Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

First Steps With a New Glock?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    compulsivegunbuyer
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2007
    • 2639

    They do sell the factory grease.

    Comment

    • #47
      zenmastar
      Member
      • Aug 2008
      • 151

      Originally posted by thatryan
      So in 9 days I will have my first handgun, a Glock 17, gen 3. What is the first order of business with a brand new gun? Besides, of course, firing it

      I have read that it should be stripped and greased right away, I have also read to not touch it and just go...

      Would appreciate any input for this new handgun owner.

      Thank you much!
      I have the exact firearm and for upgrades, I recommend:

      1- 3.5lbs trigger
      2- Glock 34 extend mag release
      3- Glock 34 extend slide release

      I believe I have the 3.5 Ghost rocket trigger. Before you install the trigger, check out the web for shortening the reset, etc.

      I do have the SS drop-in recoil rod and spring. To be honest, I would not spend money for that again.

      If you want to reload and shoot lead for more trigger time, you will need to install an aftermarket barrel. Shooting lead bullets in Glock barrels are not recommended and risky.

      For lube, I use MPro7 because I have a bottle. Don't go overboard on expensive lube as it takes money away from ammo and trigger time.

      Pistol defensive shooting classes can be money well-spent, but the holy grail for accuracy is practice, practice, practice.

      Comment

      • #48
        fullspeed1
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 1908

        Duh, First step is to sell it and buy a 1911.

        Comment

        • #49
          GKO
          Member
          • Oct 2005
          • 107

          You're good to go out of the box. I've shot all my Glocks straight from the box, no lube, no cleaning, no problems. Definitely hold off on mods until you really feel you need them as chances are you may find you don't need them. Change of sights is probably the most useful mod IMHO but the stocks ones are doable. Instead of buying modification parts, I'd be more inclined to buy spare parts for things that might break; spare trigger return springs, etc. Other than that, I'd recommend lots of ammo and range time, and a course or two.

          For ear protection, I wear foam ear plugs and muffs. Just get ones with high decibel ratings and ones that feel comfortable. For eye protection, I use safety glasses over my prescription glasses so that I don't damage my eye glasses. I started doing that a few years ago after getting hit by brass that scratched one of my lenses. In regards to a safe, the problem with one that could double as a nightstand is that unless it's somehow hidden, it would be too easy to pick out and probably cart off.

          I think the safest safes are the ones that are difficult to get into and out of sight. Do some info searches on safes. Most "safes" are not technically safes but "residential security containers" (RSC's). You'd be surprised at how easy it is for even pricey, popular RSC's to be broken into with common tools. IMHO there's a lot of mumbo jumbo when it comes to marketing of "safes".

          Comment

          • #50
            locosway
            I need a LIFE!!
            • Jun 2009
            • 11346

            Originally posted by thatryan
            So in 9 days I will have my first handgun, a Glock 17, gen 3. What is the first order of business with a brand new gun? Besides, of course, firing it

            I have read that it should be stripped and greased right away, I have also read to not touch it and just go...

            Would appreciate any input for this new handgun owner.

            Thank you much!
            Don't clean the gun!

            You can inspect the barrel for obstructions, etc, but don't clean it. Put 500+ rounds through it before you clean it. This lets the factory lube work into the gun.
            OCSD Approved CCW Instructor
            NRA Certified Instructor
            CA DOJ Certified Instructor
            Glock Certified Armorer

            Comment

            • #51
              CookieMonster
              Junior Member
              • Mar 2011
              • 74

              Talon grip panels. $10, custom cut, self-adhesive grip tape. Not too rough (I carry concealed every day, all day against my skin without it bugging me after the 1st week or two), but big improvement in grip especially when your hands get sweaty or bloody. Peel off when you want with no residue or damage to the finish. You can also do the 3M outdoor non-skid step tape, but for the time you'll spend doing it and the cost of materials, the Talon grips are well worth it and look pretty decent.

              Tritium night sights and/or a Crimson Trace laser are the only other mods worth doing IMO.

              Comment

              • #52
                tal3nt
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2012
                • 3168

                Originally posted by gsparesa
                ...and for Pete's sake, keep it away from soldering irons.
                +1!!!!!! No stippling PLZ! And I shoot better with the factory sights. Night sights are cool, but that's about it (my opinion, of course). There are only two things you need once you have your GLOCK: magazines & ammo!

                Comment

                • #53
                  thatryan
                  Member
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Apr 2012
                  • 341

                  Damn this waiting is sucky!
                  Spending all day looking crap up and reading now, just salivating in anticipation for next week, T - 7 days....
                  I build stuff for the internet

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    tal3nt
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2012
                    • 3168

                    Don't sweat it man, time is just an illusion! It'll be in your hands soon enough and you'll be able to fondle it allllll you want

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      Splash One
                      Junior Member
                      • Apr 2012
                      • 96

                      I'm fondling mine right now! Wait... that's not my Glock
                      Came here for the gun porn, stayed for the... well yeah the gun porn made me stay.

                      My posts should be taken with a grain of salt as I am in no way an expert on anything.

                      Currently interested in purchasing a Ruger 10/22 in the Santa Clara County area. Preferably the compact/wood stock version. Leapers UTG Quadrail would be a major plus.

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Splash One
                        Junior Member
                        • Apr 2012
                        • 96

                        In all seriousness... that 10 days was the longest I'd ever seen. I'd been paying the gun off bit by bit before that and it took a few months, but somehow 10 days seemed like eternity. Now that I have it, my next trip to the range always seems forever away.
                        Came here for the gun porn, stayed for the... well yeah the gun porn made me stay.

                        My posts should be taken with a grain of salt as I am in no way an expert on anything.

                        Currently interested in purchasing a Ruger 10/22 in the Santa Clara County area. Preferably the compact/wood stock version. Leapers UTG Quadrail would be a major plus.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          Jimmy310
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2009
                          • 1766

                          I recommend the trijicon night sites. They are brighter than the factory glock night sights and the tritium tubes seem clearer and better manufactured.



                          WTT: Federal hydrashock 40s&w JHP's for 9mm fmj's locally


                          http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=927721

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            SgtMerc
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2011
                            • 767

                            Originally posted by thatryan
                            Another thing I have noticed reading around is that people seem to account for every round fired through their weapon. Thus, I assume this will be a good thing to do? How do you all do that, by counting literally each shot? Tally marks on a notebook?
                            I do a round count for my 1911 and .22, and i have found it's easiest if you just go by the box. I track failure rates/causes (usually a specific magazine or the girlfriend limpwristing) and use the roundcount to figure when is a good time to do a detail strip or spring changes.

                            figure, boxes usually come in 20, 25, 50, or 100 rounds, so you'll usually have a nice round number.
                            RIP Cpl Contreras, Sgt Atwell and LtCol Raible.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              PastorPhil
                              Member
                              • Apr 2012
                              • 130

                              Congrats on your purchase! I've been lurking here for a lil while and finally signed up when I bought my G22. I know exactly how you feel! My 10 days is up TOMORROW! haha. Can't wait...

                              Comment

                              • #60
                                trew10
                                Member
                                • Mar 2012
                                • 328

                                Originally posted by Splash One
                                In the research I did before getting my own glock I saw two trains of thought toward lubing it. I chose not to do anything before taking it out to the range because as many people pointed out, glock puts some fancy special (some even say high quality) lube on it straight from the factory.

                                That said, I'm still waiting on my cleaning kit to arrive to I can give it a once over. I only put 150 rounds through it so far cuz I'm poor and ammo is more expensive and goes quicker than I thought it would.

                                EDIT: I should probably note that I'm in no way an expert on guns, but glocks seem to be foolproof. And I am definitely a fool.
                                if you want your rounds to last you longer, use 10round mags, use paper targets shooting for points. challenge a friend to best score, thus giving breaks in between shooting. resist rapid fire. don't use a speed loader. we shot over 1000 rounds of .223 with 30 rd mags in less than two hours most expensive two hours ever, learned my lesson.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1