55 AM.
                                Yes, I am an electrical engineer.
                                No, I will not fix your computer.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1