Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

1911 grip screws

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #31
    Citadelgrad87
    I need a LIFE!!
    • Mar 2007
    • 16976

    Originally posted by HopetonBrown
    So allen/torx reasons are cosmetic, slot head reasons are practical. If I'm at a range an hour from home and I forgot my tool kit, I can just go to the safe area or a side berm, depending on range rules, and use a shell casing to tighten. That's more important to me than chewed up screws; they're less than a buck from Brownells. I'll take athletics over aesthetics, but everyone has their own priorities.
    Do you forget your glasses and ear protection? How hard is it to toss BOTH a standard, Phillips, AND an Allen key set in your range bag?

    And how many times have you had to step to the side to tighten the grip screws? I think your "practical" choice is a non issue. There's nothig IMpractical about Allen head screws on a 1911.

    Seriously, I've been shooting my 1911 since 1987 and have NEVER had a situation that required tightening any kind of grip screw at the range. Sigs, HKs, I cant think of a time where a loose grip screw occurred at the range.

    I don't care to argue vanilla versus chocolate, but it's goofy to suggest that somehow my postion is solely based on aesthetics.

    If you have an issue, ask me, I'll gladly loan you either a screwdriver or an Allen wrench. I don't carry torx, though. I'm positive I'm not the only guy who carries a selection of tools to the range.

    The debate was the goofy assertion that it was designed a certain way, so that's the correct way.
    Originally posted by tony270
    It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
    Originally posted by repubconserv
    Print it out and frame it for all I care
    Originally posted by el chivo
    I don't need to think at all..
    Originally posted by pjsig
    You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    sigpic

    Comment

    • #32
      Citadelgrad87
      I need a LIFE!!
      • Mar 2007
      • 16976

      Originally posted by HopetonBrown
      Certain harder grip material, like G10 and Alumagrips make it easier for the screw to come loose. All my 1911s have G10 grips. Softer material, like wood or rubber make it harder for the screw to shoot loose.



      But the examples you gave were.


      Aesthetic reason no. 1.



      Aesthetic reason no. 2.


      Aesthetic reason no. 3.

      Nothing wrong with wanting your guns to be as pretty as a picture.
      Nope. Torn up equipment isn't aesthetic. Boogered up screws become unusable. That's not aesthetic.

      My secondary reason was aesthetic.

      I see you're flustered and need to reduce my position to effeminate need for "pretty".

      That's Internet speak for you're not listening.

      The position I responded to was the goofy assertion that the 1911 was designed with flat head screws, therefore flat head screws are best.

      Of course, this ignores the fact that Allen screws weren't invented yet.

      The base plate screwdriver was also negated by the fact that many 1911 magazines have bumpers.

      You want to discuss practical over effeminate need for pretty? Let's discuss planning ahead and having a properly stocked range bag.

      Eta both screw types perform exactly the same function. It is, therefore, dishonest to say ONE is cosmetic. One can choose one option over the other for cosmetic reasons, but they both hold the panels on the same way.
      Last edited by Citadelgrad87; 03-18-2015, 6:56 AM.
      Originally posted by tony270
      It's easy to be a keyboard warrior, you would melt like wax in front of me, you wouldn't be able to move your lips.
      Originally posted by repubconserv
      Print it out and frame it for all I care
      Originally posted by el chivo
      I don't need to think at all..
      Originally posted by pjsig
      You are talking to someone who already won this lame conversation, not a brick a wall. Too bad you don't realize it.
      XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
      sigpic

      Comment

      • #33
        sjg1966
        Senior Member
        • Apr 2012
        • 1047

        Originally posted by Bainter1212
        Might as well pick up some spare bushings and the proper bushing tool while you have the credit card out.
        Sometimes you will have bushings unscrew along with the grip screw....they are almost impossible to separate from the screw without ruining the threads.
        ^THIS^
        Watch Astro steal brass and take it into his cage....
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4B_pd-yRWE&hd=1

        Glock 20C at indoor range....
        http://youtu.be/T4bP8DnhT9Q

        Comment

        • #34
          Rastoff
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2009
          • 750

          I find this whole discussion strange, but common for the internet. Let's sum up...

          The 1911 was designed from the ground up to be a military tool. As such, it was designed to be completely maintained (i.e. detail stripped) without any extra tools. This picture is marvelous: (thanks VictorFranko)



          The gun was invented from nothing by J.M. Browning. He didn't "pick" a slotted screw for the grip panels, he designed them. I had forgotten, but the real slotted screw for the 1911 does indeed have a concave slot. It was designed this way so a normal screwdriver AND a .45ACP casing or the mag follower could be used in a pinch.

          I realize the value of this because I had exactly this problem. I was at a training class and one of my screws came out. They were Torx screws and no one had the proper driver. I did find a replacement set, but they are Allen. Of course I now carry the proper tool with me, but had they been slotted screws I could have tightened the 3 remaining screws without any extra tools.

          This is why I say the slotted are superior. Yes, both Allen and Torx are less likely to be buggered. But, they don't fit the original theory of a battle tool.

          For the record, I've seen far more Allen head screws damaged beyond repair than slotted. Sure, lots of careless guys bugger slotted screws, but they can still function. Strip an Allen and the fix is to cut a slot in it to get it out. Funny how that works huh? I've never seen a Torx buggered beyond use, but I've seen a few (like I had above) where we couldn't find the specialized tool necessary to tighten them.

          So, yeah, even as I tout the value of slotted screws, I have Allen on my gun:



          Go figure.
          Remember, you can post here because they died over there.

          www.BlackRiverTraining.com

          Comment

          • #35
            Dinosaur Jr
            Senior Member
            • May 2012
            • 1707

            I hate slotted screws and flat head screwdrivers. I see no logical reason to continue embracing 15th century technology when superior modern alternatives are available.

            #60 O-rings will prevent "screw creep" like a boss.

            Hex or Torx for me. I always have tools in my range bag.
            Laws against murder and attempted murder should have been the only gun control laws ever needed in America...

            Comment

            • #36
              PseudoTsuga
              Senior Member
              • Oct 2013
              • 803

              ...and if the tools aren't in my range bag, they're in my Sprinter van in the parking lot.
              "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy."
              -F. Scott Fitzgerald

              Comment

              • #37
                morrcarr67
                I need a LIFE!!
                • Jul 2010
                • 15053

                I just put torx on both my 1911's

                Sent from my DROID RAZR HD
                Yes you can have 2 C&R 03 FFL's; 1 in California and 1 in a different state.

                Originally posted by Erion929

                Comment

                • #38
                  Voo
                  Senior Member
                  • Feb 2008
                  • 1702

                  It's easier for me to carry a small allen wrench (or wrenches), that fit perfectly, than a larger screw driver that will not mar the screw. This is across platforms, Ruger, 1911s', Sigs..etc etc

                  I realize JMB ingeniously designed the 1911 to be field stripped with minimal basics, but that doesn't mean it is the 'only' way or even 'best' way to do it. I dont' use my safety as a punch or my sear spring to remove the mag release. No, I'm not in a warzone and I'm not out in Australia pretending that Thunderdome is at my doorstep. I have dedicated tools to handle those operations all in the comfort of my range bag...

                  It's the same reason we call 'idiot marks" idiot marks. I see marred screws the same way, "idiot" for not using the right tool to get the job done. I dont' baby my guns, but I certainly don't want them all jacked up because I didnt use the right tool..
                  Aloha snackbar!

                  Comment

                  • #39
                    Fishslayer
                    In Memoriam
                    • Jan 2010
                    • 13035

                    Originally posted by Voo
                    I have dedicated tools to handle those operations all in the comfort of my range bag...

                    It's the same reason we call 'idiot marks" idiot marks. I see marred screws the same way, "idiot" for not using the right tool to get the job done. I dont' baby my guns, but I certainly don't want them all jacked up because I didnt use the right tool..
                    I'm sure we all have proper hollow ground screwdrivers in many sizes at home in the garage as well, right?
                    "He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
                    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
                    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."


                    Originally Posted by JackRydden224
                    I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
                    Originally posted by redcliff
                    A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

                    Comment

                    • #40
                      ptgarcia
                      Senior Member
                      • Oct 2010
                      • 744

                      I like 10-8 Performance slotted grip screws for my 1911.
                      Paul

                      Comment

                      • #41
                        Voo
                        Senior Member
                        • Feb 2008
                        • 1702

                        Originally posted by Fishslayer
                        I'm sure we all have proper hollow ground screwdrivers in many sizes at home in the garage as well, right?
                        Ok, ya' got me... But a few things always come to mind when I consider when hauling stuff around.

                        1) how heavy is it? I'm not a big guy and lugging ammo + extra kit + water gets old..

                        2) If I lose it, how bad am I going to cry? I'd rather carry and lose a few allen's than one of my snap-on screwdrivers ;-)

                        Screwdrivers are easy, but I find hexes that much more convenient.
                        Aloha snackbar!

                        Comment

                        • #42
                          bk23103
                          Senior Member
                          • Oct 2014
                          • 1095

                          I too debated this very issue. I found myself waking in a cold sweat on a nightly basis for nearly a week as I pondered... slotted screws or hex screws? I just didn't know what to do. Finally, the answer came to me...





                          Slotted screws + Hex Screws = SLEX SCREWS!

                          /thread

                          Comment

                          • #43
                            Rastoff
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 750

                            Originally posted by bk23103
                            Slotted screws + Hex Screws = SLEX SCREWS!
                            Fantastic! But $12 for four screws? I'll just deal with what I have.

                            EDIT: Disregard. I looked up 1911 Grip Screws and it seems that people are proud of these things. $12 is actually toward the low end.
                            Last edited by Rastoff; 03-19-2015, 11:38 AM.
                            Remember, you can post here because they died over there.

                            www.BlackRiverTraining.com

                            Comment

                            • #44
                              tacticalcity
                              I need a LIFE!!
                              • Aug 2006
                              • 10929

                              I've got Allen/Hex on mine. Have been tempted to change them out to Torx.

                              FYI, Strike Industries has really great pricing on their Torx screws.

                              Comment

                              • #45
                                stormvet
                                I need a LIFE!!
                                • Mar 2010
                                • 12681

                                We'll argue and or debate anything here on Calguns, this one is pretty funny though.
                                Just buy the style you like best and you'll be good to go, it's pretty easy for me. Whatever came with the darn gun is what I use. If I switch to an aftermarket G10 type grip I'll use O-rings, if not I don't worry about it. Been shooting 1911s for a very long time, rarely ever have a grip screw loosen up and never had one brake. If I have to tighten my grip screws with a .45 shell casing every 500-1000 rounds, I'm fixing that problem, cause something's not right.
                                Im a warmonger baby, I got blood in my eyes and I'm looking at you.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1