Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

My new ruger is disappointing...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    bballwizard05
    Veteran Member
    • Sep 2009
    • 3323

    Originally posted by morfeeis
    Ll this sucks I have a p95 in ten dayjail as we speak/type, let us know how it turns out.......


    stay calm, rugers are pimp. looks like this one was a bad apple

    Comment

    • #32
      PsychGuy274
      Veteran Member
      • May 2010
      • 4289

      Originally posted by killmime1234
      From what I've read, rugers are supposed to be darn near indestructible and eat anything you feed it.</exaggerated a little>

      In any case, my new P95 has less than 200 rounds through it and now it keeps failing to feed and/or failing to eject. At first it would fail to eject EVERY round, then after field stripping and giving it a decent blow/wipe (I was out in the woods without access to a kit) it began to mostly eject correctly and instead failed to feed EVERY round.

      So I took her back to my campsite and gave her a thorough cleaning and took it out the next day. This time, no failure to feeds but it did fail to eject about once per magazine (and never the same round # so I know it's not a magazine spring tension issue).

      The other thing I noticed is what appears to be rust! This is a gun that's less than four months old and has been kept in the same safe as two other guns that have no sign of rusting, probably because I have loads of silica gel pouches in there. The "rust" was coming out as a dirty-copper colored ooze from the safety/deocker. I cleaned it out as best I could but I'm not sure how to disassemble the safety assembly.

      The only common factor to all of this is new ammo. It's PMC 119Gr--admittedly poor quality ammo but it certainly isn't the worst. I haven't taken it out again since all these issues have started.

      Has anyone else had these issues or any good advice? I'm gonna try different ammo next time I go out to see if it improves.
      I've had my P95 for about a year now and I've never had a problem with it.

      Seems like you fixed the FTF by cleaning it. The FTEs are probably due to user error (i.e. limp wristing) or you have a bad extractor.

      I almost exclusively shoot cheap/crappy ammo out of it and I've never had a problem in over 1,000 rounds.
      I am a law enforcement officer in the state of Colorado. Nothing I post is legal advice of any kind.

      CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

      CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training

      Comment

      • #33
        tankerman
        I need a LIFE!!
        • Mar 2006
        • 24240

        Nothing surprising here, it's a Ruger.

        Ruger = Poorly built and ugly

        Comment

        • #34
          GM4spd
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2008
          • 5682

          Originally posted by tankerman
          Nothing surprising here, it's a Ruger.

          Ruger = Poorly built and ugly
          I hear that. Pete

          Comment

          • #35
            slobson
            Senior Member
            • Mar 2010
            • 543

            Originally posted by tankerman
            Nothing surprising here, it's a Ruger.

            Ruger = Poorly built and ugly
            Originally posted by GM4spd
            I hear that. Pete
            OP-pay no attention to the , yours is the exception not the rule
            "The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
            -Patrick Henry

            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post11240879

            http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=754181

            Comment

            • #36
              Rob454
              CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
              CGN Contributor - Lifetime
              • Feb 2006
              • 11254

              Originally posted by slobson
              OP-pay no attention to the , yours is the exception not the rule
              This^^^
              Ive owned three rugers. P85 P90 P345. NONE of them have ever had any problems. I sold the P90 and P345 because I simply was not shooting them not because they were unreliable. I kept the P85. Ive had that the longest and shot it the most. its been very very reliable. The ONLY time I had a problem was with some PMC ammo I got from turners a long time ago. the gun indented the primers but did not fire. Had no problem with the reloaded ammo I bought at the range other mil sup ammo or bulk reloads or factory new ammo.
              My ruger has shot 99.99% of the ammo i put through it with the exception of that one box. but its ok I bought a box of 30-06 from the same maker and it did the same thing.
              Rugers may not be the sexiest guns out there but they are reliable. More reliable than some high end guns. They just dont look all tactical high speed low drag

              Comment

              • #37
                23 Blast
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2009
                • 3754

                Yeah really. Yes, ruger semiauto pistols are generally ugly, but if there's one thing Ruger has more or less staked their reputation on, it's been reliable, dependable firearms at reasonable prices. I've got 4 Rugers, and unlike many of my other guns, all four have worked darn near flawlessly w/o modifications, right out of the box.
                "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
                [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

                Comment

                • #38
                  Booshanky
                  In Memoriam
                  • Dec 2007
                  • 7822

                  Originally posted by killmime1234
                  From what I've read, rugers are supposed to be darn near indestructible and eat anything you feed it.</exaggerated a little>

                  In any case, my new P95 has less than 200 rounds through it and now it keeps failing to feed and/or failing to eject. At first it would fail to eject EVERY round, then after field stripping and giving it a decent blow/wipe (I was out in the woods without access to a kit) it began to mostly eject correctly and instead failed to feed EVERY round.

                  So I took her back to my campsite and gave her a thorough cleaning and took it out the next day. This time, no failure to feeds but it did fail to eject about once per magazine (and never the same round # so I know it's not a magazine spring tension issue).

                  The other thing I noticed is what appears to be rust! This is a gun that's less than four months old and has been kept in the same safe as two other guns that have no sign of rusting, probably because I have loads of silica gel pouches in there. The "rust" was coming out as a dirty-copper colored ooze from the safety/deocker. I cleaned it out as best I could but I'm not sure how to disassemble the safety assembly.

                  The only common factor to all of this is new ammo. It's PMC 119Gr--admittedly poor quality ammo but it certainly isn't the worst. I haven't taken it out again since all these issues have started.

                  Has anyone else had these issues or any good advice? I'm gonna try different ammo next time I go out to see if it improves.
                  I have a P95 that's finnicky as well. I'm actually the only person I know who can shoot it right. I'll go to the range, give the gun to my friend, and he'll pull the trigger and get a stovepipe or some other malfunction. I'll clear it, fire off two or three rounds without issue, hand it to him, and BOOM, instant malfunction.

                  Go figure huh?
                  "Please use the comments to demonstrate your own ignorance, unfamiliarity with empirical data, ability to repeat discredited memes, and lack of respect for scientific knowledge. Also, be sure to create straw men and argue against things I have neither said nor even implied. Any irrelevancies you can mention will also be appreciated. Lastly, kindly forgo all civility in your discourse . . you are, after all, anonymous."
                  -Barry Ritholtz


                  Help be a better advocate for the 2nd Amendment here.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    23 Blast
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • 3754

                    Originally posted by Booshanky
                    I have a P95 that's finnicky as well. I'm actually the only person I know who can shoot it right. I'll go to the range, give the gun to my friend, and he'll pull the trigger and get a stovepipe or some other malfunction. I'll clear it, fire off two or three rounds without issue, hand it to him, and BOOM, instant malfunction.

                    Go figure huh?
                    Sounds like Ruger is way ahead of the curve with that "DNA recognition software function lock" technology!

                    Further proof that Ruger is kowtowing to the antis!

                    Boycott! Boycott!
                    "Two dead?!? HOW?!?"
                    [sigh] "Bullets, mortar fire, heavy artillery salvos, terminal syphilis, bad luck --- the usual things, Captain."

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      WWDHD?
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 2728

                      I bought my P95 last Nov. I noticed it was very tightly put together when I broke it down for cleaning before I shot it the first time. I never had any FTF or eject problems but I did have a few times where the slide didn't lock back on the last round. I was using Rem UMC for the first 200-300 rds. Since then I've only used Winchester or Federal FMJs and its been perfect. I think it takes a few hundred rds to loosen up. I might even try the Rem UMC again to see if it does it again.
                      Try some other ammo brands and shoot it some more before you send it back. Ruger will take care of you, but they will probably tell you to put a few more rounds through it. This is a great bargain priced gun thats also US made with a lifetime warranty. Enjoy it and good luck.
                      NRA & CRPA member
                      semi-docile tax payer
                      amateur survivalist

                      Nolite te bastardes carborundorum!

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        slobson
                        Senior Member
                        • Mar 2010
                        • 543

                        Originally posted by 23 Blast
                        Sounds like Ruger is way ahead of the curve with that "DNA recognition software function lock" technology!

                        Further proof that Ruger is kowtowing to the antis!

                        Boycott! Boycott!
                        I know your post was tongue in cheek, but that has been one of the few honest criticisms of the company over the years, that old man ruger didn't think civvies were worthy of high capacity mags, although it seems the company has shifted that somewhat since his departure. I hope they continue to do so as buying a high quality product always feels better when its made in America
                        "The constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government."
                        -Patrick Henry

                        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...9#post11240879

                        http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=754181

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          Nor-Cal
                          Senior Member
                          • Sep 2009
                          • 1235

                          My first handgun is my ruger p95 I've had it since no problems very good gun out of the box and I shoot it very frequently. Let us know how all this works out.
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            nonosrcng
                            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
                            • Jun 2008
                            • 151

                            I just "love" people who wont buy a brand based on its appearance, so they have no idea of what they are talking about< and then bad mouth them for being poorly built. I have 6 Rugers, the newest is 2 months and the oldest is pushing 20 years. NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM! I clean them after every use, I only buy Federal or Winchester when i need to buy. I reload everything else. I have had an Springfield XD40 subcompact for a little over a year and it likes to lock open when its not empty. It needs to be broken in to work out the burs, probably the same goes for your P95. Dont sweat it, it is a quality piece.
                            He who dies with the most guns, was a terrible shot!

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              barbasol
                              • Feb 2010
                              • 954

                              I have about a thousand rounds through my p95. Never had a problem and my buddy likes it better than his g17 due to reliability. After I cleaned it the first time I didn't have the extractor down and I locked up the slide. I called ruger and they had a tech on the phone in a minute and walked me through how to fix it. Very helpful. Give them a call
                              Free Loan Modification Review and Short Sale Info for any Calgunners in Socal. PM me for details
                              15% commission rebate and 5% donation to Calguns Foundation for any closed home sale by a Calgunner or referral. PM for details*subject to lender approval

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                morfeeis
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Apr 2010
                                • 7605

                                Originally posted by tankerman
                                Nothing surprising here, it's a Ruger.

                                Ruger = Poorly built and ugly
                                if only we had more folks like you the world would be a great place..............................













                                to blow up. add info or keep moving
                                ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
                                Originally posted by Ayn Rand
                                You seek escape from pain. We seek the achievement of happiness. You exist for the sake of avoiding punishment. We exist for the sake of earning rewards. Threats will not make us function; fear is not our incentive. It is not death we wish to avoid, but life that we wish to live.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1