Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 03-25-2011, 10:29 PM
Veteran Member

Default I Just Owned San Diego Sheriff's Office

As some of you know San Diego has had the illegal requirement of requiring CCW applicants to provide three character references. After several months of emailing them about it, they finally changed it.

I thought this whole thing was going to be pointless, but this goes to show that a little persistence and knowledge of the law goes a long way!

Below are the emails we've sent back and forth.

This is the first email that I sent out on 12-24-10.

Quote:
Hello,

I have been reviewing the 'Carry Concealed Weapon' licensing process for San Diego County and I recently noticed a problem. The problem is located on this website -> http://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

Under the "documentation" subsection there are a list of three requirements. The last two are of concern to me.

(2) "Three character reference letters are required to assist in substantiating good moral character."
(3) "These letters must be written by local residents and contain a local address and phone number. Letters will not be accepted from any relatives. The writer must also acknowledge he or she understands the letter is for an application for a concealed weapons license."

Based on reading the Penal Code (specifically sections 12050-12054) I noticed that requiring an applicant to supply 'character references' is actually an illegal requirement.

12051(a)(3)(C) of the California Penal Code states, "An applicant shall not be required to complete any additional application or form for a license, or to provide any information other than that necessary to complete the standard application form described in subparagraph (A), except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form."

Additionally, 12054(d) of the California Penal Code states, "Except as authorized pursuant to subdivisions (a), (b), and (c), no requirement, charge, assessment, fee, or condition that requires the payment of any additional funds by the applicant may be imposed by any licensing authority as a condition of the application for a license."

I strongly recommend that you read through this document -> http://www.calgunsfoundation.org/dow..._CCW_Guide.pdf for further information on California's CCW issuance laws.

I would appreciate a return email when this matter has been taken care of.

Thank you very much for your time,

Concerned Citizen
Within a few hours I got this reply.

Quote:
Good Afternoon,

I will forward your message to our License Division. If they desire any changes to the website content, I will be happy to take care of it for them. Thanks for writing.
I immediately replied. I know I got a little harsh on this next part, but I got really upset at the previous response.

Quote:
I don't mean to sound brash, but to state, "If they desire," Implies that they have a choice; which they do not. This is not about a random, arbitrary rule that I personally disagree with; this is the law. And San Diego Sheriffs Department is a government run law enforcement agency. They are currently requiring something from applicants that is illegal.

I'm sorry, but they don't have a choice and what they "desire" to do is completely irrelevant; they have to change it.
I received this reply about an hour later.

Quote:
In being brief I may have over-simplified my answer to you. It would have been more complete to say that I have forwarded your message to the License Division and to the Sheriff's Legal Advisor. They will have an opportunity to evaluate what you have submitted, and if they determine a change to policy or website content is warranted, I will be happy to make the change on the web. I don't doubt the sincerity of your opinion, but we rely on the legal advice of our legal counsel in setting or revising policy. Thanks again.
Fast forward three months. At this point I kind of forgot about it for a while. Yesterday I remembered it and checked out the website and noticed that they hadn't changed it. I decided to email them again.

Quote:
Hello,

It has been three months to the day since our last correspondence and I am curious as to the progress of the changes to your policies. In reviewing the CCW application website I have noticed that the illegal requirement of having three character references has not been eliminated. While this greatly concerns me I understand that there must have been an oversight or there have been more important matters at hand. However, I feel that as a law enforcement agency, you must take every precaution to ensure that your guidelines and policies are within the law.

Please keep me updated on the ETA for the change of this illegal requirement of CCW applicants.

Sincerely,

Concerned Citizen
And I just got this reply back about 20 minutes ago.

Quote:
The site has been edited to reflect the change in requirements.
I just checked their website and I can confirm that they indeed have changed it!

Sometimes I feel like I'm backed into a corner being a firearm owner in this state. But this has showed me that as long as you're persistent and have the proper knowledge behind you, you can influence those around you.

CLICK HERE for a San Diego County WIN!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training

Last edited by PsychGuy274; 03-25-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member

Very cool!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Great job!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
CGN Contributor

Congrads.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell
Old 03-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychGuy274 View Post

I just check their website and I can confirm that they indeed have changed it!

Sometimes I feel like I'm backed into a corner being a firearm owner in this state. But this has showed me that as long as you're persistent and have the proper knowledge behind you, you can influence those around you.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict

Three cheers for you AND those who saw the light!
False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes.
-- Cesare Beccaria http://www.a-human-right.com/
Old 03-25-2011, 10:36 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Nice job. That's how we make change, get involved and keep their feet to the fire.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM

Good job!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
I need a LIFE!!

This is awesome! Well done!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 PM

Me likey. Me likey a lot.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Mannn... that is AWESOME!!!

Nice job
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel

................CLICK IMAGE for full size
Old 03-25-2011, 10:43 PM
Veteran Member

WELL DONE!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Calguns Addict

!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM

Nicely done.

I committed to donating at least 10 measly bucks a month to the CalGuns Foundation.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member

OMG I feel so special right now

And please, feel free to use my emails as a guideline to modify to your liking and send to other agencies with similar illegal requirements. There's no reason this has to stop here!

CLICK HERE to read my research review on the fight-or-flight response and its application to firearm training
Old 03-25-2011, 10:49 PM

That is awesome! Good Job!
Old 03-25-2011, 10:57 PM

Quote:

And please, feel free to use my emails as a guideline to modify to your liking and send to other agencies with similar illegal requirements. There's no reason this has to stop here!
don't mind if i do

Thanks for the effort!

'/pat on the back/

Old 03-25-2011, 10:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:

This stuff takes real effort, and you're right that it shouldn't stop here. Call or write your licensing authority and inform them of what they *should* be doing. Use the flowchart and guide at www.gotcarry.org for help navigating the convoluted code.

-Brandon

I do not read private messages, and my inbox is usually full. If you need to reach me, please email me instead.

My comments are not the official position or a statement of any organization unless stated otherwise. My comments are not legal advice; if you want or need legal advice, hire a lawyer.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 PM

Very cool! One step at a time, I'm hoping we see shall-issue in San Diego County soon

"Criminals are a small minority in any age or country. And the harm they have done to mankind is infinitesimal when compared to the horrors—the bloodshed, the wars, the persecutions, the confiscations, the famines, the enslavements, the wholesale destructions—perpetrated by mankind's governments."
Ayn Rand, Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (1967)
Old 03-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Veteran Member

Bravo Zulu! Job well done sir!
"You cannot invade mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass." --Admiral Yamamoto
USS Hornet ARC Member.

Join today?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member

Great job, i very much enjoyed reading your rebuttal to there first response.

How can they just make stuff up that is not to the law and insert it into legal protocall.

Its like changing the law just to be able to get an arrest on someone who would otherwise be not guilty, its just crazy.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Banned

Reading this thread makes me very happy!!!!

If everyone in our society questioned authority this way, there would be many less problems. . . or as we call them - opportunities. . .

Last edited by oaklander; 03-25-2011 at 11:17 PM..
Old 03-25-2011, 11:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
Great job, i very much enjoyed reading your rebuttal to there first response.

How can they just make stuff up that is not to the law and insert it into legal protocall.

Its like changing the law just to be able to get an arrest on someone who would otherwise be not guilty, its just crazy.
I wouldn't go that far.

I highly doubt their old policy was a deliberate attempt to break the law. A lot us on Calguns spend hours a day attempting to decode the California Penal Code. A lot of times we fail and/or come up short due to how complex it is because we're human. Those individuals that run law enforcement agencies are also human and are prone to the same inadequacies as us when attempting to decipher the penal code. After all, they did rectify the situation.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Great Job! I feel a lot here contributes due to the substance of how you presented your facts to them… simple, clear and to the point, rather than some full out rant.

How one presents themselves goes well and above the rest.

Again, nice job and good on them as well, even if it did take another need for contact and three months later.

Gun-Control: "A theory like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars."
Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM

Good job buddy!
Old 03-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Banned

I tend to agree with this. There is a company that writes these for counties (I can't remember the name), and it is possible that this company may have accidentally inserted errors. Again, I don't know - but it is possible.

Quote:
I highly doubt their old policy was a deliberate attempt to break the law.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:24 PM
Veteran Member

Well i dont know how they write laws but surely someone has the job of reviewing it once its written, proof read at least.

Oh yer, it was you.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, way to go.

69Mach1
munkeeboi
TURBOELKY
antix2
WTSGDYBBR
tujungatoes
jmpgnr24K
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM
I need a LIFE!!

In the case of San Diego, and a few others, there is evidence it was intentional. Most are due to disinterested in the issue.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

The issue is that each county can set its own "administrative policy." I don't know - but it appears that some counties may have paid a company to write these policies for them.

I really do not know more than that.

"Proof reading" is what happens after the lawyer "reviews" a document. It is usually done by a staff person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battleship View Post
Well i dont know how they write laws but surely someone has the job of reviewing it once its written, proof read at least.

Oh yer, it was you.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:38 PM

Very nice work!

I do not think this was an honest mistake on their part. This appears to be yet another way LEA are putting up barriers to entry in the hopes that interested parties will simply think it's too hard to apply for a CCW and give up. There is nothing honest about making up illegal requirements and seeing how long they can get away with it before someone like OP calls them out on it.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 PM

Nice! One person CAN make a difference!

Old 03-25-2011, 11:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good job.

As for it being unintentional, we aren't talking about typos here. It looks like an attempt to discourage the prospective applicants before they even apply. It's not like such tactics are very uncommon in this state.
Originally Posted by SJgunguy24 View Post
Some people are so open minded, their brains have fallen out.

WTB: Saiga .223 bolt; HK G3 bolt; Chinese AK pistol grips; milled AK cut receiver pieces and stubs.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Sometimes you've just got to step into the batter's box and swing the bat. You did so in a admirable fashion!
Old 03-26-2011, 4:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Good job!
- Jeff Cooper

Check my current auctions on Gunbroker - user name bigbasscat - see what left California before Roberti-Roos
Old 03-26-2011, 4:52 AM

well done!
Old 03-26-2011, 5:00 AM
Veteran Member

This is great news, so now somebody needs to give the San Bernardino Sheriff's Department a smack down because they require 3 written references and four references that they personally contact. They only get away with this stuff when no one holds their feet to the fire and tells them that what they are doing is illegal.
Speaking about the destruction of the United States. "I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we ourselves must be its author and finisher. As a nation of free men, we must live through all times, or die by suicide. Abraham Lincoln Speech at Edwardsville, IL, September 11, 1858

Godwin's law
Old 03-26-2011, 5:31 AM
Gun Runner to The Stars

Good work! One man or woman can make a difference.

A while back I wrote my local police chief a letter asking him to fix an illegal aspect of their CCW policy and got positive results. Our chief is actually pretty cool. He's going to be the guest chef at one of local restaurants and cook up some Decomposed Fried Oyster Po' Boy with Caper Remulade Sauce (among other dishes). I might have to drop by, pig out and threaten to withhold his tip unless he publishes the new policy.

Old 03-26-2011, 5:40 AM

I notice that the OC Sheriff has the same requirement of 3 letters of reference.