Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911's

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #61
    Schultz28
    Member
    • Dec 2012
    • 280

    To have a 1911 in a 9mm or any other smaller round is like having a classic muscle car with a v6.

    Comment

    • #62
      Robert1234
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2006
      • 3080

      Originally posted by Schultz28
      To have a 1911 in a 9mm or any other smaller round is like having a classic muscle car with a v6.
      Way back in 1987, we knew the GNX would become seriously collectable. Did we dream one could sell for $165,000, though? Maybe.


      Yeah it is.

      Comment

      • #63
        Robert1234
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2006
        • 3080

        Originally posted by Schultz28
        To have a 1911 in a 9mm or any other smaller round is like having a classic muscle car with a v6.
        Or worse, a flat-four cylinder. Oh the shame...

        The most extreme roadgoing Subaru, ever. The STI will be offered as a five-passenger sedan only, with a six-speed manual.

        Comment

        • #64
          gao1976
          Senior Member
          • Apr 2011
          • 708

          Sig XO FTW


          Sent from my iPhone using my toes
          sigpic

          Comment

          • #65
            AKexpat
            Member
            • May 2014
            • 375

            Originally posted by Brown Rock
            My first 1911 was a SA Mil Spec. Right after I got it I wanted to upgrade it with all of the Loaded like features. If I had to do it all over again, I would have bought the Loaded. With all the money I spent trying to turn my mil spec into a Loaded I could have had a Loaded and much funds for plenty of ammo.
            Well, I am still looking at the OP's wording: first 1911, price range, etc. If he finds he does not like the platform, an RIA is a good place to start without shelling a lot of bucks.


            Originally posted by rubbman
            If you have not bought yet consider the RIA chambered in .38 Super!
            I don't know what the OP has shot before insofar as caliber. The .38 Super is a pretty snappy recoil cartridge, on a par with the .40 S&W. I have previously owned a Colt Combat Commander in .38 Super in matte nickel. Beautiful gun to behold. It shot all over the paper. As this cartridge (in a Colt) headspaces on the miniscule semi-rebated rim, I bought a Bar-Sto barrel for it that headspaces the cartridge on the case mouth, like a 9mm or a .45 ACP. No joy, so I sold it with the Bar-Sto barrel for what I paid for the original gun. Sad tale for me.

            Originally posted by Robert1234
            Better idea from the perspective of ammo cost (or brass availability if you're reloading) would be 9mm.

            9mm 1911 is fun.
            I agree that the 9mm is fun. It is an easy cartridge to shoot (I used to have a S&W Model 39 many years ago) and even with that alloy frame it was a pleasure to shoot with the single-stack mag. I just did not like the platform and gravitated to the 1911 platform. I have never shot a 1911 GM steel 9mm, but I'll bet it is like shooting a small .32 auto compared to any of the other above-mentioned calibers insofar as recoil is concerned. Even the small .380 pistols are blowback operated and a bit hard on recoil.

            My HD/SD/truck gun is not there for fun. You folks in CA should know that you need the biggest bang for the buck in a 10-round or less magazine, and a 9mm, IMO, just doesn't cut it.

            Originally posted by Schultz28
            To have a 1911 in a 9mm or any other smaller round is like having a classic muscle car with a v6.
            If the OP does not like the recoil of the .45 ACP, the 10mm. the .40 S&W, or the .38 Super in a steel gun, the 9mm might just be the answer. Bigger being better is not a solution if you cannot handle it. Confidence in hitting the target in the right place is the key, even if it "only" a .22 LR.

            One word about aluminum framed pistols: Don't. In my experimentation days I bought a used Para-Ord-14 .45 aluminum frame pistol for $350. It was a homemade piece put together from a kit frame and standard 1911 SARCO/Numrich parts or other parts. It ran well, was well fitted, but my complaint is that it was very heavy with a full mag and too light with a nearly empty mag, which changed the balance considerably upon firing it. I sold it about 6 months after I bought it.

            All this talk by me is moot because several posts back the OP decided upon his choice.

            Good luck to the OP, sincerely!

            Jim

            Comment

            • #66
              floyd7
              Member
              • Apr 2008
              • 141

              Or you could just watch this video of the 1911



              Worth the view...Enjoy.

              Comment

              • #67
                AKexpat
                Member
                • May 2014
                • 375

                Sorry. I could not make it past the 2 minute mark.

                Next...

                Comment

                • #68
                  Nrai2020
                  Senior Member
                  • Apr 2013
                  • 2343

                  Originally posted by timbo399
                  I have 3 1911's all have been flawless-- but my Dad many years ago, just a month after I started getting into shooting decided he wanted HD gun -- I told him just get something simple like a Glock but he went to store and bought SA Milspec- said that's what he used in the Army so was used to platform.

                  I had not yet owned a SA 1911 and was worried would not be 100% reliable out of the box for him, boy was I wrong- that SA Milspec or whatever the very base model is never choked on a round in the 50 times we took it to the range and 2 defensive classes we took together- that 1911 would eat anything!!

                  Has a great trigger and feel too- I really loved it. I understand though if some people looking for options that base model doesn't have, but that SA Dad got was a serious work horse and I slept well at night knowing he had it. I was extremely impressed for the price . I now own a Wilson and SA TRP but love shooting Dad's old SA milspec.
                  I would cherish that 1911!! Great story!

                  Comment

                  • #69
                    charlestheignorant
                    Member
                    • Sep 2015
                    • 104

                    I guess I could of added some more info... This will definetly not be my first gun... It wont be my "bump in the night gun"... It wont be my prepper gun... It will be my "hey its a 1911 and ive always wanted one so shut it" gun lol. I have shot 1911's and i just like them. Now I dont see it as a practical HD/SD/prepper/SHTF gun... I have my HK USP for that Thanks to everyone for the advice... especially thanks to those who stayed within/close to my price range... If I could id drop 3000 on a 1911... But i cant...

                    Comment

                    • #70
                      davek8s
                      Senior Member
                      • Jan 2011
                      • 2014

                      Originally posted by Schultz28
                      To have a 1911 in a 9mm or any other smaller round is like having a classic muscle car with a v6.


                      I would disagree with that statement.

                      While a Mustang, Camaro or Charger with 6 cylinders is an abomination there's nothing wrong with a weapon chambered in whatever caliber the owner desires.

                      I own a 1911 in 45 and 2 in 9mm. I want to add a 10mm and 22 to the collection. I'm not going to let someone else's definition of what a 1911 is dictate what I choose to enjoy.

                      Comment

                      • #71
                        grim1U
                        Senior Member
                        • Jun 2007
                        • 1363

                        Between the two you are looking at, get the loaded. It will have most modern features preferred by a large majority of shooters for only a little extra cost.

                        The MilSpec is a great base gun if you are looking to spend a lot if money on upgrades. Though, I know a few people who prefer the basic MilSpec type 1911's and are very effective with them.

                        Comment

                        • #72
                          vinny_land
                          CGN Contributor
                          • Dec 2007
                          • 3374

                          Originally posted by teh rick
                          Btw OP, if you are new to these threads it's kinda like asking which religion is the best
                          I think you should buy the option you like the best so go play with them in person. It won't be your last 1911 (unless you end up hating the gun) and you can always recoup a good amount used

                          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          +1 on that comment.

                          Just got my TRP out of jail and going to put pics up later. OP, it really comes down to how much you're willing to spend and like mentioned above, you're going to get many different recommendations from everyone. Between the Milspec and the Loaded model, I'd go with the Loaded. Yet if you're going to stay within that budget, I would give the RIA/Armscor line a good look. The Citadel is a sweet pistol!
                          "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • #73
                            ThugLovin
                            Junior Member
                            • Aug 2016
                            • 6

                            Originally posted by Mark77
                            TRP is basically a Loaded with Armory Kote finish, checkering in front, and a magwell. To some, these features aren't worth paying an extra 700 dollars. To me, they are, that's why I'm getting a TRP

                            To TS, I'd say get the Loaded. It has a LOT of nice features and it only costs a bit more (as compared to the price difference between the Loaded and TRP).
                            Aren't the tolerances are tighter on the TRP? And the trigger pull is less than the loaded. I just dropped a boatload of $$$ on my first .45 as well (for a competition gun), and I'm trying hard not to second-guess my decision for getting the TRP (rather than the Loaded).

                            Comment

                            • #74
                              vinny_land
                              CGN Contributor
                              • Dec 2007
                              • 3374

                              Originally posted by ThugLovin
                              Aren't the tolerances are tighter on the TRP? And the trigger pull is less than the loaded. I just dropped a boatload of $$$ on my first .45 as well (for a competition gun), and I'm trying hard not to second-guess my decision for getting the TRP (rather than the Loaded).
                              Buyer's remorse???

                              I was on the same boat as you ThugLovin, and don't regret getting the TRP. Both are well made 1911s and yes the TRP has a "better" overall fit and finish. The additional features such as the front strap checkering, magwell, and adjustable sights make it worth the additional cost, especially if it's the full rail model. Has a very RoboCop feel to it too (original 1987 version).
                              "1911 mag, twinkie, twinkie, cupcake, primary weapon mag"

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              • #75
                                ThugLovin
                                Junior Member
                                • Aug 2016
                                • 6

                                Originally posted by vinny_land
                                Buyer's remorse???

                                I was on the same boat as you ThugLovin, and don't regret getting the TRP. Both are well made 1911s and yes the TRP has a "better" overall fit and finish. The additional features such as the front strap checkering, magwell, and adjustable sights make it worth the additional cost, especially if it's the full rail model. Has a very RoboCop feel to it too (original 1987 version).
                                No buyer's remorse - until I get my hands on it and run through 200 rounds! (will be reviewed soon)

                                I don't like adjustable sights - the TRP I have on order has fixed. Ok, I'll stop hijacking this thread.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1