Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Dirty gun after range

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    sigfan91
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Jun 2009
    • 12316

    Originally posted by cockedandglocked
    You brush your teeth every night before bed? Cars, guns, and teeth all have different cleaning needs, so that's a bad comparison. Namely, pistols don't have a huge reservoir full of pressurized lubricant. None-the-less, I get your point, which is that with modern handguns we don't need to be that anal about cleaning for the most part, especially with guns that are just replaceable tools and not gorgeous priceless heirlooms.
    I am good with that. I don't clean my guns after a shoot if I know I'm going back to the range with it in a week. I will clean it if I know I won't shoot it for a while, or round count is close to 500, or I notice some cycling issues.

    Comment

    • #32
      oghl888
      Senior Member
      • May 2005
      • 612

      the trick is to leave solvent on dirty parts for a while and scrub. the cleaning becomes a lot easier. 92FS is quite easy to clean by comparison.

      Comment

      • #33
        Air
        Senior Member
        • May 2005
        • 1640

        I just hose mine off in the backyard...

        All seriousness, grease the rails from time to time, wipe off the feed ramp and call it a day. Do. Not. Overthink.


        Some guns I treat better than others, but at the end of the day, Do. Not. Overthink.

        Again...

        DO. NOT. OVERTHINK.

        Comment

        • #34
          John Joseph
          Banned
          • Jan 2014
          • 789

          Running a Bore snake down the barrel at the range, while it is still warm, will speed things up at home when it comes down to a real cleaning.
          With .22lrs I leave the bore alone until accuracy deteriorates, but the action still gets a thorough cleaning and wipe down. Every time.

          Comment

          • #35
            artb
            CGN/CGSSA Contributor
            • Feb 2014
            • 1552

            Originally posted by sigfan91
            You change your car's oil after every drive too?
            The automobile users manual doesn't recommend changing the oil every drive.
            The gun users manual recommends cleaning after every shoot.
            Crappy comparison. ...

            Comment

            • #36
              ElDub1950
              Calguns Addict
              • Aug 2012
              • 5688

              My girlfriend helps.

              Comment

              • #37
                jyo
                Calguns Addict
                • Sep 2008
                • 5320

                Personally, I was raised in the "shoot it---clean it" clan---but these were WW2 M1 Garands with WW2 or other surplus ammo of unknown types. Things have changed---most all ammo these days is non-corrosive and does not need the "right now" cleaning that corrosive ammo required.
                Now it's shoot---bring gun home---wipe down with oily rag---put away till next time---repeat above until I feel like cleaning it...

                Comment

                • #38
                  etwinam
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2016
                  • 3223

                  I think it depends on the gun haha. I only clean my Taurus after a few trips to the range but I clean my AR and 1911 Everytime.
                  God, Guns & Integrity. Prioritize your Priorities.

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    FeuerFrei
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Aug 2008
                    • 7455

                    Try shooting the thing to the point of failure/stoppage a few times.
                    Then you'll know how long between cleanings it'll go.

                    There's no need to detail strip n clean every time you shoot it unless a DI is looking over your shoulder preparing to light your she-it up for having a dirty weapon.
                    Try just giving it a whores bath between sessions and obsess about something else.
                    Shootin guns is supposed to be fun. [emoji95][emoji16][emoji95]


                    Sent using a long string & 2 cans.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      reverser
                      Senior Member
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 710

                      That reminds me of the movie "Stop! Or My Mom Will Shoot" from the early 90s. She threw his Taurus PT99 in the dishwasher with bleach and some other stuff. I guess if you're going to wash any gun in the dishwasher it may as well be a Taurus or a Hipoint.

                      Originally posted by ElDub1950
                      My girlfriend helps.

                      Originally posted by sfarchitect
                      The days of scared old white people, terrified that life and the world has passed them by running America is coming to a close.

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        winchester1
                        Junior Member
                        • Jul 2015
                        • 45

                        A, folks, a little on the serious side here: A buddy and I were pulling off against some tin cans in the boonies and experienced a cook-off from my 1911. The gun was holstered in my Andy Anderson rig at the time. Were were side by side and he was using my rig, so the gun was between us. I was one number short on the call when I heard the shot and felt the slap against my left boot. When I looked over, the gun was still in it's holster. There were no injuries; the effects were from the gravel on the ground between us. Examination revealed that the firing pin of the .45 was fixed forward; it had not rebounded. It seems that several hundred rounds of Unique handloads had built up enough gunk to defeat the firing pin return spring. Big oops.
                        winchester1
                        California gun laws are proof that some stupid comes in a full metal jacket.

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          CouchOperator
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2016
                          • 4353

                          Originally posted by winchester1
                          A, folks, a little on the serious side here: A buddy and I were pulling off against some tin cans in the boonies and experienced a cook-off from my 1911. The gun was holstered in my Andy Anderson rig at the time. Were were side by side and he was using my rig, so the gun was between us. I was one number short on the call when I heard the shot and felt the slap against my left boot. When I looked over, the gun was still in it's holster. There were no injuries; the effects were from the gravel on the ground between us. Examination revealed that the firing pin of the .45 was fixed forward; it had not rebounded. It seems that several hundred rounds of Unique handloads had built up enough gunk to defeat the firing pin return spring. Big oops.
                          Im confused. The firing pin was stuck forward, sat with a chambered round in a holster for a given amount of time, and then decided to discharge?

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            CandG
                            Spent $299 for this text!
                            CGN Contributor - Lifetime
                            • Apr 2014
                            • 16970

                            Originally posted by CouchOperator
                            Im confused. The firing pin was stuck forward, sat with a chambered round in a holster for a given amount of time, and then decided to discharge?
                            Was wondering the same thing... it's almost like there were 2 (rare) malfunctions that happened simultaneously. First, the firing pin got jammed and hit the primer when the slide returned to battery, igniting it. Next, the primer was defective and caused a delayed powder ignition, something that to this day I've still never seen happen with my own eyes, though I've heard it does. Go buy a lottery ticket, your 1911 just performed the impossible. Or, more likely, we're understanding your story incorrectly.
                            Settle down, folks. The new "ghost gun" regulations probably don't do what you think they do.


                            Comment

                            • #44
                              Packy14
                              Calguns Addict
                              • Jul 2008
                              • 5312

                              Originally posted by FormerBiker
                              A clean gun is a happy gun!
                              A dirty gun is a loved gun
                              NRA Lifetime Member

                              1A-2A = -1A

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                ExtremeX
                                Calguns Addict
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 7160

                                Originally posted by FeuerFrei
                                Try shooting the thing to the point of failure/stoppage a few times.
                                Then you'll know how long between cleanings it'll go.
                                Technically I've tried this with my XD, the same pistol the OP has...

                                I have one that is my range beater / desert holster gun that I literally just beat on and neglected in a dusty environment...

                                I've shot more ammo though that pistol than the pistol itself is worth, thousands of rounds, and still haven't had a stoppage...

                                I cleaned it because it got gross and flaky when you handle it, not because it actually stopped working... and all I really did was wipe it down really well and throw it back together.

                                I dont mind maintaining a gun properly, but obsessive deep cleaning after a range trip isn't necessary. If anything its a waste of time, supplies, and can also create unnecessary wear & tear depending on what you are doing.
                                Last edited by ExtremeX; 10-03-2016, 7:19 PM.
                                ExtremeX

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1