Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Sig P226 Extractor Dislodged

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    yzErnie
    CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
    • Mar 2007
    • 6310

    I can't tell from the OPs pic what brand the round was that split. Obviously not a Wolf. Can you advise and not a slam but maybe get a more in focus pic for me to look at? Thanks!!
    The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

    Originally posted by RazoE
    I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

    Comment

    • #32
      RRichie09
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2010
      • 2592

      Originally posted by yzernie
      Wow, sure is a lot of negativity directed at Sig and they have not yet determined if it is a gun related failure. In all of the Sigs I have sold, I have only had to send one back for a customer for a minor non-function related repair. I hate to see folks screaming the sky is falling when a decision has not been made as of yet. How about if we wait and see what the outcome is at Sig.

      Actually, it kind of sounds like Sig has already determined the cause of the problem. Hopefully, the person on the phone is just reading a script and Sig will do the right thing if indeed it is a manufacturing defect and not an ammo problem as they stated. Still, why would it be Sig's policy to blame the ammo before even looking at the gun. That part just doesn't sit right with me.


      Originally posted by ZNinerFan
      I called Sig and they said I need to get in touch with the ammo manufacturer to have them pay for the repairs as it is an ammo related failure.
      Originally posted by ZNinerFan
      I was told that the issue with my firearm was an ammunition problem and that it wasn't covered under the warranty. However, since the ammo was SAAMI spec factory ammo that the manufacturer should cover repair costs.

      I asked about what my warranty actually covered and if my ruptured case was related to the FTE issues I had been experiencing but was told no. Factory warranty covers all function and defect issues, not failures related to ammo.

      Comment

      • #33
        yzErnie
        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
        • Mar 2007
        • 6310

        Originally posted by RRichie09
        Actually, it kind of sounds like Sig has already determined the cause of the problem. Hopefully, the person on the phone is just reading a script and Sig will do the right thing if indeed it is a manufacturing defect and not an ammo problem as they stated. Still, why would it be Sig's policy to blame the ammo before even looking at the gun. That part just doesn't sit right with me.
        In all honesty, the folks that answer the phones are no different than the people who answer the phone at the Ford dealer when you call with a problem, they are trying to see if you'll pay for a repair. The real guys that work on the guns have the final decision and I am confident if it was a gun related failure they will do what is right. Their customer service isn't what it used to be a couple years back when SigArms was in charge and now that Sig Sauer has reestablished themselves with the company the CS has gotten better.
        The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

        Originally posted by RazoE
        I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

        Comment

        • #34
          RRichie09
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2010
          • 2592

          Originally posted by yzernie
          In all honesty, the folks that answer the phones are no different than the people who answer the phone at the Ford dealer when you call with a problem, they are trying to see if you'll pay for a repair. The real guys that work on the guns have the final decision and I am confident if it was a gun related failure they will do what is right. Their customer service isn't what it used to be a couple years back when SigArms was in charge and now that Sig Sauer has reestablished themselves with the company the CS has gotten better.
          Well, that is good to know. I understand that Sig is a large company and the CS people do not represent the gun smiths, but I know that if I was in charge of Sig I would make sure that the people on the phone did not make statements they are obviously not qualified to make. The firearm should be inspected before the cause is determined, but then again that is probably why people do not seem to like Ron Cohen very much.

          I am watching this thread closely as I would really like to purchase a P226 in the near future.

          I'm pulling for you Zniner, even if you are a 9'ers fan.

          Comment

          • #35
            P95
            Junior Member
            • Aug 2010
            • 65

            ZNinerFan,

            You mentioned that you had experienced several FTE's. Several Calgun members have had problems with FTE's and strange ejection patterns (casings hitting in the face) with new SP2022's purchased from Turner's recent sales (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=321860 ). Sig replaced the ejectors in some of the guns that were sent in for inspection.
            Last edited by P95; 09-05-2010, 12:25 PM.

            Comment

            • #36
              ZNiner
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2009
              • 1030

              I think Ernie did a good job describing what happened. When I fired the round in the handgun, the slide did not recoil back and my face was peppered with gunpowder residue and escaping gases.

              I immediately realized that something had happened so I removed the mag and then looked the gun over and realized the extractor was blown out. After that I racked back the slide and noted the ruptured case stuck in the chamber.

              I went ahead and removed the slide from the frame and came home and tapped out the case. After which I took the pictures and posted up here.

              One thing that I am wondering about is if the FTE issues and the ruptured case are related in any way or if I just got a double whammy of bad luck with extractor drama and a hot load on a round in the same day.

              As an aside, always wear your safety glasses when you shoot guns. I am glad I wore mine (I always do) as I would have had more serious problems to deal with than just a blown out extractor on a handgun. I heard the powder grains hitting my safety glasses and I don't relish the idea of what would have happened had I not been wearing them.

              To everyone, like I mentioned earlier, I don't want this to be a Sig bashing thread. I can tell you I was impressed with the fit and finish on the handgun, the trigger was light and crisp, and I am hoping that once whatever is wrong with the handgun is fixed, that it will be the reliable handgun that I hoped it would be. I don't mind paying out of pocket to get the handgun fixed and I am not placing blame on the handgun or ammo manufacturer.

              When I originally posted, I wanted to know if anyone had a similar experience and if they could offer any advice on how to get my handgun fixed.

              The customer service rep took all of my information over the phone and 5 minutes later I had my UPS label sitting in my email as an attachment. After 20 minutes the handgun was dropped off to UPS and en route to Sig for repairs. I was quoted a 3 week turnaround on the repair.

              I will update this thread as soon as I hear back from the folks over at Sig.

              **Edit**

              For the record, my Niners are going to take the NFC West crown...
              Last edited by ZNiner; 09-05-2010, 5:44 AM. Reason: Niner prediction
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #37
                RRichie09
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2010
                • 2592

                Originally posted by ZNinerFan
                For the record, my Niners are going to take the NFC West crown...
                I hope everything works out for the best regarding your sig.

                As for your niners... I guess making the playoffs by default after 8 years would be a nice achievement.

                Comment

                • #38
                  VictorFranko
                  I need a LIFE!!
                  • Jan 2010
                  • 13737

                  Bummer about your new Sig, and a surprising attitude from their service department.
                  Funny, if this had been a Glock, this thread would be riddled with folks posting "You should have bought a Sig" comments.
                  So let me be the first: You should have bought a Glock

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    cpt_majestic
                    Member
                    • Jun 2010
                    • 231

                    Originally posted by yzernie
                    In all honesty, the folks that answer the phones are no different than the people who answer the phone at the Ford dealer when you call with a problem, they are trying to see if you'll pay for a repair. The real guys that work on the guns have the final decision and I am confident if it was a gun related failure they will do what is right. Their customer service isn't what it used to be a couple years back when SigArms was in charge and now that Sig Sauer has reestablished themselves with the company the CS has gotten better.
                    Couldn't of said it better myself. I'm sure Sig will do what's right once they get it in the shop. If they give you trouble once they get it I'd demand manager/supervisor, heck owner, to discuss it.
                    Maybe it's just me, but I hate stupid people!

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      cineski
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Nov 2007
                      • 6205

                      Don't read so much into a corporate name game. It's still the exact same company. They just changed their name from SIG Arms to SIG Sauer. Oh, and there's also differences in auto customer service which is why I refused to buy certain brands (based on the treatment of customers locally).

                      Originally posted by yzernie
                      In all honesty, the folks that answer the phones are no different than the people who answer the phone at the Ford dealer when you call with a problem, they are trying to see if you'll pay for a repair. The real guys that work on the guns have the final decision and I am confident if it was a gun related failure they will do what is right. Their customer service isn't what it used to be a couple years back when SigArms was in charge and now that Sig Sauer has reestablished themselves with the company the CS has gotten better.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        yzErnie
                        CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
                        CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                        • Mar 2007
                        • 6310

                        ZNF,
                        Did you send the split case with the gun? If not, any chance you can post or send me a more in focus close up of it?

                        Please keep us updated. I'll send you a PM also.
                        The satisfaction of a job well done is to be the one who has done it

                        Originally posted by RazoE
                        I don't feel a thing when some cop gets ghosted.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Bullwinkle
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2008
                          • 565

                          On the "News" section of Sig's website is an announcement that NCIS just upgraded their 15-year-old M11's (P228) to the P229 .40. I found the following quote amusing when put into the context of this thread. This is the NCIS representative talking. I added the bold typeface for emphasis.
                          "As a federal law enforcement agency with a worldwide mission and presence, we are thrilled that SIG SAUER has been identified to supply our new generation of handguns. NCIS special agents have been carrying the SIG SAUER M11 pistol for almost 15 years, and we are excited that the Department of the Navy is making this investment to upgrade our weapons to insure that our operators are better equipped. I am also very impressed with SIG SAUER, Inc., President and CEO, Ron Cohen, and his team. It is clear that their "customer first" approach has already paved the way for a continued and superb partnership."

                          Maybe it should be changed to "high-volume customer first approach"? Anyway, like everyone else here, I hope ZNinerFan is treated the way he deserves... er, by Sig w.r.t. his pistol, that is. Being a niner's fan, well, he deserves a different kind of treatment from everyone else!

                          As an aside... if you've been following the SigPro thread, I'm one of the unfortunate souls who purchased one of the lemons. So far (knock on wood), Sig CS has been absolutely professional, courteous, and exactly what I would expect from a highly-reputable manufacturer like Sig. They received my pistol earlier this morning according to the tracking info, so now it's wait-and-see mode for whether they get the problem fixed.
                          John

                          Factory Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
                          P.O.S.T. Certified Armorer: 1911 pistols, AR-15/M16/M4 weapon systems, Glock handguns, Remington 870 shotgun, Sig Sauer handguns.
                          Certified Sig Sauer P320 Armorer

                          Let's Go Brandon

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            GutPunch
                            Senior Member
                            • Feb 2010
                            • 2228

                            <tag>

                            Might be going Glock or Springfield after all...
                            "...That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government..." - Thomas Jefferson
                            "Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people." - John Adams
                            "A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury." - Alexis de Tocqueville

                            Proud Contributing Member:
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              9mmepiphany
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 8075

                              Originally posted by Bullwinkle
                              I hope ZNinerFan is treated the way he deserves... er, by Sig w.r.t. his pistol, that is...

                              So far (knock on wood), Sig CS has been absolutely professional, courteous, and exactly what I would expect from a highly-reputable manufacturer like Sig.
                              While I think it would be nice if Sig covered the repairs, the fact that they aren't doesn't make them less than absolutely professional. as a matter of fact, it could be argued that it is exactly what makes them professional...they are living up to their responsibilities as defined by their warranty

                              there was a weapon failure that was not due to any defect in design or workmanship, but due to the user's selection of ammo. this defect and the resulting damage/repair should lay squarely at the feet of the ammo manufacturer. that the OP has decided to cover this cost, rather than pursue it with the responsible party is solely his decision

                              How would that make Sig less professional...not as accommodating perhaps, but I don't think we should project a sense of entitlement into it
                              ...because the journey is the worthier part...The Shepherd's Tale

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                Bullwinkle
                                Senior Member
                                • May 2008
                                • 565

                                Originally posted by 9mmepiphany
                                there was a weapon failure that was not due to any defect in design or workmanship

                                How would that make Sig less professional
                                It wouldn't... but it's a chicken & egg thing. You're assuming bad ammo blew out the extractor, whereas I'm "wondering" if the extraction problems ZNiner was having prior to the rupture somehow contributed to it. W/o examining the pistol first, no determination can be made.

                                So I guess the "professional" way to have handled it on Sig's end is to say, "Yeah, we'll repair it under warranty if we determine that it is our fault, but just so you know, if we don't determine that it was a defective pistol, then you'll have to pay for the repairs out-of-pocket and take it up with the ammo manufacturer after the fact."

                                Or to really make it easy on the customer, Sig could contact the ammo manufacturer directly on ZNiner's behalf.

                                Speaking from experience, there's nothing worse (well, almost nothing) than being an innocent victim caught in the middle of two monstrosities each blaming the other. [In my case it was a health care issue in which the two entities involved were super-monstrosities... health insurance and health care providers.]
                                Last edited by Bullwinkle; 09-07-2010, 1:29 PM.
                                John

                                Factory Certified Sig Sauer Armorer
                                P.O.S.T. Certified Armorer: 1911 pistols, AR-15/M16/M4 weapon systems, Glock handguns, Remington 870 shotgun, Sig Sauer handguns.
                                Certified Sig Sauer P320 Armorer

                                Let's Go Brandon

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1