Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dirty gun after range

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #46
    winchester1
    Junior Member
    • Jul 2015
    • 45

    Originally posted by CouchOperator
    Im confused. The firing pin was stuck forward, sat with a chambered round in a holster for a given amount of time, and then decided to discharge?
    We were shooting for awhile and using two-round relays. I don't think it took more than twenty seconds to cook-off. Scary and mystifying until I noted a little bit of the firing pin protruding from the slide. The gun jammed in the holster, possibly preventing a second shot. I locked the slide back and experimented. The nose of the pin would hesitate but sometimes it would actually fix itself fully forward.
    winchester1
    California gun laws are proof that some stupid comes in a full metal jacket.

    Comment

    • #47
      CouchOperator
      Veteran Member
      • May 2016
      • 4353

      Originally posted by winchester1
      We were shooting for awhile and using two-round relays. I don't think it took more than twenty seconds to cook-off. Scary and mystifying until I noted a little bit of the firing pin protruding from the slide. The gun jammed in the holster, possibly preventing a second shot. I locked the slide back and experimented. The nose of the pin would hesitate but sometimes it would actually fix itself fully forward.
      Im still confused. The only thing i can diagnose is the gun "jamming" to prevent a second round to cycle. 1911's wont cycle with the safety engaged... If your 1911 was in the holster without the safety engaged, you are either gaming your drills or uneducated on the 1911 manual of arms.
      Last edited by CouchOperator; 10-06-2016, 4:08 AM.

      Comment

      • #48
        Taurus94538
        Member
        • Dec 2008
        • 264

        Originally posted by FeuerFrei
        Try shooting the thing to the point of failure/stoppage a few times.
        Then you'll know how long between cleanings it'll go.
        I'm still working on this with my CZ SP-01. Over 2k rounds now and still no issues.
        SD
        I'll keep my money, you keep the CHANGE!

        Comment

        • #49
          GM4spd
          Calguns Addict
          • May 2008
          • 5682

          Clean or dirty,just don't drop it on the carpet.

          Comment

          • #50
            Socalman
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2010
            • 1339

            As a young kid in the late 50's, I was taught that you clean your gun after each and every use. This was a practice I continued until a few years ago. I often wonder if that concept is something that dated back to the times when all ammunition was highly corrosive?

            I do wash/clean my SKS when I have shot the corrosive ammo, otherwise it may be close to 500 or more before the gun is cleaned.

            Comment

            • #51
              tanks
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 4038

              Don't see why it is a huge issue for some. It is only 15 minutes or so (if one is taking his time) to clean a handgun enough to get clean patches through the bore, scrub the carbon off and lube the rails etc.. It is not a major undertaking.
              "... when a man has shot an elephant his life is full"- John Alfred Jordan
              "A set of ivory tusks speaks of a life well lived." - Unknown

              Comment

              • #52
                ExtremeX
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2010
                • 7160

                Originally posted by GM4spd
                Clean or dirty,just don't drop it on the carpet.
                lol, I remember that thread.
                ExtremeX

                Comment

                • #53
                  Bobby Ricigliano
                  Mit Gott und Mauser
                  CGN Contributor
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 17439

                  I showed this thread to some of the operators who were sipping Caramel Macchiattos in the lounge area of our private gun club. No one actually shoots there, we just do show and tell, take and share pictures, and post up "tabletop" reviews of our latest gun purchases. They said you are all neanderthal cretins for not cleaning your guns after each 50 rounds, MAX.

                  I would post the rest of the mean things they said, but the barrista just called me out.. "Double Mocha Frap Extra Whip for Bobby R...."

                  Comment

                  • #54
                    CandG
                    Spent $299 for this text!
                    CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                    • Apr 2014
                    • 16970

                    Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                    I showed this thread to some of the operators who were sipping Caramel Macchiattos in the lounge area of our private gun club. No one actually shoots there, we just do show and tell, take and share pictures, and post up "tabletop" reviews of our latest gun purchases. They said you are all neanderthal cretins for not cleaning your guns after each 50 rounds, MAX.

                    I would post the rest of the mean things they said, but the barrista just called me out.. "Double Mocha Frap Extra Whip for Bobby R...."
                    No soy milk? You heathen.
                    Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                    Comment

                    • #55
                      nitroxdiver
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 6979

                      Originally posted by Bobby Ricigliano
                      I showed this thread to some of the operators who were sipping Caramel Macchiattos in the lounge area of our private gun club. No one actually shoots there, we just do show and tell, take and share pictures, and post up "tabletop" reviews of our latest gun purchases. They said you are all neanderthal cretins for not cleaning your guns after each 50 rounds, MAX.

                      I would post the rest of the mean things they said, but the barrista just called me out.. "Double Mocha Frap Extra Whip for Bobby R...."

                      I love your style


                      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                      Comment

                      • #56
                        hambam105
                        Calguns Addict
                        • Jan 2013
                        • 7083

                        It is obvious that all the OP's issues started by actually taking only two pistols to the range.

                        A buddy and I were pulling off against some tin cans in the boonies and experienced a cook-off from my 1911.
                        Reads like a line from the movie, Deliverance.

                        Comment

                        • #57
                          bubbala
                          Senior Member
                          • Mar 2012
                          • 904

                          My hk's like to be kept clean, the barrels anyway. When they start throwing fliers I know I have to run a patch down their gullet, spoiled brats,,,bratwursts.
                          NRA Range Safety Officer pistol and reloading instructor

                          https://www.facebook.com/pages/HL-Se...=photos_stream

                          Comment

                          • #58
                            winchester1
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2015
                            • 45

                            Originally posted by CouchOperator
                            Im still confused. The only thing i can diagnose is the gun "jamming" to prevent a second round to cycle. 1911's wont cycle with the safety engaged... If your 1911 was in the holster without the safety engaged, you are either gaming your drills or uneducated on the 1911 manual of arms.
                            My partner fired two rounds and holstered the gun. When it cooked off in the holster the slide did not return to battery. I assume my pal did not have the safety engaged. We were not gaming anything; we were having fun. This happened exactly the way I said it did. The incident described relates directly to the subject of periodic cleaning of guns after use. The point of the story is that periodic cleaning can prevent the unexpected.
                            winchester1
                            California gun laws are proof that some stupid comes in a full metal jacket.

                            Comment

                            • #59
                              mjmagee67
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2011
                              • 2771

                              Originally posted by John Joseph
                              So you don't have to when the balloon goes up, or when DEFCON jumps from one to five.
                              I know I don't have to clean them when the SHTF, I know I can just shoot them. If you are a constant gun cleaner you will never know what happens if they get really dirty.
                              If you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              UA-8071174-1