Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

SA 1911 Loaded Target 9mm

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    tacos3
    • Nov 2013
    • 499

    I've got 2 of them, both are IDPA ESP guns. Got them tuned by Dave(1911whore) who does great work. I use Dawson Precision 10 round mags with no issues. You do have to make sure the the extractor is tensioned properly. If the extractor tension goes weak, I get a lot of type 3 failures which are the worst to clear during a match. I tune the extractor about every 1000 rounds. Other than that, they run great. I have about 5000 and 2000 rounds through them with no major issue.

    They shoot well enough for me that my M&P Pro CORE Ported and my comp G19 just sit in my safe.

    Have fun!

    "never bother your enemy while he is making a mistake" ......Napoleon

    Comment

    • #17
      Robert1234
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 3080

      Don't get me wrong, I own one. But it is loose and had major issues when I got it.

      I did the repairs myself cause I didn't want new junk parts to replace the original junk parts, and cause I could.

      It's still anything but tight, still rattles but is tighter than when I got it.

      It was always reliable, is now accurate and has a nice trigger.

      I just wish I had been a bit more picky when I got it and waited for one with good frame to slide fit.

      My experience is just that, mine. Others have written of good tight fit guns they got.

      So like I said, handle it and check fit. Pull the trigger, if the shop won't let you, find a better shop. You get to drive a car before you buy it, pulling the trigger is the very least you should be able to do before buying a $1,000.00 gun.

      Comment

      • #18
        samrob77
        Senior Member
        • Feb 2013
        • 1432

        After comparing mine with a few of my other 1911's, RIA, TRP, Kimber custom II, tle rl and a S&W, it was a little loose. The tle rl was the worst followed by the 9mm, while the others were all tight.
        Never had a problem with it and it's pretty darn accurate so I'm not complaining. I only have the factory mags and mecgear too.

        Comment

        • #19
          45R
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2005
          • 2028

          Probably the most soft shooting 9mm I own. Its gone back to SA for some tuning. The tuned the trigger and replaced the slide stop. To this day it won't function with factory mags. Even the ones they "tuned" at the factory. It only function with Wilson magazines.
          Pistol-Training.com

          Comment

          • #20
            Pretty fly for a Cabinetguy
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
            • Feb 2016
            • 4385

            I love mine, fun to shoot, accurate and no problems with 3-4 K through it...
            Wilson Protector .45, Springer 9mm Loaded, Franchi Instinct SL .12ga. and some other cool stuff for the kiddos...

            Comment

            • #21
              scamp62
              Senior Member
              • May 2010
              • 1009

              mine has been 100% ......got to love mine !!
              Last edited by scamp62; 02-26-2017, 9:03 PM.

              Comment

              • #22
                oddjob
                Senior Member
                • Jan 2003
                • 2399

                I have one. When I showed it to some USPSA shooters 3 or 4 of them went out and bought one. Very nice gun to own.

                Magazines are really important to the 9mm 1911. I use Tripp Research 9mm magazines.

                Comment

                • #23
                  cindynles
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 2806

                  I've got a little over 3,000 rounds through mine. When I first brought it home the extractor tension was too low (pretty common on production 1911's) and the firing pin stop was a bit loose allowing the extractor to clock. I adjusted the extractor tension and replaced the FPS with a Caspian one ($15) and it has run like a sewing machine. Great gun for the price and really fun to shoot with almost no recoil.

                  Here are a couple of videos of mine at USPSA matches.



                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." B.Franklin,1759

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    Subiezilla
                    Member
                    • Mar 2014
                    • 106

                    Originally posted by cindynles
                    I've got a little over 3,000 rounds through mine. When I first brought it home the extractor tension was too low (pretty common on production 1911's) and the firing pin stop was a bit loose allowing the extractor to clock. I adjusted the extractor tension and replaced the FPS with a Caspian one ($15) and it has run like a sewing machine. Great gun for the price and really fun to shoot with almost no recoil.

                    Here are a couple of videos of mine at USPSA matches.



                    Wow that triple tap looks awesome and super good control
                    08/02/2022 mailed application
                    01/2024 completed live scan

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      A.VALENZ
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2014
                      • 70

                      Dawson or Wilson mags and it will run no problem. If you have issues with ejection you may consider changing stock extractor, to EGW or Ed Brown extractor. Aftec if money is no issue.

                      Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Robert1234
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2006
                        • 3080

                        I have Metalform 10 round mags. Never had an issue.

                        Brownell's sells a magazine that looks a lot like them, only black and with Brownell's label on them at a very good price.

                        Currently out of stock, but that is a fluid situation.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          bubbapug1
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7958

                          Slide to frame looseness has nothing to do with accuracy. It has a lot to do with reliability in dirty conditions. You want to run 0.001" tolerances? Go for it. I think it's best one shoot guns like that in a clean room.

                          The lock up is what's critical for a 1911.

                          Also, the chambers in Springfield's don't love spent Glock brass with bulged bottoms. The SA 1911 chambers, along with the EMP are tight and have issues with some reloads but never with new factory brass.

                          $1,000.00 for a SS 1911 is kind of a bargain. There's nothing wrong with the SA 9mm that is a deal killer.

                          My SA 1911 was my favorite gun...until I got an edge.
                          I love America for the rights and freedoms we used to have.

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            Robert1234
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2006
                            • 3080

                            Originally posted by bubbapug1
                            Slide to frame looseness has nothing to do with accuracy. It has a lot to do with reliability in dirty conditions. You want to run 0.001" tolerances? Go for it. I think it's best one shoot guns like that in a clean room.

                            The lock up is what's critical for a 1911.

                            Also, the chambers in Springfield's don't love spent Glock brass with bulged bottoms. The SA 1911 chambers, along with the EMP are tight and have issues with some reloads but never with new factory brass.

                            $1,000.00 for a SS 1911 is kind of a bargain. There's nothing wrong with the SA 9mm that is a deal killer.

                            My SA 1911 was my favorite gun...until I got an edge.

                            My 9mm was so loose it rattled when in battery. That indicates that there is not a good lockup. Even after installing a .201" slide stop and EGW angle bored bushing, it still rattles and when you press down on the barrel hood, you can feel it move. There was nothing done right on this gun. I have gotten it to shoot pretty accurately and it's never been unreliable, so there's that. But again, when I spend a grand, I expect a bit more.

                            Frame to slide fit doesn't have to be tight, but it shouldn't rattle like a baby toy. Not on an $1,000.00 gun.

                            I have a Les Baer DCM Hardball gun that is nice and tight. Never had an issue in I have no idea how many USPSA matches in rain, dusty summer, humid, cold or any other day.

                            Have a Kimber I turned into a .40 S&W gun, again with a nice, tight slide to frame fit. Again, never an issue in too many matches to remember.

                            Chamber never caused an issue, reloads go through it like ***** through a goose.

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              mlevans66
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 9516

                              Originally posted by Subiezilla
                              What range? Im in the la/oc area? Does your range shoot reloads through that postol?
                              Irons and yes all we shoot are reloads.
                              The liberal see's the glass as half full and tries to take more.
                              The conservative see's glass as half empty and tries to keep it that way.
                              I'm with the people on the side just pouring water in the glass trying to get a drink!

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                BigPimping
                                CGN Contributor
                                • Feb 2010
                                • 21485

                                Buy Glock. Resist all others except HK.
                                sigpic

                                PIMP stands for Positive Intellectual Motivated Person

                                When pimping begins, friendship ends.

                                Don't let your history be a mystery

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1