Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

"I don't like having two trigger pulls"

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    Moto4Fun
    Senior Member
    • Feb 2009
    • 965

    This is a good conversation, and people need to be honest with themselves as to what they really want their gun for. I keep my primary gun as a nightstand gun, I travel with it, have it on hand in hotels/camping/etc. I bought a DA/SA specifically so that if things go bump in the night, I don't accidentally shoot someone who has yet to be identified as a true threat to my life or my family's well being. That being said, I do all of my shooting at targets in a lane at the range, or at a single target out on my property. I don't do tactical drills, I rarely (until recently) draw from a holster, and I am typically working on precision target shooting; so I almost always shoot in SA mode. I insert mag, rack the slide, take aim, and start shooting. Fairly accurately I might add.

    Recently I decided to test my DA pull, and simulate a draw to POA and fire. I missed the paper completely at 7 yards, and when I brought the target in to 3 yards, I found I was shooting something like 9 inches low! Now this really bothered me. I did a lot of practicing (a full box of 50) decocking between every shot. I can shoot DA ok when I take my time, but if I draw to DA, boy was I terrible. This is making me re-think my gun selection all together! I still have confidence in the DA/SA system for HD or self defense. Worst case scenario: one in the nuts, one in the head, 2 in the chest. Realistically, at 3 to 7 yards, all shots are on the torso. So I am not too worried about that, but I am wondering if a DA only or SA only might be a preferable. Maybe multiple platforms for different uses.

    I think the gun that would best suit me would be a DA/SA with a safety that would allow me to train to carry it as cocked and locked SA; but be able to leave it decocked and also have the double strike capability.

    Comment

    • #47
      Moto4Fun
      Senior Member
      • Feb 2009
      • 965

      regarding DA/SA striker fired:
      My first personal handgun was a SW99 that was a striker fired DA/SA with decocker. I don't know which p99 it compares to since they have different trigger options, but it seemed to operate essentially the same as my Sig.

      Comment

      • #48
        Shenaniguns
        Calguns Addict
        • Dec 2006
        • 6158

        Moto, if you missed using DA at 7 yards under a controlled environment at your own pace then what happens under stress with a living moving threat?
        My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

        Comment

        • #49
          BamBam-31
          CGN/CGSSA Contributor
          • Dec 2005
          • 5318

          This is why gun games are good. It forces you out of your comfort zone (slow fire at the range, single action only on DA/SA's, etc.) and into dynamic stressful situations (shooting at speed, under pressure, from draws, on the move, etc.). What works and doesn't work become immediately apparent, and what what doesn't work usually gets discarded PDQ. True, there's still no BG shooting back at you, but it nevertheless is a sobering and enlightening part of the learning process.
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #50
            Shenaniguns
            Calguns Addict
            • Dec 2006
            • 6158

            Originally posted by BamBam-31
            This is why gun games are good. It forces you out of your comfort zone (slow fire at the range, single action only on DA/SA's, etc.) and into dynamic stressful situations (shooting at speed, under pressure, from draws, on the move, etc.). What works and doesn't work become immediately apparent, and what what doesn't work usually gets discarded PDQ. True, there's still no BG shooting back at you, but it nevertheless is a sobering and enlightening part of the learning process.

            Yes it helps, but IMO training with a reputable instructor will help even more so. No matter what, IDPA, USPSA etc are still games and do not always provide sound, realistic tactics.
            My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

            Comment

            • #51
              BamBam-31
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor
              • Dec 2005
              • 5318

              Good point. All part of the learning process, I like to think. Short of an actual shootout with a BG, everything's just bits and pieces you have to put together for yourself. I've taken classes and I've shot competitions, and it's all tons of fun and educational. Highly recommended stuff for gun owners of all skill levels.

              One of the biggest eye openers for me (and therefore one of the most important lessons) is how quickly our "skill" and "accuracy" mysteriously disappear when shooting under pressure. Let an average guy at the range do an El Pres drill slow fire, and he'll probably get all Alphas. Time him, and you'll probably get a Charlie or two. Put him in a competition setting, with higher stakes and an audience, and you might even get Mikes and a fumbled mag change.

              That's when "little" things like DA/SA become not so little.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #52
                9mmepiphany
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 8075

                Originally posted by Moto4Fun
                Recently I decided to test my DA pull, and simulate a draw to POA and fire. I missed the paper completely at 7 yards, and when I brought the target in to 3 yards, I found I was shooting something like 9 inches low! Now this really bothered me. I did a lot of practicing (a full box of 50) decocking between every shot. I can shoot DA ok when I take my time, but if I draw to DA, boy was I terrible. This is making me re-think my gun selection all together! I still have confidence in the DA/SA system for HD or self defense. Worst case scenario: one in the nuts, one in the head, 2 in the chest. Realistically, at 3 to 7 yards, all shots are on the torso. So I am not too worried about that, but I am wondering if a DA only or SA only might be a preferable. Maybe multiple platforms for different uses.
                The common rule of thumb, based on data from LE shootings as well as competition is: Whatever area you can shoot into in practice, double it when you try it under stress

                That is why I practice to keep shots on a 2"x3" Post-It note at speed, including the first DA shot, so I might keep them in a 6" circle in competition.

                The trick to getting that first DA shot onto target is the stroke the trigger as you're pressing the gun out to extension and aligning your sights at the same time
                ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                Comment

                • #53
                  Moto4Fun
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2009
                  • 965

                  Originally posted by Shenaniguns
                  Moto, if you missed using DA at 7 yards under a controlled environment at your own pace then what happens under stress with a living moving threat?
                  The perp would get the first round in the nuts!

                  The reality is, I don't know what would happen in a real world scenario. I believe that if I ever have to use my handgun to defend my life, the threat would be well within 7 yards and most likely within 7 feet. I have never bought a silhouette target to see where the bad guy gets it under quick draw/rapid fire defensive shooting, but like I said in my post, when the target is at 10-15 feet, everything is on the paper, with the first round being a bit low (but still a hit in the vitals).

                  But your point is well taken, and I questioned my own ability and have even considered changing platforms.

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    Shenaniguns
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Dec 2006
                    • 6158

                    Try not to assume so much... and read 9mm's post.
                    My opinions are my own and do not represent the position of other companies I may be involved with.

                    Comment

                    • #55
                      9mmepiphany
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Jul 2008
                      • 8075

                      Originally posted by Moto4Fun
                      the threat would be well within 7 yards and most likely within 7 feet
                      I've watched a class, after practicing a CQB skill slowly a number of times, have one-third the line miss a full sized target between 2'-3' away...completely miss the target...when the instructor just said, "now, load up and do it for real". Just because the target is close doesn't insure a hit. It is something we count on when defending against a drawn gun at contact distances
                      ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        Moto4Fun
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 965

                        No doubt, these are all valid points. I am not sure what you all want me to do. I was just pointing out that for years, I have perfected my SA shooting to the point I am pretty happy with my marksmanship, only to find out that I suck when it comes time to draw and fire that first DA pull. Others might find this useful information. I recognized my problem and have gone about correcting it with more practice, or possibly changing platforms and adding more practice.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        UA-8071174-1