Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Name the Absolute Best Auto-Reloader Available

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • CJ4
    Junior Member
    • Dec 2017
    • 35

    Name the Absolute Best Auto-Reloader Available

    Hello CGN:

    I'm initiating my homework here on this forum. My goal is to replace restrictions on my ability to purchase ammunition without being tagged by the State for having done it, with the freedom of accessing my own custom loads that run better in my firearms. I've never done any reloading before. However, I have just done some math on what I anticipate my requirements to be and it looks like having an auto-reloader (if such technology is available) would easily make things work out.

    My first step will be in learning exactly which components need to be purchased in order to re-load a single round (bullets, primers, casings, power, etc.). Then I will need to source those components and put them on auto-shipment status to the address that I designate. My next step will be in learning about the various kinds of auto-reloading equipment is commonly available to me - that's where I hope this thread comes in handy.

    Please list the auto-loading OEM's that you have either direct experience with, or that you know through the grapevine manufacturers good quality gear for auto-reloading.

    The big assumption?

    That there is such a thing as Auto-Reloading Equipment. I know that people do manual hand pressing. That's not going to work for me. I know that people run Progressive Presses. That too will not work for me. I want to load the equipment with components for making rounds, flip a switch to turn it on, walk away and come back some time later with 100, 500 or a 1000 rounds (whatever) having been re-loaded to my custom spec. Please tell me that such equipment already exists.


    The Numbers

    By my math, if I train/practice twice per week and consume 200 rounds per training/practice session, then I'll require 400 rounds per week and 20,800 rounds per year - every year.

    21,000 rounds per year at a cost of $0.20 per round = $4,200 per year total in component costs (reloading supplies, powder, etc.). At a cost of $0.27 per round, total annual costs goes to $5,670. A 0.35% range. I'm ok with that kind of expenditure for Handgun Rounds (only). Adding Rifle rounds will obviously increase annual costs, I get that. Right now, I'm focusing on Handgun Rounds exclusively. I'll deal with Rifle Rounds later.
    • What would be my initial Auto-Reloading Equipment costs (my initial investment)?
    • Does Auto-Reloading Equipment last, or are its components routinely replaced due to wear and tear (what should I expect for the longevity of such equipment)?
    • Are Brass Casing the only kind of casings good for reloading. Or, said another way, what are my options for casings as good (reliable) reloading candidates? Whatever I can do to drive down per unit (round) costs is a good thing.
    • What kind of shelf life do reloading supplies have like Powder, Primers, etc. Can I realistically expect to seal and store years worth of Powder and Primers, etc., for example?

    I plan to reload both my training/practice and defensive rounds. Or, I might reload my training/practice rounds while purchasing my defensive rounds. Of course, in SHTF scenario, the first thing to run out will be defensive rounds - leaving nothing but Ball Ammo remaining. So, I might just self-load everything - I'm not 100% certain on that yet.

    Thanks for any help you offer.
    Last edited by CJ4; 01-01-2018, 3:41 PM.
  • #2
    Mr.Caketown
    Calguns Addict
    • Jan 2011
    • 7362



    Search here and get ready for the Dillon 1050 fanboys to come out
    WTB:
    1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
    2)S&W 686 6in barrel ...686 No dash through 686-4
    3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

    Comment

    • #3
      kcheung2
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2012
      • 4387

      So a person who knows nothing about reloading wants not merely a progressive, but a Camdex-level kind of equipment.

      Sounds like a plan, good luck shooting for the moon before you've learned how to walk.
      ---------------------
      "There is no "best." If there was, everyone here would own that one, and no other." - DSB

      Comment

      • #4
        Jimmy's
        Veteran Member
        • May 2016
        • 2600

        That's a ton of shooting.

        Comment

        • #5
          ARDude
          Veteran Member
          • May 2006
          • 2723

          You really should start out with a single stage or turret press and learn.

          Then move on to a progressive.

          Unless you have unlimited funds, and are able to afford the types of machines that manufacturers of ammo have, progressive machines such as the Dillon would be it.

          Go to the Dillon website with your credit card ready.

          *commercial machines run into the $100,000-200,000 range for new machines.* Just google "commercial reloading machines" to get an idea.
          Last edited by ARDude; 01-01-2018, 4:09 PM.
          Real-life Girls

          Comment

          • #6
            CSACANNONEER
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Dec 2006
            • 44094

            There is no "absolute best". Different machines are going to be the best for different people and different wants and needs. Camdex, Ammoload, Bitterroot, etc. are all commonly used by commercial reloaders. However, ANY commercial reloader is going to need to be monitored. Just flipping a switch and walking away isn't a good idea.
            NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
            California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
            Ventura County approved CCW Instructor
            Utah CCW Instructor


            Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

            sigpic
            CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

            KM6WLV

            Comment

            • #7
              blkside
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2012
              • 1301

              I have a single stage, turret and Dillon 650XL. I can honestly say that starting from the ground up is a must. I know when something is wrong on the 650XL by feel that I learned by using the single. Good luck but it really does matter at starting with a single...
              Originally posted by TonyNorCal
              If I'm going to spend money to touch a woman then it's going to be at a Nevada brothel, on Craiglist hooker, or trolling the streets in a camper van.

              Comment

              • #8
                bmk20398
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2017
                • 1047

                single stage reloading for me... process and time/round
                sizing 4sec
                expand 3sec
                length check 2sec
                pocket 2sec
                primer 3sec
                powder 2sec
                bullet 2sec
                seating 3sec
                crimping 3sec
                24 sec / round, maybe 100 - 150 rounds/hour

                Comment

                • #9
                  superdave50
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2017
                  • 813

                  Cost prohibitive

                  Comment

                  • #10
                    Hank15
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 995

                    A lot of people will "force" you to start with the basics.

                    I'm going to give you exactly what you asked for but with a disclaimer: reloading is an inherently dangerous activity when you don't know what you're doing. Spend some time with a seasoned veteran and/or loading manuals, your body parts will thank you. All risks and responsibilities lie with you.

                    Start with minimum charge and work your way up. I encourage new reloaders to shoot and load lower pressure cartridges such as 45s.

                    Here's the setup you're looking for:

                    Comment

                    • #11
                      Ktm45
                      Member
                      • Jul 2016
                      • 122

                      Comment

                      • #12
                        Matt P
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jun 2006
                        • 3101

                        The MKIV set up does not include the press btw.

                        You need to do wayyyyyyy more homework. Just the way it is. When you do you will see the merit in what many in this thread are encouraging you to do.

                        Or just buy all my reloading stuff. You wouldn't need to buy supplies of any kind for some time.

                        The MKIV is a slick set up. But you still need to fill it back up with the consumables. At least every hundred rounds. There is no such thing as a press you can just walk away from.
                        My WTB of Anything Glock 1-2 Generation, Tupperware, Manuals or Parts. Press Me

                        Comment

                        • #13
                          tomrkba
                          Senior Member
                          • Jun 2016
                          • 1513

                          I cannot figure out my Lee Progressive. It is terrible.

                          I have a Lee Turret Press that I have used for a long time. It is good for learning. I moved up to a Dillon 550B after that.
                          Biden's
                          Laptop
                          Matters

                          Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p

                          Comment

                          • #14
                            dummykid
                            Senior Member
                            • Jun 2016
                            • 1296

                            markvii-loading.com

                            Comment

                            • #15
                              bmk20398
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2017
                              • 1047

                              How long (400/week) or how many rounds to break even $4000 mark-7 setup?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1