Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sig P226 Extractor Dislodged

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    ZNiner
    Senior Member
    • Oct 2009
    • 1030

    Here is the report from the Smith at Sig. I removed my personal info and name of the ammo manufacturer that was mentioned in the report.



    One thing I don't understand is that I have a charge for $135 on my credit card that was put on there by Sig on October 6th but there is no invoice or mention of cost anywhere on the paperwork that came back with my gun.
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #62
      fullrearview
      Calguns Addict
      • Jan 2008
      • 9371

      Originally posted by ZNinerFan
      Here is the report from the Smith at Sig. I removed my personal info and name of the ammo manufacturer that was mentioned in the report.



      One thing I don't understand is that I have a charge for $135 on my credit card that was put on there by Sig on October 6th but there is no invoice or mention of cost anywhere on the paperwork that came back with my gun.
      Thats wierd....They may have reserved the cash, but never took it, and the refund just hasent gone back. I have seen that before.


      YZernie....I LOVE sigs....Nothing better! That being said, the best, most profitable companies I have found, take things and repair them, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! I know were talking about $1,200 handguns here, but they would benifit hugely from a policy such as that.

      My Ex of 3 years, her mother was VP of Nordstrom. They had a policy like that, which she implemented, and they saw their profits and praise go through the roof.

      Sounds like there is a huge disconect between the paper pushers and those who actually make and fire the weapons.
      "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

      Comment

      • #63
        ZNiner
        Senior Member
        • Oct 2009
        • 1030

        I will call Sig customer service on Monday and see what the deal is. If they performed the repairs free of charge then I would like to post that fact for all to see.

        On another note, I took my Sig to the range and put 150 rounds through her without any hiccups. I put 100 rounds of RWS 124 gr and 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr ball ammo through her. I would have stayed a little longer but I forgot to bring my hat and didn't want to get a sun burn on my bald head.

        One thing I need to do is replace the factory sights. I have almost exclusively shot handguns with 3 dot sights and the Sig front dot with rear white bar is throwing me for a bit of a loop. It took real effort on my part to focus on my aim to get consistent grouping at 25 yards, whereas with 3 dot sights I am going strictly by muscle memory and reflex without having to focus on how the aperture is lined up.

        Stupid question to long time Sig owners regarding the factory sights. Should the front white dot and rear white bar be continuous white for everything to be lined up proper when aiming?

        Anywho, I have her cleaned and lubed from the trip and loaded up with my home defense Ammo. I will try and take her back to the range next Saturday if I can.

        Now only if my Niners can scratch out a win tomorrow night I can consider this a good weekend...
        Last edited by ZNiner; 10-09-2010, 2:03 PM.
        sigpic

        Comment

        • #64
          fullrearview
          Calguns Addict
          • Jan 2008
          • 9371

          Originally posted by ZNinerFan
          I will call Sig customer service on Monday and see what the deal is. If they performed the repairs free of charge then I would like to post that fact for all to see.

          On another note, I took my Sig to the range and put 150 rounds through her without any hiccups. I put 100 rounds of RWS 124 gr and 50 rounds of Federal 115 gr ball ammo through her. I would have stayed a little longer but I forgot to bring my hat and didn't want to get a sun burn on my bald head.

          One thing I need to do is replace to factory sights. I have almost exclusively shot handguns with 3 dot sights and the Sig front dot with rear white bar is throwing me for a bit of a loop. It took real effort on my part to focus on my aim to get consistent grouping at 25 yards, whereas with 3 dot sights I am going strictly by muscle memory and reflex without having to focus on how the aperture is lined up.

          Stupid question to long time Sig owners regarding the factory sights. Should the front white dot and rear white bar be continuous white for everything to be lined up proper when aiming?

          Anywho, I have her cleaned and lubed from the trip and loaded up with my home defense Ammo. I will try and take her back to the range next Saturday if I can.

          Now only if my Niners can scratch out a win tomorrow night I can consider this a good weekend...
          I agree on the sights.....next thing for my xdm is night sights.....the standard 3 dot are good for day time, but Im so used to night sights.

          Yeah....I bet by the time you call them monday, you will see that fee has been returned.
          "Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."~M.Twain~

          Comment

          • #65
            9mmepiphany
            Calguns Addict
            • Jul 2008
            • 8075

            Originally posted by ZNinerFan
            ...without having to focus on how the aperture is lined up.
            Do you mean the notch of the rear sight?

            Stupid question to long time Sig owners regarding the factory sights. Should the front white dot and rear white bar be continuous white for everything to be lined up proper when aiming?
            Correctly aligned sights will have the front blade centered in the rear notch with the top of the front blade level with the top of the ears of the rear sight. The dot and bar are meant as alignment aids, not as aiming points...but then neither are the 3-dots
            ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

            Comment

            • #66
              ZNiner
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 1030

              Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
              Do you mean the notch of the rear sight?



              Correctly aligned sights will have the front blade centered in the rear notch with the top of the front blade level with the top of the ears of the rear sight. The dot and bar are meant as alignment aids, not as aiming points...but then neither are the 3-dots
              When I aim with 3 dot sights, the 3 dots are literally on a level horizontal plane when looking at them from the rear.

              What is hard for me, is that I am having trouble achieving that level plane with the white front dot and rear white bar. I can tell you right now, that my shots were a bit on the low side until I really focused on making sure the white was smack dab in the middle of the ears of the rear sight.

              Edit

              Another question - So then what role does the white bar play in relation to alignment with the front white dot? For some reason I was thinking, that the gun was level horizontally and vertically if the white dot and white bar were a perfect continuous white stripe when looking at them from behind but that didn't appear to be the case. I found myself either shooting too low or too high of what I was aiming at.
              Last edited by ZNiner; 10-09-2010, 2:33 PM.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #67
                9mmepiphany
                Calguns Addict
                • Jul 2008
                • 8075

                The technique is usually called Dotting the I...it's primary attribute is limiting lateral despersion. To determine the correct relationship, just align your sights using the blades and observe the relationship between the dot and the bar.

                The advantage of the Dot the I sight set over the 3-Dot sight set is two-fold:
                1. they are faster for you sub-conscious to recognize as being aligned
                2. it is easier to ignore the rear bar than the two rear dots when shooting fast and dirty
                ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                Comment

                • #68
                  yzErnie
                  CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                  CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                  • Mar 2007
                  • 6310

                  Originally posted by fullrearview
                  YZernie....I LOVE sigs....Nothing better! That being said, the best, most profitable companies I have found, take things and repair them, NO QUESTIONS ASKED! I know were talking about $1,200 handguns here, but they would benifit hugely from a policy such as that.
                  I would like to think they would cover it and my experience with Sig CS is they very well may never place the charge on his card. The reality is though, with the diagnosis being the ammo failure they are under no obligation to repair the gun under warranty. I'm anxious to see what the outcome is. Monday is a holiday and they may not be in the offices. My usual weekly e-mail from my rep that comes on Monday mornings came on Friday this week.
                  The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

                  Originally posted by RazoE
                  I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    BostonFan
                    Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 256

                    My sig 229 did pretty much the same thing to me except the extractor exploded. No ftf other than the one time. Happened around 200 rounds. Called up sig and they sent me a new extractor for free. No issues since. They said it was I probably over-lubed the gun

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      docflash
                      Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 235

                      Originally posted by ZNinerFan
                      I am hoping that upon completely stripping the handgun they find some manufacturer defect so glaringly obvious that they fix it for free.

                      If not I will pay and hope that it ends up being the reliable handgun I wanted it to be.

                      I didn't even have the gun in my possession for a whole 24 hours...looks like my 10 day wait will end up being a 30 day wait...

                      I was also informed by the Sig Customer Service Rep, that my replacing the factory grips with Hogue rubber grips technically had already voided my warranty but that I should just put the factory grips back on before I sent the gun back to them, which I did.


                      Originally posted by fsx
                      This is getting more and more ridiculous. Wonder what would glock do to their customers. I am planning buying a sig next month, and this incident is seriously scaring me.
                      The reason that replacing the grips technically voids the warranty is that grip screws of the wrong length will impinge on the trigger bar spring and cause a malfunction.

                      Jeff
                      Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P-Series Pistols
                      Sig Sauer Certified Armorer, P320 Pistol

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        ZNiner
                        Senior Member
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 1030

                        I received the invoice from Sig today. It was the full breakdown of the $135 charge for the repairs.
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          davebee456
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2010
                          • 2

                          After 40 rounds fired at the range today My Excellent P-226R Failed, only 2nd trip ever with this pistol.
                          The 226 Jammed up bad while firing, I did a tap rack and I had to strip the mag out..
                          I looked closer and I see the empty case is still in the chamber and my P226R doesnt have an extractor or pin or extractor spring anymore...

                          After around 200 rounds total the gun is a paper weight.

                          I called the range officer over and we examined the empty case that was in the chamber and like an idiot I didnt keep it. After I pulled it out with my finger nail it looked fine, It was Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ however I was worried i now have a $780.00 paper weight.

                          I called Sig and sent it back to them, The rep on the phone told me this happens and every time it has happened its been the ammo's fault.

                          I told the rep i never ever fire reloads and this is very frustrating.
                          They told me that a gunsmith will examine the pistol to see if it was ammo related failure which I am sure they will say it was.

                          If Ammo related i will have to pay 200 dollars or more for a gun i will be selling, if they fix it for free under warranty i will give it another 200 rounds to see if any thing else fails.

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            g17owner
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2007
                            • 881

                            I would never buy a new SIG. They don't make them like the older ones nor do they stand behind their product like they did in the 90's. I am speaking from personal experience not the OP's incident. I have a German 1996 P220 and it is superb. The P220 combat i had bought to replace it was NOT anything like the older one. I promptly replaced it with a W. german P226 with internal extractor. (dont get me started on the internal vs external extractor issue on sigs) I just dont trust or like the newer sig. The phrase "they don't make them like they used to" is so true with the newer sigs.

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              Arondos
                              Senior Member
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 1340

                              I was debating between a P226 and a Glock chambered in .357sig.

                              After reading things like installing grips voids your warranty and the first thing they seem to do is jump on blame the ammo I think I will look for another companies product.

                              Maybe I'll try the Glock kool-Aid.
                              USN (SS) Retired
                              NRA/American Legion life member
                              "A shoot-out is better than a massacre!"
                              - David M. Bennett

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                ZNiner
                                Senior Member
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 1030

                                Originally posted by davebee456
                                After 40 rounds fired at the range today My Excellent P-226R Failed, only 2nd trip ever with this pistol.
                                The 226 Jammed up bad while firing, I did a tap rack and I had to strip the mag out..
                                I looked closer and I see the empty case is still in the chamber and my P226R doesnt have an extractor or pin or extractor spring anymore...

                                After around 200 rounds total the gun is a paper weight.

                                I called the range officer over and we examined the empty case that was in the chamber and like an idiot I didnt keep it. After I pulled it out with my finger nail it looked fine, It was Federal American Eagle 124gr FMJ however I was worried i now have a $780.00 paper weight.

                                I called Sig and sent it back to them, The rep on the phone told me this happens and every time it has happened its been the ammo's fault.

                                I told the rep i never ever fire reloads and this is very frustrating.
                                They told me that a gunsmith will examine the pistol to see if it was ammo related failure which I am sure they will say it was.

                                If Ammo related i will have to pay 200 dollars or more for a gun i will be selling, if they fix it for free under warranty i will give it another 200 rounds to see if any thing else fails.
                                Sorry to hear that happened to you. It sounds like the exact same thing that happened to my Sig, although my extractor was dislodged and not blown out completely. Glad you weren't hurt by any flying debris. I know you don't have your spent case but do you remember where the location of the failure/bulge/deformity was when you pulled the case out?

                                I never pursued getting a reimbursement by the ammo manufacturer because I didn't think it was worth the headache but you could get in touch with Federal once you get the Smith's letter and see if they are willing to cover the repair costs.

                                I wonder why they are charging you $200 for what it sounds like they charged me $135 for?

                                For what it's worth, I have put another 400 rounds through my Sig post repair without any issues.

                                I considered selling my Sig and buying a Glock 17 but I just don't like polymer framed handguns or grip angle on Glocks.
                                Last edited by ZNiner; 11-19-2010, 4:32 AM.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1