Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

The Mighty 10MM!

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #76
    cid`
    Member
    • Apr 2013
    • 180

    Lowly peasant here, so far, G20g4 and G29g4. I purely reload but nothing serious yet, full power 800X and HP38's are pretty snappy.

    Read somewhere that underwood does 800x case full's to achieve their velocities.

    Comment

    • #77
      GW
      I need a LIFE!!
      • May 2004
      • 16078

      Originally posted by Oceanbob
      Yeah a Police Supply, law enforcement only store...
      Well, not completely.
      They do honor GSSF cards there but only for rostered Glocks.
      And their service is polite to us non-LEO's as well
      sigpicNRA Benefactor Member

      Comment

      • #78
        igorts
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2007
        • 1562

        Originally posted by cid`
        Lowly peasant here, so far, G20g4 and G29g4. I purely reload but nothing serious yet, full power 800X and HP38's are pretty snappy.

        Read somewhere that underwood does 800x case full's to achieve their velocities.
        Lifetime NRA Member

        Comment

        • #79
          cid`
          Member
          • Apr 2013
          • 180

          igorts,
          Awesome! Will try that out next time I load another batch.. 800X has been a challenge, gonna try what stilly mentioned, some dildo from his collection to help settle/drop the powder.

          Comment

          • #80
            igorts
            Senior Member
            • Jan 2007
            • 1562

            The Mighty 10MM!

            I have some Swamp Fox loads. He used longshot powder, 10.6grn for
            Muzzle Velocity: 1340 fps
            Muzzle Energy: 717 ft. lbs
            Beating underwood ammo.
            Use caution on those loads. Real 10mm power
            Last edited by igorts; 08-22-2015, 12:18 PM.
            Lifetime NRA Member

            Comment

            • #81
              Bill Steele
              Calguns Addict
              • Sep 2010
              • 5028

              Originally posted by igorts
              I have some Swamp Fox loads. He used longshot powder, 10.6grn for
              Muzzle Velocity: 1340 fps
              Muzzle Energy: 717 ft. lbs
              Beating underwood ammo.
              Use caution on those loads. Real 10mm power
              If you are still talking about 180gr jacketed style bullets, that is an EXTREMELY HOT load. If you are shooting out of a stock Glock chamber, unless you have extensive reloading experience with loads in the twilight zone, leave this one off your list.
              When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

              Comment

              • #82
                Ronanld
                Member
                • Dec 2013
                • 118

                I use 9.4 gr of LongShot with a 180 gr bullet. I would work up very slowly from there if I was inclined to use that 10.6 gr load, which I am not. Hot loads strain the gun and punish the shooter for no good reason. I am a huge 10mm fan and enjoy shooting 50-75 rounds without getting beat up.

                Comment

                • #83
                  igorts
                  Senior Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • 1562

                  The Mighty 10MM!

                  Originally posted by Bill Steele
                  If you are still talking about 180gr jacketed style bullets, that is an EXTREMELY HOT load. If you are shooting out of a stock Glock chamber, unless you have extensive reloading experience with loads in the twilight zone, leave this one off your list.

                  Its not my load but Swamp Fox's.
                  He passed away, but he was famous for hot loads.
                  I got a spread sheet with some factory and custom loads for mighty 10mm.
                  Not recommended for beginners
                  Last edited by igorts; 08-22-2015, 9:54 PM.
                  Lifetime NRA Member

                  Comment

                  • #84
                    JTROKS
                    I need a LIFE!!
                    • Nov 2007
                    • 13093

                    I used to hotrod my 10mm handloads. I've bulged some brass on first firing, but no kabooms or broken guns. I would start by finding out the longest COAL for my magazine and then load up some test rounds if they will feed through the mag and reliably feed into the chamber. I used HS7, AA7 and AA9. With my 7" barrel long slide Javelina reaching top velocity is easy. I had fun doing it, but in the end my 44 magnum is still king. I just settled for warm loads when I carried my 10mm during hunts.
                    The wise man said just find your place
                    In the eye of the storm
                    Seek the roses along the way
                    Just beware of the thorns...
                    K. Meine

                    Comment

                    • #85
                      Bill Steele
                      Calguns Addict
                      • Sep 2010
                      • 5028

                      Originally posted by igorts
                      Its not my load but Swamp Fox's.
                      He passed away, but he was famous for hot loads.
                      I got a spread sheet with some factory and custom loads for mighty 10mm.
                      Not recommended for beginners
                      I understand. In my stock G20's (with a 22lb ISMI recoil spring), I get 1300fps from jacketed 180gr bullets, loaded to 1.260" OAL, with 9.8gr of LS. I have gone as high as 10gr, but the extractor rash starts getting pretty bad at that level and I am not seeing significant velocity increases, maybe another 10fps average. 10.4 is really pushing the envelope. Guys wanting to go there really should include an aftermarket barrel like a KKM to give your cases as much support as you can and work up slowly inspecting each and every case.
                      When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                      Comment

                      • #86
                        igorts
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • 1562

                        True. I switch to aftermarket barrels with full support right away. Saves from bulged cases in oem Glock barrels
                        Lifetime NRA Member

                        Comment

                        • #87
                          Bill Steele
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 5028

                          Originally posted by igorts
                          True. I switch to aftermarket barrels with full support right away. Saves from bulged cases in oem Glock barrels
                          Good practice when loading very hot. It really does add an extra margin of safety.

                          Out of my stock Glock chambers, anything over about 1250fps with 180gr jacketed, I have to use a G-Rx pass through die if I want subsequent reloads to chamber in my tighter chamber 10mm barrels (1911's, AM barrels, etc.).

                          In the end, 180gr XTP going 1150fps will have devastating terminal ballistic performance for anything animate in North America.
                          When asked what qualities he most valued in his generals, Napoleon said, "give me lucky ones."

                          Comment

                          • #88
                            Army GI
                            Veteran Member
                            • Apr 2007
                            • 4284

                            I've always been intrigued by the 10mm.

                            When I first got into guns in the late 90s, I thought the 45ACP was the end all be all of powerful semi automatic handguns. Desert Eagle 50AE and similar were not practical.

                            But when I learned of the 10mm, by bias of the venerable 45ACP blinded me to thegreatness of the 10mm. Its the most powerful pistol cartridge thats practical in a semi automatic handgun. My next handgun purchase will be a Glock 20 in 10mm. My cartridfe will be the 155gr loading from Underwood Ammo for 800 ftlbs of muzzle energy. More than twice as much energy as the 45ACP
                            Last edited by Army GI; 08-23-2015, 8:49 AM.
                            I purge the wicked. The impious madness must end. I shall be the instrument of Armageddon. It has gotten out of hand...
                            WTB: Winchester /Miroki 1895 .30-06; No1. Mk. III SMLE .303 British; M96 Swedish Mauser 6.5x55mm; M39 Finnish Mosin 7.62x54r; S&W 625 .45 ACP; Glock 17.

                            Comment

                            • #89
                              motoman96
                              Member
                              • May 2015
                              • 482

                              There's a brand new glock 20 on armslist for 495...
                              Originally posted by Big Jake
                              I will admit, however, that I've known a few ladies that I "helped" to say a few religious things. They screamed it quite loudly as I recall!
                              Originally posted by Lonestargrizzly
                              You cant tell me that her lips dont look like the business end of an anus.

                              Comment

                              • #90
                                Oceanbob
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Jun 2010
                                • 12720

                                Originally posted by Bill Steele
                                Good practice when loading very hot. It really does add an extra margin of safety.

                                Out of my stock Glock chambers, anything over about 1250fps with 180gr jacketed, I have to use a G-Rx pass through die if I want subsequent reloads to chamber in my tighter chamber 10mm barrels (1911's, AM barrels, etc.).

                                In the end, 180gr XTP going 1150fps will have devastating terminal ballistic performance for anything animate in North America.
                                Agree ^^^^^

                                This is great advice for you potential reloaders that want to push the envelope.

                                With 10MM its all about pressure. I remember in the "reloading Club" over at Glock Talk in the early days in 2003 with Mike McNett (owner Doubletap) and the importance of aftermarket barrels with better case support. Later Mike Willard (who passed in 2011, RIP and his ammo SwampFox)....in those conversations was Kevin, who started Underwood Ammo with his first offering of 10MM that was hot, yet had safe pressures. A real nice guy as well.

                                I felt that SwampFox ammo was potentially dangerous when some members had total case separation and fractured frames...

                                Bill Steele is right about the danger of pushing the envelope above 1300 FPS. Adding more powder doesn't increase velocity but does add more pressure into the danger zone. It's a bell curve folks. You can reach a comfortable 1275 FPS without going over pressure and for this I personally use Longshot because it meters much better than 800X which is like trying to meter dead worms....haha.

                                Don't forget that another way that is safe to add Feet Per Second is to add barrel length. Shooting 10 from a 6 inch or 9 inch barrel will get you to the promised land.

                                So, yeah. Get an aftermarket barrel if you're going to reload for high velocity.
                                The reason is case support.

                                Hi pressure that is dangerous looks like this. That's a normal Starline case on the right.



                                The Glock barrel on the right has a smile curve and the chamber is .007 thousandths of and inch Wider. This is fine for function, but hot loads will expand the case to the chamber wall and that case will have to be resized full length to operate in a non Glock barrel.

                                The KKM on the left has a shallow smile curve and a tighter chamber. These work well, however tighter and less 'ramp' can cause feeding problems. So it's a compromise.



                                Be safe my friends. Always wear proper safety glasses and gloves when shooting. Especially 10MM. I know plenty of people who didn't lose an eye and still have fingers because they followed these rules.

                                Be well

                                Bob
                                May the Bridges I burn light the way.

                                Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

                                Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1