Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Debating on a RDS for Glock.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    D.A.V.I.D.
    ——
    CGN Contributor
    • Apr 2015
    • 1876

    Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
    I don't understand what the advantage is of the ACSS reticle over the standard dot inside the circle reticle? If the chevron inside a circle is preferred, why is that so much different than a dot inside a circle?
    https://imgur.com/a/9hddc8A

    Comment

    • #17
      Vinnie Boombatz
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2020
      • 3036

      Originally posted by D.A.V.I.D.
      Only reason I ask is because I own optics with both The Holosun choice of the three reticles and a PA optic with the ACSS reticle. Both are great reticles. Full disclosure I only use those optics on long guns (shotgun and AR15's) but none are used on handguns, and just don't get what makes the ACSS reticle better for a handgun, let alone better for someone putting a RDS on a. handgun for the first time. The standard dot, circle and dot within a circle options Holosun offers on most of it's RDS seem like they would suit anyone's preferences unless they just prefer a single, larger MOA dot and dont care about the other options.
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #18
        HKAllTheThings
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2020
        • 1313

        Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
        Only reason I ask is because I own optics with both The Holosun choice of the three reticles and a PA optic with the ACSS reticle. Both are great reticles. Full disclosure I only use those optics on long guns (shotgun and AR15's) but none are used on handguns, and just don't get what makes the ACSS reticle better for a handgun, let alone better for someone putting a RDS on a. handgun for the first time. The standard dot, circle and dot within a circle options Holosun offers on most of it's RDS seem like they would suit anyone's preferences unless they just prefer a single, larger MOA dot and dont care about the other options.
        Take a knee or lay on your back and press out with one hand, is your dot aligned perfectly the first time? If not, you can see why that big circle would help.

        Comment

        • #19
          JC2020
          Senior Member
          • May 2020
          • 821

          Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
          Only reason I ask is because I own optics with both The Holosun choice of the three reticles and a PA optic with the ACSS reticle. Both are great reticles. Full disclosure I only use those optics on long guns (shotgun and AR15's) but none are used on handguns, and just don't get what makes the ACSS reticle better for a handgun, let alone better for someone putting a RDS on a. handgun for the first time. The standard dot, circle and dot within a circle options Holosun offers on most of it's RDS seem like they would suit anyone's preferences unless they just prefer a single, larger MOA dot and dont care about the other options.

          Comment

          • #20
            D.A.V.I.D.
            ——
            CGN Contributor
            • Apr 2015
            • 1876

            Originally posted by HKAllTheThings
            Take a knee or lay on your back and press out with one hand, is your dot aligned perfectly the first time? If not, you can see why that big circle would help.
            Good enough that my dots in the window.

            Comment

            • #21
              Vinnie Boombatz
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2020
              • 3036

              I have astigmatism as well, but understand it can be more or less severe for each individual. I just haven't encountered any massive differences and the main factor that seems to affect how "blobby" and misshapen the dot appears is all dependent on how bright the reticle is. The brighter it is, the more misshapen the dot appears. With the optic I ahve with the ACSS reticle it also has an adjustable dopier that allows for adjustment to get a crystal clear image, but that's not the case with a reflex sight that has the ACSS reticle. There's obviously no adjustable diopter, so no way to adjust the image, so I don't understand how that tiny chevron results in that much clearer of an image to someone with astigmatism. Hopefully I get to try one and see for myself at some point.
              sigpic

              Comment

              • #22
                D.A.V.I.D.
                ——
                CGN Contributor
                • Apr 2015
                • 1876

                Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
                Only reason I ask is because I own optics with both The Holosun choice of the three reticles and a PA optic with the ACSS reticle. Both are great reticles. Full disclosure I only use those optics on long guns (shotgun and AR15's) but none are used on handguns, and just don't get what makes the ACSS reticle better for a handgun, let alone better for someone putting a RDS on a. handgun for the first time. The standard dot, circle and dot within a circle options Holosun offers on most of it's RDS seem like they would suit anyone's preferences unless they just prefer a single, larger MOA dot and dont care about the other options.

                Comment

                • #23
                  static2126
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 5619

                  Originally posted by k1dude
                  If this is your first pistol red dot and you plan to concealed carry, I would suggest the Holosun HS507C-X2 with the ACSS Vulcan Reticle. You can get it with a red dot or green dot. Choose which color dot your eyes can acquire better.

                  It will help keep you from losing your dot on the draw or in awkward shooting positions.
                  Spot.om

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    static2126
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 5619

                    Originally posted by HKAllTheThings
                    Take a knee or lay on your back and press out with one hand, is your dot aligned perfectly the first time? If not, you can see why that big circle would help.
                    Yup. Or urban prone

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      JC2020
                      Senior Member
                      • May 2020
                      • 821

                      Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
                      I have astigmatism as well, but understand it can be more or less severe for each individual. I just haven't encountered any massive differences and the main factor that seems to affect how "blobby" and misshapen the dot appears is all dependent on how bright the reticle is. The brighter it is, the more misshapen the dot appears. With the optic I ahve with the ACSS reticle it also has an adjustable dopier that allows for adjustment to get a crystal clear image, but that's not the case with a reflex sight that has the ACSS reticle. There's obviously no adjustable diopter, so no way to adjust the image, so I don't understand how that tiny chevron results in that much clearer of an image to someone with astigmatism. Hopefully I get to try one and see for myself at some point.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        rodralig
                        CGN Contributor
                        • Apr 2016
                        • 4262

                        Originally posted by Vinnie Boombatz
                        I'm interested to hear why you think the 507 is "flimsy". First time I've ever hear anyone describe the 507 this way, as it is a pretty darn robust little optic and has endured quite a few torture tests online and passed.
                        "Seems flimsy" may have not been the right word...

                        What I meant was that the design of the hood would be a factor in it being not as robust as the 508 and the 509, and of course, the RMRs. This design is similar to the SRO, thus, even Trijicon suggested not using it for duty carry/EDC. Although as online torture tests have shown - this only comes to play in an outlier case where an impact to the optic is exactly on the topmost of the hood. But who intentionally drops RDS from waist height, anyway?

                        Also, I did say my 507s has been quite reliable - my 507, my 507 ACSS, and the 407 on my wife's Glock 19.

                        My response to the OP was a balance of what the 507 and 509 can offer - which was the 508.



                        Originally posted by HKAllTheThings
                        Take a knee or lay on your back and press out with one hand, is your dot aligned perfectly the first time? If not, you can see why that big circle would help.
                        Originally posted by D.A.V.I.D.
                        Good enough that my dots in the window.
                        Originally posted by static2126
                        Spot.om
                        Originally posted by static2126
                        Yup. Or urban prone
                        It must be me - I still need to benefit from the ACSS in a handgun (I have two ACSS, one is mated to Glock and the other is BNIB as a backup).

                        Yes, I sometimes lose the dot the first time out in unconventional positions, saying, taking a knee, urban prone, etc., but NOT having the 250MOA circle does really not hinder my re-orientation. Instead of waiting for a visual cue, I re-orient based on feel, which from my experience is as quick as the ACSS.

                        But what really annoys me is that 10MOA Chevron reticle. I find my target acquisition a bit slower, especially for precision shots, when compared to a simple dot or a circle (like the 8MOA from the 407).

                        Well, as they say - everyone is different and YMMW...


                        _

                        WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          crufflers
                          I need a LIFE!!
                          • Jul 2011
                          • 12723

                          I think has to be your choice whether you love the look of closed emitter, and after that decision, choose a slide mount solution that works. 507c and other similar models are truly RMR footprint. 509T has a proprietary clamp mount that attaches to a plate and the plate goes onto some RMR mount systems like Glock MOS, milled slides, etc... but NOT on others like ZEV slides or slides with ZEV POSTS like Brownell's "RMR" slides, etc...

                          If you love the look of the closed emitter and the perceived toughness, find a way to make it work even if you have to avoid ZEV POST slides.

                          Brownell's also offers Aimpoint ACRO slides, IIRC.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Dr. Peter Venkman
                            Veteran Member
                            • Oct 2006
                            • 4899

                            I'm waiting for Holosun to have the giant donut with the single dot.
                            sigpic
                            "America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
                            Originally posted by berto
                            You're right. There's no possible way that CGN members marching alongside the Pink Pistols in the SF Pride Parade can do anything to dispel the stereotype that gun owners are conservative bigots clinging to their guns and bibles. Not a single person in the crowd is rational or reachable because the parade's for gay folks and it's in SF.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              rodralig
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Apr 2016
                              • 4262

                              Originally posted by Dr. Peter Venkman
                              I'm waiting for Holosun to have the giant donut with the single dot.

                              If I am correctly understanding your statement, I would agree... If the ACSS where to have that 250MOA donut and a single dot - I think would find more value in it than the Chevron.


                              _

                              WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                Vinnie Boombatz
                                Veteran Member
                                • Feb 2020
                                • 3036

                                Originally posted by JC2020
                                I think handguns are just naturally more difficult to aim because of how one’s presentation requires constant practice in order to be accurate. For those who can’t practice as often (one of my friends who lives alone can’t afford much ammo, so I usually take her to the range every 2 months), presentation with an RDO is harder to learn.

                                From what I can tell, you practice and shoot and train regularly, so I don’t know if the ACSS provides any extra benefit for you. I personally like the chevron for another reason, which is that I can use the top and bottom of the inverted V to help me aim at close vs distanced shooting more accurately, in my opinion (7 vs 50 yards). I’m unlikely to hit anything at all beyond that distance with a handgun.
                                You don't need to fire the gun to practice your presentation, pointing in, drawing from the holster, etc. And arguably these are as important, if not more important than just firing the weapon. This is evidenced by all the peopel I see at the range just popping off shots that have awful form, some goofy stance, they grip the gun all wrong and then wonder why their shots are all over the place. They dont even know what they're doing wrong, but think if they shoot more they will get better. All this is doing is instilling and guaranteeing bad habits.

                                I've been to the local range once in the last year and a half, and the only time I've actually shot live ammo in that time has been in classes I've taken. Between classes it's TONS and TONS of dry practice. Focusing in trigger control, pointing in from the ready, fine-tuning my presentation from the holster, and putting it all together to get it as efficient and fluid/smooth as possible. This really makes a huge difference. SO many new shooters are so concerned with speed and shooting live ammo, and that ends up doing is creating sloppy and bad habits. Gotta learn how to crawl before you can walk and run. And with that said, as long as someone practices, I bet they'd become pretty comfortable with and efficient with either reticle.
                                Last edited by Vinnie Boombatz; 11-13-2021, 9:26 AM.
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1