Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

S&W Shield.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • #16
    NapaPlinker
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2010
    • 965

    Originally posted by gcm
    Never had any issues with my Shield in the 300-400 rounds I've shot since January.

    I'm not as accurate with it though, I still need to get used to that trigger. Its my first S&W gun and the trigger is alot stiffer compared to my Glocks and Sigs.

    I was actually upset to find that I was more accurate with my shield than I am with my USP 9. And shocked.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Pew Pew Pew.

    Comment

    • #17
      NapaPlinker
      Senior Member
      • Jun 2010
      • 965

      [aQUOTE=CessnaDriver;15911277]I will get mine soon.



      What spring did you use to do the disconnect mod?

      Seems 1911 mag release springs are popular to cut down for this.





      Also, any real issues with the grip for you?

      I see so many putting talon grips on.[/QUOTE]


      That's what I used. I don't mind the grip at all, it is thinner.. But that is the point. The Glock 26 honestly was not comfortable to me.



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Pew Pew Pew.

      Comment

      • #18
        ccoyle
        Junior Member
        • Feb 2015
        • 22

        I've had the Shield as my EDC gun for about six months now and love it. Had my choices narrowed down to the Shield or Springfield XD - both about the same price, but the Shield just fit my hand better. I don't have much experience with triggers, so I'm a poor judge of whether the Shield's trigger is too stiff or not, but I have had no trouble plugging holes in targets at close combat ranges. The Shield is definitely a great gun at a good price.

        Comment

        • #19
          v.kevin
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2014
          • 715

          I bought the SA XDs 9 3.3" via SSE and after 1000 rounds, it's been flawless.

          I met a guy at the range who had a Shield and we fired a magazine out of each other's pistols. I like my XDs better. It seems to fit my hand better and feels like it has less recoil.

          I think it mostly comes down to how it feels since everyone has different sized hands.

          Comment

          • #20
            Cal10
            Member
            • Feb 2015
            • 323

            I have the XDS 45 and the shields in 9 and 40 the grip on the shields is long and skinny, the XDS more squared. The recoil on the XDS feels like the 40 shield.

            Comment

            • #21
              v.kevin
              Senior Member
              • Dec 2014
              • 715

              The Shield is lighter than the XDs too so that may have something to do with the difference in recoil. I've heard mostly great things about the Shield.

              Comment

              • #22
                WartHog
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2012
                • 4639

                My Shield 9mm's trigger pull was nearly 8 lbs. I installed the Apex Fully Machined Sear and that dropped the pull by about 1-1/2 lbs or so. I still think my pull is too heavy so next step is to install a Glock #32241 trigger spring from gunsprings.com. This is another popular mod which lowers trigger pull weight by about a 1/2 lb without affecting reliability.

                When you're in there replacing the Sear, that's the time to delete the Mag Safety. For the replacement spring, Ace Hardware sells a #1 Spring that is the correct diameter but needs to be cut to slightly longer than the stock spring. The Ace spring is about an inch long so if you f**k up and cut too short, you get a couple more tries to get it the right length.

                Here's some YT videos on doing the Sear install and also the Mag Safety delete.





                Originally posted by Sierra57
                Civil War 2.0 - If it comes to pass, the America-hating Leftists will have brought it upon themselves. I value Freedom more than their sorry lives and the form of Governance they espouse, which offers no Freedom and complete servitude to the State.
                "We have four boxes with which to defend our Freedoms: the Soap box, the Ballot box, the Jury box, and the Cartridge box" - Ed Howdershelt

                Comment

                • #23
                  static2126
                  Calguns Addict
                  • Mar 2013
                  • 5619

                  Originally posted by .45 ACP
                  I picked the Glock over the Shield. The shield is thinner and slightly shorter at the slide. But SW still has not fixed the guide rod alignment problem. For me that killed the Shield as a viable carry gun. Reliability > Slightly smaller print

                  Have 3k rounds through mine, I feel this issue is overblown. Not one issue. I have even run this in a class.

                  Comment

                  • #24
                    static2126
                    Calguns Addict
                    • Mar 2013
                    • 5619

                    Originally posted by NapaPlinker
                    I was actually upset to find that I was more accurate with my shield than I am with my USP 9. And shocked.


                    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    More accurate with my shield vs my G19...go figure

                    Comment

                    • #25
                      iluvmycolt
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2013
                      • 3247

                      Congrats, OP.

                      Comment

                      • #26
                        Terol
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 86

                        I had a glock 26, and just didn't feel comfortable with it..... Bought a Shield 9 SSE when first available... It's my CCW EDC... I was out of state last year and was almost talked into the APEX trigger..... Decided to wait to have my LGS do the job... He checked it out for me and told me not to have it done.. Each to their own..... Still very happy with it after a 1000 rds or so.
                        BTW, I love my Glock 17.....no hater here.

                        Comment

                        • #27
                          ElDub1950
                          Calguns Addict
                          • Aug 2012
                          • 5688

                          I bought the Shield 9mm and the XDs 3.3 9mm BiTone. Wanted to love the XDs and definitely prefer the XDs grip and the stock FO front sight. But I just shoot the Shield so much better for some reason. But that's why every gun isn't identical .. different people have different preferences

                          Comment

                          • #28
                            MotoriousRacing
                            Senior Member
                            • Oct 2012
                            • 1971

                            I'm buying one as soon as they are back in stock. I wished I got an XDs when they were on roster. I do have a G26.

                            My CCW interview got moved up from November 2015 to 4/2!!!

                            Comment

                            • #29
                              volosong
                              Member
                              • Mar 2015
                              • 155

                              Originally posted by static2126
                              More accurate with my shield vs my G19...go figure
                              Exact opposite for me. Love the form factor of the 9 Shield, it just fits so good in my large hands. But the trigger causes me to not be very accurate. I'm sure it is just me and my 'style'. Eventually I'll have some internal organ transplants performed. My G19 is rock steady . . . but even that can't hold a candle to my Mark II. That thing can send a projectile through the eye of a needle.
                              Last edited by volosong; 03-03-2015, 4:25 PM.
                              sigpic

                              Deut 6:5
                              ---
                              "Ha ha! You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia'".
                              - Vizzini during his 'battle of wits' with the Man in Black

                              Comment

                              • #30
                                .45 ACP
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2014
                                • 1545

                                Originally posted by static2126
                                Have 3k rounds through mine, I feel this issue is overblown. Not one issue. I have even run this in a class.
                                Maybe but I tend to lean towards it being more common than you think. When I was thinking of getting a shield, I joined the SW forums and read lots of threads about the issue. It's apparently so common that SW support needs no explanation about the issue and they just send out a new guide rod and give everyone the "twist until fit" explanation. For a EDC gun, that's unacceptable to me personally. Last thing I want to deal with when I draw a gun is a locked slide because of a faulty guide rod.

                                Glocks may not be pretty but they are reliable and then some.
                                The Second Amendment ex-tends, prima facie, to all instruments that constitute bearable arms, even those that were not in existence at the time of the founding. - The United States Supreme Court

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                UA-8071174-1