Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Revolver vs Self-loading Pistol

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    JTROKS
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Nov 2007
    • 13093

    Originally posted by ACfixer
    I haven't met too many people in the real world realm that most of us live in that can shoot a double action revolver very well. That includes myself and I'll bet it includes you.
    Hmmmm.... what are we betting on?
    The wise man said just find your place
    In the eye of the storm
    Seek the roses along the way
    Just beware of the thorns...
    K. Meine

    Comment

    • #32
      MrOrange
      Senior Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 2262

      Originally posted by 357magnum
      Thanks, good to know.
      Big plus one-a-roono.


      Originally posted by BigPimping
      You are comparing apples to oranges. The only thing they have in common is they both shoot.
      herd u talkin snit bout orange
      I meant, it is my opinion that...






      I do believe that where there is a choice only between cowardice and violence
      I would advise violence. - M. Gandhi
      You're my kind of stupid. - M. Reynolds

      Comment

      • #33
        essjay
        Senior Member
        • Jun 2014
        • 1429

        Should've known better than to waste time on another Donald Babbett thread.

        Comment

        • #34
          cvigue
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2015
          • 1525

          Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
          ....
          Pretty much pure horsesh*t. You going for the trifecta?

          Comment

          • #35
            meno377
            ?????
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Jul 2013
            • 4911

            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            Revolver Advantages

            1. safety- much safer by design to handle and store loaded for security especially for a layman: trigger with heavy pull, lacks self-loader's sensitivity: the ability to rest a hammer over an empty chamber for safe stowage and carry
            ??? Trigger cocked on revolver is much lighter. Semiautos can be stored with loaded magazine and empty chamber.

            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            2. reliability- not likely to misfire, jam or otherwise malfunction
            Apparently you didn't read the article with Chuck Taylor regarding the Glock 17 with 270,000 rounds back in 1994. Later years recorded over 750,000 rounds. The link provided was an ongoing article regarding his test. http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...-torture-test/

            Also here is an old thread about him. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=360611

            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            3. instant load type selection: carry a birdshot round in one of the chambers in snake country and bullet loads for protection against other kinds of animals in adjacent chambers: rotate cylinder to dial in to desired ammunition type without shooting undesired round types out of the way as you would have to in a clip pistol
            True with that.

            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            4. easier to clean and oil without complex field stripping
            Field stripping is so easy and from that point it's much easier cleaning a semiauto.

            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            5. accuracy: the barrel along with the iron sights are rigidly fixed to the frame: in a self-loader, the barrel and slide with the sights affixed to it move or float independently while firing so the position of the barrel relative to the sights and frame may be less consistent: having the barrel remain stationary relative to the frame is important in shooting with natural pointing instincts as well whereby aiming precisely by the sights is not emphasized
            Rob Leatham might disagree with you. Although I would believe that Elmer Keith was one of the best arguments in favor of the larger caliber revolvers. I would be more nervous standing 50 yards away from Elmer Keith pointing a revolver at me than someone pointing an AR at me.

            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            6. less perceived recoil in larger calibers because their is no moving slide to slam backwards especially in a heavier frame
            Ever shoot a DE 44mag? I have and the recoil is less than a 6inch 629 240grain FMJ comparison with both.




            Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
            Self-loader Advantages:


            1. new models can often be purchased cheaper than new-model revolvers

            2. rapid rate of fire: firepower

            3. high round capacity

            4. slim, flat profile easier to conceal than round revolver

            5. fast reloading with spare clips (magazines)
            Jerry Miculek might disagree with you on how fast he can shoot a revolver. In general though, they are easier to carry with few exceptions than revolvers. One exception would be an air-light model PD340. Reloading more likely goes to semiautos and yes they are generally cheaper.

            EDIT: Don't get me wrong. Revolvers are great handguns. But the differences today are more about preference than anything else.
            Last edited by meno377; 06-10-2017, 4:46 PM.
            Originally posted by Fjold
            I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
            Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
            -Milton Friedman


            sigpic

            Comment

            • #36
              DonaldBabbett
              Banned
              • Aug 2014
              • 828

              Originally posted by meno377
              ??? Trigger cocked on revolver is much lighter. Semiautos can be stored with loaded magazine and empty chamber.



              Apparently you didn't read the article with Chuck Taylor regarding the Glock 17 with 270,000 rounds back in 1994. Later years recorded over 750,000 rounds. The link provided was an ongoing article regarding his test. http://www.tactical-life.com/combat-...-torture-test/

              Also here is an old thread about him. https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...d.php?t=360611



              True with that.



              Field stripping is so easy and from that point it's much easier cleaning a semiauto.



              Rob Leatham might disagree with you. Although I would believe that Elmer Keith was one of the best arguments in favor of the larger caliber revolvers. I would be more nervous standing 50 yards away from Elmer Keith pointing a revolver at me than someone pointing an AR at me.



              Ever shoot a DE 44mag? I have and the recoil is less than a 6inch 629 240grain FMJ comparison with both.






              Jerry Miculek might disagree with you on how fast he can shoot a revolver. In general though, they are easier to carry with few exceptions than revolvers. One exception would be an air-light model PD340. Reloading more likely goes to semiautos and yes they are generally cheaper.

              EDIT: Don't get me wrong. Revolvers are great handguns. But the differences today are more about preference than anything else.

              If one keeps the revolver hammer resting over an empty chamber, the gun can be fired fast in a hurry while still allowing the gun to be loaded and safe against accidental discharge as from dropping.

              Having to rack a slide before firing is time consuming and could cost you your life in a combat situation.

              The D/A revolver can also be cocked fast to go into single action mode if time permits in an emergency. This will provide a lighter pull for a more well-placed shot if time permits.

              If I had to have a semi, I would go for the Glock, 9 or 45, hands down. Exclusive Glock Safe-Action trigger is a boon for safety but I understand safe gun-handling habits beat safety features hands down as far as not having accidents goes.

              Comment

              • #37
                meno377
                ?????
                CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                • Jul 2013
                • 4911

                Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
                If one keeps the revolver hammer resting over an empty chamber, the gun can be fired fast in a hurry while still allowing the gun to be loaded and safe against accidental discharge as from dropping.

                Having to rack a slide before firing is time consuming and could cost you your life in a combat situation.
                That was meant for storage. Your nightstand gun has one in the chamber at night. But when you wake up the next morning, you would eject the round and reload into the magazine for storage while you are gone.

                Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
                The D/A revolver can also be cocked fast to go into single action mode if time permits in an emergency. This will provide a lighter pull for a more well-placed shot if time permits.
                The downfall of a revolver for some would be manually cocking every time to shoot single action.

                Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
                If I had to have a semi, I would go for the Glock, 9 or 45, hands down. Exclusive Glock Safe-Action trigger is a boon for safety but I understand safe gun-handling habits beat safety features hands down as far as not having accidents goes.
                Agree.
                Originally posted by Fjold
                I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street.
                Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program.
                -Milton Friedman


                sigpic

                Comment

                • #38
                  Che762x39
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2011
                  • 4538

                  Originally posted by ACfixer
                  I haven't met too many people in the real world realm that most of us live in that can shoot a double action revolver very well. That includes myself and I'll bet it includes you.
                  I had 16 years of daily revolver experience. Ten years as Captain of the PPC team. Very seldom have I seen a good revolver shooter in the last ten years.

                  The average shooter will be much better served with an "autoloader" of their choice.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    JTROKS
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 13093

                    Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                    Now I really know you don't know what you're talking about.
                    Maybe he's talking about hunting?.... A few decades ago my 10.5" Ruger SBH is good cocking. Although I never had an old single action I had to rest the hammer on an empty.
                    The wise man said just find your place
                    In the eye of the storm
                    Seek the roses along the way
                    Just beware of the thorns...
                    K. Meine

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      Che762x39
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2011
                      • 4538

                      Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
                      The D/A revolver can also be cocked fast to go into single action mode if time permits in an emergency. This will provide a lighter pull for a more well-placed shot if time permits.
                      What scenario will that be? Ambush a bad guy?

                      Triggeronometry is all about mastering the DA revolver's trigger.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        orangeusa
                        • Jul 2009
                        • 9055

                        Originally posted by MrOrange
                        Big plus one-a-roono.

                        herd u talkin snit bout orange

                        We ain't gonna take it anymore. Orange is the new Pimpin..

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          cvigue
                          Senior Member
                          • Jan 2015
                          • 1525

                          Originally posted by DonaldBabbett
                          I retained this knowledge through reading countless articles of Gun Digest ...
                          Did you read the part where each cylinder of a revolver will align differently with the barrel, making them, all else equal, less accurate than a semi-auto? Also, leaving an empty chamber under the hammer is news from 1963, it's not of any value any more.

                          You're welcome.

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            SG29736
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 1165

                            Other than shooters who compete with revolvers, I rarely see people at the range shooting double action. Occasionally I'll see someone shooting a snub nose without first cocking the hammer. Also some shooters shoot in double action so slowly to carefully stage the trigger, they might as well shoot single action.

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              orangeusa
                              • Jul 2009
                              • 9055

                              I finally read OP. I realized I don't agree with anything posted.

                              Dial a wheel to select ammo? SNAKE : Out of ammo. Lol

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                DonaldBabbett
                                Banned
                                • Aug 2014
                                • 828

                                Originally posted by HopetonBrown
                                Now I really know you don't know what you're talking about.
                                If you honestly don't know what I am saying you don't know double-action revolvers from the Beatles Revolver album.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1